WARNING! PLEASE READ! I can't stress how important this is!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by zinzilah, Feb 27, 2015.

1. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

If you are reading this, it means your computer is still Okay, let's keep it that way! Below is the message I asked my husband *a computer geek who works for Super Computing Centre to write down to warn MY friends, too. He is a genius, so if he is terrified, there is a good reason, and this is REAL, I didn't hear it in the street, this happened today to our personal friend, and my husband is still trying to save his files as we speak. (*the problem with the virus is that it will use the address book of the ones it infected, so it will look legit with attachment, though, so do be VERY VERY careful with what you click)!!! STAY safe.

Warning : My neighbour received an email telling them their parcel had arrived but not been delivered, by unfortunate coincidence, they were actually waiting for a parcel and clicked on the attachment to open up the UPS tracking page to check on the state of their delivery. Sadly, they have now been infected with the torrentlocker virus and they get this message appearing (image below) [​IMG]
    Everything on their machine is now encrypted. Every doc, every image and unfortunately, all their accounting data for the company run from home. Payment to unlock is by bitcoin only and there is no known decryption (that I've found) for this variant without paying the ransom. The last backup was early December, so they will be losing a significant amount of data unless they pay. The payment page has a countdown timer of 72 hours and when it times out, the price for decryption rises. (currently about $500US in BTC).
    If it wasn't such a tragedy, it'd be quite awesome (by which I mean that I'm secretly impressed by this, but terrified of it happening to us!). To all my family, please backup stuff often and don't click on anything!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

3. Dana

Dana Dana

4. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

5. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Thanks for the heads up.

6. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I've gotten that one before on multiple occasions, but didn't open it because I knew I was not expecting a package. It's so scary because they keep getting more clever all the time with their ruses!

7. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I have as well Nancy and thankfully wasn't expecting a package so knew to delete it without opening.

I get that these people are smart and can do amazing things with computers but wouldn't it be nice if they used their skill and talent for something good rather than harming regular people.

8. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

If you are ever expecting a package, no shipping company will be sending you an attachment. If you get an email about the status of your delivery, don't click anything in the email. Just go to fedex/ups/dhl/whatever website by typing it in your web browser. If it's legit, you'll be able to see the status through the tracking number on their site. If there's no tracking number, then they aren't going to be emailing you anything anyway!

9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Thank you for the warning!

10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Thanks for the warning. What a horrible thing to happen. I happen to be waiting for a package to be delivered, and it could have easily been me receiving that cryptovirus. Yikes!

Here's the info on it at snopes.com: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/cryptolocker.asp. They reinforce that there is no way to protect yourselves other than not clicking on suspicious (or not so suspicious) attachments. And no way to crack the encryption without paying the ransom.

I guess your friend will have to pay up if they want their files back and hope that those criminals actually provide the decryption key.

11. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

Same thoughts I had. I get those emails a lot but they go straight to my junk mail. Never click emails links; it is always best to go to the site yourself.

12. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Wow, that is very scary :(

13. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

Disgusting that thugs have nothing better to do than ruin people's lives! Makes me angry!

14. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

It is sad that things like this happen...and that is easier for people to rob your life away from the computer than break into your house...

but as the Snopes (the link above by HeatherB) says: paying this people will only make them continue to do it...if none pays, they may stop...

The thing about the delivery packages is been around for a while (the last update on Snopes Cryptolocker is 2013 but I'm sure there was something since 2011)
    so I don't click in attachments no matter what....
    it is sad, and yes, makes us angry.... :(

I would like to know if the infection comes all the way to an online back up-
    In the Snopes description it says if you are backing up and your back up device is connected to your computer at the time of the hack, those files will also get infected....

Lorry? any thoughts?

15. lorryfach

If you are using a service like CrashPlan, then you could wipe your hard drive, start completely over, and back up to a previous time before you got infected. If your back up only backs up the most recent stuff, then it would be encrypted too and you would not be able to get it back without paying.

The CryptoLocker people do have a "good" reputation, as it were, of helping you get your stuff back if you pay. I'd rather give my money to CrashPlan, of course, but for those who are too late for that....

16. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

yes, I read about it, but reality is, people should learn to give their money to an online back up so there would be no need to pay these people up.... is like in any blackmail situation.....whilst there are people who pay...why are they going to stop?

if people just refuse to pay...then there is no point for them to keep doing it....I know there are people who infect just for the sport of it....but giving money to people like this is just wrong.....

17. lorryfach

I agree, it is wrong! Just one more reason we should all be investing in good, reliable backup!

18. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

I make it a rule to never open an attachment from anyone. Too many people who I know have been hit. Not worth it.

19. AmaG

AmaG Born in the wrong decade

Right? Wouldn't it be nice it people tried to better society than be greedy jerks?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  20. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Gosh, I have had some bad experiences in the past too.
    Luckily, I find my way around it, but I get cold sweat reading this stuff...
    Backing up on Crashplan in bits right now and I hope to have it all done in time before anything bad happens.

Thanks for the update!