Vanishing kits

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by meterr, Jun 24, 2016.

1. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I have a folder of TLP kits on my laptop. I have noticed the folder doesn't seem to hold as many kits as I remember buying, so I went to my account, then to my history of purchased kits. I am missing several kits! They are not from the same time frames, but various ones. I can no longer download the kits anymore, so that`s a loss, but I wonder why this would have happened and if its stoppable.

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Contact customer service they might reopen the links for you. Mostly all you can do is double check to see if you downloaded them all. Go to the order history or whatever and run a double check. It's happened before to lots of us.

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

this may not be the case...but my hairbrained overused brain (i'm sure yours is much more stable)...lol
    well, I got a whole bunch of kits a few months ago...planning a marathon scrap. The marathon scrap didn't happen (well it did but in a different form WItL) anyways.....I sat down to use that "bunch" and could not find it. I was panicked, as I am very responsible Polly, and use everything I download. It is a personal thing with me too.
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaking out!
    Then I walked away and said, guess I won't scrap. I will organize my homeschool folders for the upcoming week.
    I open the to be filed HS folder and there sat my still zipped folders! I had been on a worksheet saving spree the same day of my shopping spree for scrap. I saved them to the wrong folder on accident.
    maybe? just maybe, you may have downloaded them elsewhere?
    and
    for giggles check your recycle Bin!
    hope you find them! it is frustrating to mind and spirit to lose things...makes me all twitchy and such

4. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I will look in every folder, but so far, none have been found :(

5. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i read some where, but don't take me for sure. If windows runs a check disk, sometimes some of most recent files are lost?
    if you know name of kit or zip, i might be able to tell you what zip name the kit was, or the zip name of the kit

bestcee likes this.
  6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I've done it a few times that I download files and unzip some then move all the zip files to an archive. Then I look for something and of course can't find it. Luckily I backup all my zips...

7. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

That is so strange. What operating system are you running? Is there a bin directory that you can check to see if they have been deleted by the system?

8. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Carilyne is absolutely right, we may be able to help you in customer service:)

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^ I second this, and also to look for hidden folders/files. I remember one scrapper (this was a few years ago) who accidentally hid her whole scrapping folder. She was freaking out (understandably!).

Hopefully you find these sneaky folders! Also, have you checked your backup places for these items? And if you don't have an external hard drive, may I kindly suggest purchasing one? I bought my first after dropping a full glass of water on my laptop. :cry Or you could look into online "cloud" storage, if that's your thing. And I promise I don't work for a digital storage company lol! :) I just hate reading about scrappers losing precious supplies (or, even more precious, photos).

10. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I wonder how I knew that? :hummm:helpy

Tree City, NancyBeck and bestcee like this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have all my zipped folders going to the recycle bin, once unzipped, so sometimes when I misplace stuff, I know that the zipped versions are there and can easily by restored.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes to all of the above!

And I'll add, do you need the zip name to search? Sometimes we can help with the exact name because we have the same kits and that has helped me find a missing kit before!
    In my case, I accidently dropped all my kit zips into another zipped file.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

It won't help you find your lost files, but perhaps it will help someone. My default download location is my desktop. This makes it very messy, but it makes it obvious I have new zips to deal with. Once I am done downloading for a session, I move them to a folder on my desktop called New. They stay in there until I have time to unzip and organize them into the content folders in a different location. I also run Windows backup every week, so it will usually get the zip files in the New folder and then later, the unzipped ones in the proper location.

14. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i save anything be it a download, text file, pic, shortcut, etc to a series named folder now it up to mytos21. stays out in there, when i unzip to my master drive series part mydata68, in order it should be, the purchase goes to a inner folder purchase1606 (he writes dvd of my zips), be it a other thing, goes to mydata68 where it goes, then into a inner folder 2mydata68, --- i monthly try and back up the mytos series for month, then make a say mytos22. I write all zips to two usb drives. The unziped ordered files are backed up to barebone big internal drives.

(had logic at one time - to restore my drive, just combine the parts of the unzipped)