Week 6 - Inspiration

Discussion in 'Summer School 2022' started by norton94, Aug 7, 2022.

1. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

This is your spot this week to post anything and everything related to page design, color theory, composition, templates, calculations, symmetry, etc etc

I'll start off:
    I loooove working with templates, but I know that not everyone feels that way. Some people feel it's restrictive, but I'd like to give you permission right now to change a template to be anything you'd like. You can resize things. You can flip or rotate it. You can *gasp* delete elements or layers. Make it yours.

Here are two tutorials by different Pollys over the years that address this topic with different examples and

First Aaron @SirScrapalot posted Breaking the Chains: Making a Template Work for You - it's old, so a few of the images are no longer included but the message is perfect! Be sure to read the last line!

[​IMG]

A few years later Monica @dailydwelling posted on the same topic - Template Fun: Making it Uniquely Yours
    [​IMG]

Spoiler: She used the SAME template in all four of those pages... see how unique they can be when you use your own twist on them. You can use them over and over as a great launching point to save you time too!

umyesh likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for those tutorials Krista! I recently read a book about graphic design and it was fun to apply my reading to my scrapping!

norton94 likes this.
  3. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

I've been gone this week, but wanted to point out one more blog post about composition of double page spreads. This post by Cynthia @MrsPeel gives some great tips and examples.

[​IMG]

I love making spreads for the flow of printed albums! AND an extra tip... Consider orienting your double page vertically!
    I love how they break up albums and maintain interest as you flip through an album and pause to turn the book to see it all. It's always an exclamation point in your book when you have to turn your album sideways to view a vertical double page spread. Liz used to have some templates specifically made for this, but I am not seeing them now. There are however other horizontal spreads that lend themselves to be rotated easily. Consider for example:

[​IMG]

If you rotate the journaling and titles these could work nicely. On the top left, I would probably rotate the whole block with the brackets and put the title either above or below it. :wub

Below is an example of one I did in the past with a simple blocking style. The template is snapshots no. 3 (12x12 album) by Paislee Press. One of the pages is flipped, and the other is as it came.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022