Upgrading to Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by renee82, Jun 20, 2016.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

Hey everyone!

My computer crashed last week. My fan overheated and melted the sauder off the motherboard... Not sure if my stuff will be recovered yet. That being said, I am buying a new computer. Has anyone here upgraded from Photoshop Elements to Photoshop CC? I have been a PSE user for over 10 years. But I'm kind of liking the Adobe Creative Cloud option. What are your thoughts? Should I just stick with PSE and buy the digital copy? Would you buy Adobe CC and pay the 9.99 per month and have access to LR which is what I use to edit my photos? (although my version is super old and I no longer have the disc for it.) I was also thinking of getting radlab to edit my photos instead. Decisions, decisions.... Thanks for your input!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thanks @klee73010

I'm so happy with switching to PSCC I was about to type about it again. But I participated in that thread, so I'll wait and see if you have further questions @renee82 :D

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  4. renee82

renee82 renee82

I just read through the thread... I'm scared! lol!

A few questions though...

1. What's a script and why do I need one?

2. Are there no commands like ''Flatten Image'' or ''Save for Web" in PS?

3. I've always like the idea of the control over shadowing. I just use actions or effect for my shadows. Do these exist for PS or do I have to figure out my own?

Those are just the few that I can think of at the moment.

Thanks!

5. renee82

renee82 renee82

Also, does anyone have a YouTube tutorial on how they create their pages in CS? Maybe @gonewiththewind ?

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@mommyish has a video that shows her starting from scratch with CC/CS

paula kesselring likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Disclaimer, I did not read through every bit of that other thread but my take on using CC is
    1.) scripts are similar to actions ... they save you time. but you don't need to use them
    2) flatten image is definitely there. save for web is there as a Legacy option ... File>Export>Save for Web
    3) yes, that is all there in the full blown Photoshop: you can put your shadows (layer styles on their own layers and tweak them to death, you can use actions and effects (styles) just like in Elements

I think you will love it!

8. klee73010

1) A script is a group of actions in a sequence.
    2) I'm positive there are commands for those, or else you could create your own (create your own actions or scripts, even!)
    3) If I remember correctly, Fiddle Dee Dee uses both CC and PSE regularly, and does her shadowing in creative cloud because it is so much faster to separate and warp and whatnot, or I may be mistaken. But in any case... customizing shadows is easier... if you prefer to use actions or styles, you should be able to import ones you already have into CC.

9. klee73010

@Dalis has done some videos and has those posted in the art journal forum or the M3 forum. And @AnneofAlamo, also. They both scrap in CS and/or creative cloud.
    @lorryfach posted a "watch me scrap" video before also... creative cloud user.

10. renee82

renee82 renee82

Oh thanks girls! Can anyone share their videos? @cookingmylife , the video link isn't working. But I would love to see it!

11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have cs5, and will gladly walk you thru via telephone if it is easier too! I have "taught" thru the phone and using the chat room. It can happen!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I went from Microsoft Digital Image Pro straight to CS5 years ago - it was definitely a learning curve, but I love it now. And I went with CC last year when I got my new computer. go for it Renee!

13. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I jumped from PSE to PS CC about a year ago. There was a slight learning curve, but I'm actually loving it!

14. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I made the move from PSE to CC when my computer died in December. TBH, my first couple layouts in PS took forever while I figured out the changes between the two programs. Once I had my shadow styles loaded up and got the hang of things, I'm making layouts faster in PS. I love the upgrade. A couple things that come to mind ...

--I drag content directly onto the layout. I open my template and drag the photos onto the canvas. I clip them down and then get busy pulling over my papers and ellies. I was convinced that I was going to miss the bin. I don't at all. Now I just bring over what I need. I do have a big monitor so I have the real estate to have my "Finder" window open with my content.
    --There are little lines and lights that sort of pop up when things get aligned. It's pretty slick and quick to get elements aligned. There are still the tools to align but the auto notification is pretty great.
    --Styles aren't packaged and organized as neatly in PS as they are PSE. I fought with that for a little bit until I figured out how to save them and organize them. Now I have my styles organized as shadows, and paper effects, and different categories of mommyish styles. I regularly re-set the styles and load the ones I want when the style panel starts to get unwieldy.

To some of your questions: 1. Haven't used a script yet. Haven't needed to learn that. 2. Flatten is called rasterize and you have two cool options. You can rasterize the object and you can just rasterize the style settings if you want. It's handy because sometimes the styles don't stack. As for Save for Web, Jenn told you where to find it. I still use it for all of my CT/Web savings. 3. Shadows work the same. You have more control over them. You can add new ones and delete them. Sometimes you have to tell yourself to take a step back because it's easy to go crazy tweaking them.

I love Lightroom. I got a new camera so I needed the new version for the Camera Raw files.

I don't love spending $10/month. However, I was always buying the new version of PSE when it came out and Costco had it for $50. I just need to pay attention to what I'm buying for the hobby and (sorry designers) maybe cut back on a few kits through the year. Well ... maybe not. If I'm happy with PS, then I'm sitting here playing with this and not spending money at Target.

bestcee likes this.
  15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  16. klee73010

Creative live has coupons for CC subscription, right? Maybe that was posted already. I am probably going to upgrade when I get a new laptop, and have eliminated a credit card payment or two :giggle

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

1. You don't necessarily need one. But you may find that you are using some and may don't know it. Some actions are actually just telling ps to run a script.

2. Yes, there are. Save for Web is under export. I made a shortcut *because you can customize shortcuts in PSCC!!! *.

3. All shadow actions that I've used in pse work in PSCC. I've heard of people having issues, but I haven't run into any, and I've bought all my shadow styles from digital designers.

I am loving the upgrade! I have the creative live discount right now. And I look at it as, unlike Netflix, when/if I cancel I still have all the pages I created. Netflix I just have all the books of TV I watched :giggle and I'm faster in PSCC than elements. It took a few weeks, to learn where things are, but now I'm much faster. Customizing shortcuts has helped with that, as well as ditching the photobin, which I thought I'd miss.

And to Lightroom : I had an older version, and I'm not positive if it's my knowledge or improvements, but I'm finding lrcc to be easier.

Cheryl had been scrapping with PSCC in her latest videos of you follow her YouTube channel. And mommyish shows cool things in hers too.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have a question.... Did anyone find it difficult to transition from PS5 to CC?

20. renee82

renee82 renee82

I'm actually in the process of watching this at the very moment! Thank you @lorryfach