Update on my situation....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by A-M, Mar 14, 2022.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

We moved from the evacuation centre on Sunday 6th to stay with our bachelor friend. He had offered from the start but we knew it was going to be some days so did not want to ruin our friendship and for the first few days I felt responsible for our elderly neighbour whom we have always kept an eye on since her son married and moved away some years ago. Fay because of being a diabetic (insulin dependant) was not coping well so they took her by helicopter to the nearest hospital where her son was able to collect her and take her to his home.

Monday 7th we were able to get into our house and start the big clean up. My daughter, Ruth and soninlaw Michael, came to help along with so many other people - strangers! At one time I had four young Brazilian people in my bedroom helping to move things out.

Tuesday 8th, Ruth and Michael came with the two oldest granddaughters. They cleaned out the bathroom which is a room fully tiled from floor to ceiling. They got it back to looking normal and useable.

The things we could keep like saucepans, cutlery, crockery were all washed and what we want to keep are stored with other things we were able to keep in our large shed which is securely lockable. Of course we lost all electrical items which included Ken's woodwork equipment which all went out with the rubbish in the street last Saturday. The shed is lower than the house so the water went to the just below the roof. With the house it went to the window sill so in my pantry and linen cupboard everything well above the water was saved. I had a basket of washed clothes on top of a set of drawers in the bedroom and it did not fall into the water so my daughter took those home and washed them so we still have some of our clothes so it was a good thing I had not got around to doing the ironing ( which I do no like doing). I did pack two bags of clothes quickly before we evacuated.

The house is unliveable as the floors are made of particle board which has swollen and will eventually fall apart. The walls are gyprock which are all swollen.

We are now having 9 nights in the unit my daughter owns in Byron Bay at a resort. Last night was our first but we still did not sleep well as there is so much going on in our minds. We do not have the money to fix the house. Tomorrow ( Wednesday) we will be having a family conference with Ruth and Michael to discuss what we can do. Our insurance possibly will not pay much as we could not afford to pay the premium for flood cover which is the same for most of those living in our little town.

Ruth hired a laptop so I can do some emailing and also complete forms etc for the help the government are giving.

I hope to one day again own possibly only a laptop so I can get back into digital scrapbooking as all my paper craft items and sewing fabrics, crochet cottons etc. were destroyed in the flood.

I miss you all. We are trusting in our Lord, God to go before us in all decisions we are making.

2. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I am so glad to hear about the helpers but it must still feel like an insurmountable task at times. What a nightmare you and your neighbours are still going through. I hope you can get a good night's sleep soon at the very least :-(

A-M and Sara like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Ohhhhh, Anne-Marie, I'm SO sorry to hear of this! Thankfully, you have family to help, but I'm sure this is insurmountable. I'm going to keep you in my heart and prayers - you're such good people - that's obvious with the others that YOU help out with and take care of - God be with you as you begin your cleanup. I hope your government and hopefully, your insurance, can help out. Sending lots of hugs to you.

A-M likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Heartbreaking you lost all your fabric and other craft supplies. I can imagine because my mom had a room full of shelves and shelves of fabric and supplies for her lifelong sewing hobby. I hope you find a new home you love soon.

A-M likes this.
  5. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

My heart goes out to you - it must be so hard to deal with. I hope that you are able to get some aid to quickly rebuild.

A-M likes this.
  6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Thank you for the update. It sounds like an insurmountable challenge going forward. So sorry that you lost so many things, I'm sure that were dear to you. I hope your government is able to help you and your neighbours out.

A-M likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am so sorry for all that you've lost! I hope that you are able to get some help with expenses! I know it is devastating. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and so glad that you are safe!!

A-M likes this.
  8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm so glad you came through this safely, but I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I hope you are able to devise a plan that will give you some peace of mind as you begin to move forward. ((((hugs))))

A-M likes this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh AnnMarie, I don’t know what to say. I am so so sorry that this all happened to you, but I also can tell you have a strong faith that God will get you through. Thank God no one was hurt or killed.

A-M likes this.
  10. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry and praying for you and your family.

A-M likes this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Anne-Marie, I am so sorry to hear, I am so glad you guys are ok and have somewhere to stay.

A-M likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Thank you for the update Anne-Marie. I've been wondering how it's been going for you guys. It's heartbreaking to read everything that you've been going through and still have to deal with. I really can't even begin to imagine the work that it is taking to clean up your house to find what things you are able to save and what needs to go. I'm so glad to hear that you had some helpers because it seems way to big of a job to do by yourselves. I pray you are able to get some answers about insurance and how to move forward so that your minds can rest at night and get some sleep.

A-M likes this.
  13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I join the others in extending both my sympathy both to you and yours,and to the rest of the people in your area.
    I can only hope, that some where there is a silver lining,that will become apparent some time soon.
    I wish I could share by crafting stash with you.....
    God bless and keep you. Xxx

A-M likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am so glad to hear you are ok Anne-Marie, that you and your husband are safe. I am so so sorry about the loss of your home but pray that things will work out for you soon. You are in my prayers.

A-M likes this.
  15. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

This is such heartbreaking news; I just can’t imagine what you are going through. I will be thinking of you as you move forward after this devastating loss. I hope you will get answers to the insurance coverage soon so you can make decisions about your future. Sending gentle hugs.

A-M likes this.
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Sending you a very big squishy cyber hug. Have no words. :hug

A-M likes this.
  17. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Sending prayers of strength and mental well being.

A-M likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm so very sorry. :( I'm continuing to pray for your safety as you go through the rest of the clean up process, as well as praying for a home for you.

A-M likes this.
  19. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

I am so sorry for your loss, Anne-Marie. I am glad that you and your husband are safe. Continued prayers for you both as you clean-up and move forward. Much love and gentle hugs. :beat

A-M likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

oh Anne-Marie! I'm so glad to hear you guys are safe. You have a great attitude, and I pray that things will work out and you'll be comforted and find a fabulous place to call home.

A-M likes this.