Wall art or Photos? | Pad Patter 2.8.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Feb 8, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

What do you have hanging on your walls at home? Photos? Art? Both? Nothing?
    (I know photography is considered an art form in itself but today we'll consider them separately) Ever made your own art for a certain room or space?

I can't deal with blank walls. I think my kids are the same - there's blue-tacked art they've made in both their rooms and I used to blue tack posters in my room as a kid/ teen.
    I went to buy a big canvas yesterday to make something to hang above our bed with not much of an idea of what, just random pinterest inspirations (story of my life) but ended up finding something pre-made that I liked in a second hand store that was still inside it's plastic packaging for less than the cost of a blank canvas. I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't buy a massive super realistic still life painting in a gorgeous frame for a few dollars more but my brain was saying 'it's too big for any of the spaces at home and will be a massive pain to hang/support on the walls'.
    Bonus Q: do you go with your brain or your heart for buying/creating art?

Li Li Wee likes this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

My paintings and embroideries are on the walls, along with art made by my girls and a clock made by my boy.

bellbird likes this.
  3. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Both. I have a picture of some cardinals I had printed a couple of years ago, paintings by my DD, a cross stitch, some framed art we got on vacation as souvenirs, a huge map I framed myself! And a sign above the TV that says Love never fails.

I have postage stamp art in the hallway and one whole wall of DD's paintings. My son has Disney pins and a bunting I made on his walls.

So not many photos. That's interesting! All my pictures are in my phone or photobooks or scrapbooks I guess.

Bonus Q: Definitely my heart. I try to think of a place to put it before purchasing, but sometimes you just need it!

bellbird likes this.
  4. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

We have a travel room (guest bedroom) that has photos and souveniers from our trips. Our hallway has all our cruise embarkation photos as well as some navigational charts that we won at auctions. The rest of our house has what I would characterize as whimsical art. We have a lot of Tom Everharts. He is officially licensed to do Charles Schultz art. And of course some cat art, lol

Heidi Nicole and bellbird like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So, I've had this huge blank wall in my living room forever! I have hated that wall because I never could decide what to put on it, so recently I was in Hobby Lobby and found a piece of art that I really liked and decided to get it for that wall. Then I chose 2 sconces to put on either side of it and did the "magic light trick" that nestingwithgrace talks about on Instagram and her blog. No wiring required, you use these puck lights that have a remote, dimmer, and timer. I'm loving it. I'm finally happy with that wall, and loved the magic light trick so much I did one over my kitchen sink this week. I might be out of control :giggle
    Most of the other walls just have some kind of art on them. I don't have a lot of photos on the wall.

Heidi Nicole and bellbird like this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

a little of both - but mostly photos!

bellbird likes this.
  7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I have both photos and art.. mostly art. I have two paintings in my bedroom by a second-cousin who does painting as a hobby. In my computer/craft room I have two pieces of art by my daughter who studied art at Uni and has a Bachelor of Fine Art degree. One of these pieces is from her highschool days and the other is a painting she did for me of the sea. In our loungeroom is another one of my second cousins paintings and a print of a Tiger by my cousin who painted by mouth as he became a quadriplegic after a car accident in his late teens. This is making me think of all the relative artwork I own.... I have another painting in this room ( computer/craft) by my Great Aunt.

I would love to have the ability to paint real art. I took lessons in watercolour but did not like the flatness and difficulty of control of the paint with that medium.

bellbird likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have both, but the photography is overtaking the art.

bellbird likes this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow! you certainly have a creative family, I'm extra impressed by your cousin painting by mouth, creativity always finds a way! & I can relate to what you said about watercolour - digi watercolour & watercolour pencil colouring then swabbing some water over it is the best i can manage but it's just not the same!

10. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Gosh, I am so annoyed with myself when I think about this!! I've wanted to have these cool wall displays in my apartment for so long, but I just never get things printed and get it done!! I have some of the kids' artwork, like photography they've done or pastel/paintings they've done up, and a few photos. I need way more. I have grand plans for a house full of photos. I love art, but I guess I just have pretty limited space and too many photos I love, so I wouldn't choose art unless it's something special that someone in the family made.

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

More proof you're in the indecisive camp from last week's patter topic! Thats a very cool lighting trick - i get why you went a bit crazy with it and i may have just spent 5mins scrolling through grace's IG!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Mostly art on the walls. By my husband's computer desk, I have 2 framed photos of his flanking a piece of my cross-stitch. The rest of the photos on display are in standing frames scattered around the house. Our master bedroom looks like a gallery. We have 4 fairly substantial works of art hanging on the walls.

I do have one really nice 12x12 with mat frame that I display layouts in.

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Most of the walls in my house have photos that were framed and hung up by my mother. Lots of family photos, especially older ones. There is also quite a few counted cross stitch pieces that I have done over the years, mainly gifts for mom that she hung up.

I have rearranged a few items and taken others down to put new items up since Dad died. One of the new items is a shadow box Dad had made of all his service medals, his dog tags and other Navy memorabilia. Martha brought it from NC for the funeral and it then became mine. It is now hanging in a place of honor in my living room (above the flag I received at his funeral).

My office has several counted cross stitch and 3 bulletin boards.

cfile likes this.
  14. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

shockingly....PHOTOS!!!!! lol

15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We have several pieces we got on our cruises - darn those art shows - but we love them. My dh started painting 2 years ago, so we have several of pieces framed and hanging up. We have two of my photographs hanging. I also have 2 display boards for 12x12 pages. I have a bunch of scrapbook pages I printed, some just photos and sayings, and I route those in and out over the year. I have a few photos of people but very few.

16. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have a lot of my photographs enlarged on canvasses that are hung on my walls.

17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Both. I have a gallery wall of animal photos from the game drives we have been on, I have paintings of flowers hanging alongside photos of flowers. I wish I could create art, I wish that my paintings looked like what I see in my mind's eye. Because of that photographs are my art. I love it, love seeing scrapbook layouts featuring my family, love seeing photos I have taken alongside family photos through the years and art that we have collated also through 30 years of marriage. Gives our home character that I love.

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

All of the above. .I have some of my Cross-Stitched framed pieces on the wall, paintings by my DH, paintings by famous bird artists... and then some family heirloom stuff and over my bed a poster size photo of me and my Mom when I was about 3... My parents blew up a slide and gave me that for Christmas in '89... Mom was gone the next month, but I have it framed (frame was made by my BFF's Dad) and it is a special photo to me.

19. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

Love this! We’ve also made a ‘travel’ room. Lots of photos of travels and travel decor (& of course Jeep stuff!) #greatminds #travelandcats

20. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I have both around the house... I’m really influenced by Chip & Joanna... so I’m loving Hobby Lobby & Home Goods... seems like everyone loves rustic decor!
    upload_2019-2-9_7-59-35.gif