Vertical Monitor?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 17, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

Does anyone have a monitor vertically? I'm considering it after I saw it online. It intrigues me to see if it would help me arrange things better, or if it would be too narrow.

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(i get this for long lists like at the airport or phone scrolling thru news headlines but i feel like i would be turning my head sideways (like ear down towards shoulder) to see things bigger & better in photoshop...)

bestcee likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Dude. You must have read the same article in Popular Science!

I'm not going to try, because I don't see where it would be of benefit to me either in designing or scrapbooking. Now, could I do with a third monitor? Why, yes. Yes, I could!

bestcee likes this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Some people I work with do this with one of their monitors (we all have 2-3 monitors), but almost everything I do is best viewed horizontally. Specific to scrapping, I have a pretty traditional Photoshop set up that wouldn't work well vertically. If I had a good use case for it, I would definitely consider it. I just don't.

bestcee likes this.
  5. bestcee

My thought was leave my one monitor horizontal for photoshop. No change there!

Probably! LOL!
    I was debating on whether a vertical monitor would work better than a third monitor. Like, photoshop on one, and on the vertical: tv at the top, supplies, etc at the bottom. I just worry it would be too narrow.

See? I can't decide if it would be a good use case! :-) Like, too narrow for supplies? Or just right, and internet streaming above it?

bellbird likes this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels Amazing, Awesome and Wonderful!

I like to have two or three windows open at once, which makes more sense horizontally to me. For example, when I 'm speedscrapping I'll have Photoshop on the left (although taking up ⅔ of my screen), my browser with TLP open in the middle and sticking up above PS for easy clicking back and forth, a TLP chat window open on the far right but only going ⅔ down the screen, and a small file window open in the bottom right corner for pulling my digiscrap elements into PS.

Maybe it's just because that's what I'm used to, but I'm trying to imagine turning my screen vertically and it feels more difficult. It's easier to look horizontally back and forth. More is at eye level without moving my head. Of course, moving more could be a good thing! Strengthen my neck muscles? :lol2

bestcee likes this.
  7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Vertical might work for me when I'm at work typing documents, but I used a square monitor for decades ... just upgraded to a wide screen a year or so ago. Of course a vertical monitor would block my view ... my work computer desk faces into the room and I talk to my boss and clients "over" my desk/monitor a lot.

bestcee likes this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I don't anymore as I have a laptop rather than a desktop computer. I always found a vertical monitor essential in desk top publishing and report writing. I've got used to the horizontal and as I'm neither dtp or report writing at the moment it does me fine.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac There's no such thing as a secret hiding place

That happened to my Mom's PC and it drove me absolutely wild!!

10. bestcee

So, in case y'all wondered.

I stole my husband's second monitor* and I'm trying out three monitors instead of a vertical setup.

**He got the tv, which was bigger than the monitor I stole.

Memaw2Wm and gonewiththewind like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

photo needed please

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@bestcee Oh man! I gotta do something to get a third screen! I forgot how delightful that was!

bestcee likes this.
  14. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I use a MacBook to scrap since my iMac is now so old I can no longer update it. Hubby has promised me an upgrade next year. I probably wouldn't use a vertical monitor at home, but loved having option of rotating monitor to work vertically in previous job. Especially when working on long spreadsheets.

bestcee likes this.
  15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I had a monitor that tilted vertically and never used it. I just never saw a time when I needed it that way. Having 2 monitors is awesome but having the vertical tilt, nope, not for me.

bestcee likes this.