Week 1 | Tutorial: Mastering Your Camera Phone

Discussion in 'We Are Storytellers' started by SirScrapalot, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I don't know about you, but these days I am using my camera phone more than ever to capture memories on the go. Even with a big fancy DSLR, I often choose my iPhone to take pictures because it's so much more convenient. Learning how to get great photos with your camera phone takes a bit of practice, and some apps that help the process along. Let's look at how to master taking camera phone photos.

1. Taking Phone Photos

Most camera phones these days have great camera apps. Sometimes, though, a few tweaks and additions can make the picture taking process even sweeter. I currently use an iPhone, and I absolutely LOVE using Camera+ as my preferred picture taking app. The bonus? It also has some great photo editing capabilities.

Camera+

I don't use an Android phone, but I've heard from many users that these two camera apps are great for taking pictures with an Android phone. Camera FV-5 gives you DSLR-like controls and Camera Zoom FX has great controls and photo editing capabilities.

Camera FV-5
    Camera Zoom FX

2. Editing Phone Photos

Once you've captured a great picture with your camera phone, the next step is to edit it so that it shines. There are literally thousands of apps for editing your photos, but these are the ones that really stand out:

For iPhone:
    VSCO Cam
    Pixlr Express
    Adobe Photoshop Touch

For Android phones:
    Adobe Photoshop Touch
    Aviary
    Snapseed

I personally use the editing in Camera+, but I am going to give Adobe Photoshop Touch a try, to see if I can fit it into my Photoshop workflow.

If adding graphics and words is something you are looking to do when editing your photos, these apps are really top notch:
    Over
    A Beautiful Mess, which is available on iPhone and Android
    Rhonna Designs on iPhone and Android

A couple more really great editing apps are
    pic tap go- this is by Totally RAD actions makers
    Snapseed
    Facetune

3. Storing/Transfering Photos
    So now that you have some great pictures taken and stored on your phone, how do you get them off your phone? In the past, getting your photos off your phone has meant connecting your phone to your computer and uploading them that way. Luckily, that's not the case anymore. Dropbox has got the uploading process down to a science.

Dropbox calls it Camera Upload, and to get it set up, you have to go into settings and switch on Camera Upload. From there you can choose if you want Dropbox to upload when you are only on wifi, or when you are on a cellular network as well.
    Dropbox is available for both iPhone and Android.

Recently, Dropbox introduced the Carousel app. Independent from the Dropbox app, Carousel is a photo gallery that will also upload your pictures automatically to your Dropbox account. In the gallery, photos are arranged by dates, similar to the "moments" idea of the native iPhone gallery. I personally use Carousel and love it.

Carousel for iPhone
    Carousel for Android

Another app that I've heard about for transferring photos is photo transfer app
    4. Tips and Tricks

There are a few things I've learned along the way that have helped me take better camera phone photos, here's a couple key things:

1. Don't zoom. When you use the zoom on a camera phone, inevitably your pictures will end up grainy and not the best quality. Try to get as close to the subject as you can, and snap the photo that way.
    2. The front facing camera is neat, but the pictures it takes aren't as nice. I am always trying to use the front facing camera on my iPhone to get a great selfie, but using the rear facing camera produces better quality pictures.
    3. Get a good case for your phone. If you are going to be using your phone to take pictures, a nice sturdy case is key. Also, make sure that the opening around the camera lens is black or clear. If it's a funky color, often that color comes across in all of your photos.
    4. Clean your lens from time to time. Like any little crevice on your phone, the lens can get dusty. From time to time, I take a soft dry q-tip and clean the lens. I can always tell when it needs it, because when it's dirty my pictures start looking hazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Great tips here, Aaron. I am definitely a huge fan of pic-tap-go. Love the q-tip idea...need to try that one!

3. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I did not know about that Carousel app from dropbox, I'm gonna have to check that out. Thanks for these great tips!

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

awesome info... a huge fan of pic tap go (its so darn easy!) and completely in love with the filters of VSCO.

never thought about the fact that the front facing camera is not as good. that is a great tip!

5. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Fantastic tips, Aaron! Will have to try some of these iPhone apps that I don't already have. Thanks!! :D

6. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

VSCO is my go to app for editing my photos. Love it to bits! Pic-tap-go is a close second. Thanks for the great tips.

7. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

And I'd never thought to clean it...

8. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I have a Windows Phone and mostly use Nokia's own apps for taking and editing, but I do also love PicsArt, which Allison Pennington told me about! Are we the only two Windows Phone users? lol If anyone else has recs, I'm interested.

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Great tips! I love VSCO and use it on every pic.

10. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

Thank you so much for such a great post! Lots of stuff I didn't know.

11. anrobe

anrobe YouTube addict

Great tips! I love that q-tip idea! Will definitely be following up on some of these! Thanks, Aaron!

12. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

Glad I could help everyone, even a little bit!

13. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Thanks for the great tips Aaron!! I have found I am starting to take more photos on my phone these days, its always there unlike my bigger camera! The tip on not zooming was helpful thanks as that is something I had been doing :) ... I have a windows phone so i will have to check the app store and see what is available for me in the way of photo editing apps!

14. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Thanks. Great tips. Need to use my phone more as a camera and less for email...

15. SanVHM

SanVHM Pluk de dag!

Thx for the great tips, I've got a IPhone and a Android one, always switching between apps/phones

16. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Great tips!

I use an android phone and my go to apps when my photos need editing are Snapseed, VSCO and Instagram's newest version. Instagram's newest version now has some pretty good editing tools in it in addition to the filters (highlights, shadows, brightness, contrast, etc.) Plus this newest version of allows you to reduce the opacity of the filters - which was much needed & great function, imo!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014