Umbrellas | Pad Patter 2.10

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 10, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

There's a day for everything it seems, and today is National Umbrella Day.
    [​IMG]
    It's supposed to rain here later today, so I suppose I could celebrate, but I don't really like umbrellas :giggle It has to be cold and absolutely pouring rain before I'll carry one. I'd much rather use a jacket with a hood, and if it's hot out I just enjoy walking in the rain. I probably have about 50 umbrellas because I think my mom buys me one every year for Christmas. In her defense, I don't think I've ever told her that I don't carry them. She loves them and was just telling me all about the new one she got that closes up instead of down so that you don't get wet closing it.

Do you carry an umbrella when it rains? Is it one of those like gigantic golf umbrellas or a tiny one?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have a tiny fold up one that I carry in my bag otherwise I’d forget it somewhere

IntenseMagic and LynnG like this.
  3. LynnG

LynnG Designer

bellbird, Karen, littlekiwi and 2 others like this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

When it's raining properly and there is no wind then I love to use an umbrella. But normally there wind is too string, or it's drizzle so an umbrella doesn't do anything.

One of my dreams it to turn an old umbrella frame into my very own designer parasol. That would be fun.

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

That's so interesting. I had no idea that it was so windy there!

6. IntenseMagic

That would be so cool, Angela!! If you ever do it, please share!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have a small fold up one in my car and several in the house but like you I prefer to wear a jacket with a hood. I have 2 lightweight raincoats and my winter coat also has a hood for when there is precipitation when I'm out and about.

Trying to get groceries from the grocery cart into the car and holding an umbrella... doesn't work for me.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

Yep. Doesn't work for me either.
    I have this weird thing about me (well, lots of weird things :giggle... but). I like to always have one hand free. I think maybe it's because I'm clumsy and am subconsciously always ready to catch myself if I fall :crazy3. But, I have a lunch box and keys and stuff to carry in to work, so if I have an umbrella, I don't have my catching hand:giggle

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I live by the sea, so there's a lot of rain over here. I hate the sensation of wet clothes on my skin, so I just carry a small fold up umbrella in my bag.

but, if after carrying it for weeks in my purse, with not one single drop of rain falling from the sky, I decide to leave the darn thing at home, you can bet it's gonna rain - even if it was the most beautiful sunny day.
    so I learn my lesson and I carry it with me. :badmood

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I don't use Umbrellas - I just run for it!

11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I had family ask me last year if I was going to take my umbrella when I went down & having been there twice before I was like nope, no point, it will be a waste of time taking it.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

We have big golf umbrellas in each car, but I'd rather just put the hood of my jacket on and move fast.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I think I own an umbrella... maybe? It's... somewhere.

I think that answers your question. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a couple small umbrellas but usually wear my yellow (fleece lined) slicker with its hood. I may carry an umbrella in the summer and have a big striped one but not golf course big. It wasn't until I was walking in a summer rain in Washington DC last yer and a couple of teenager girls passed me and gave me a high 5 pointing at my umbrella that I wondered... and then realized I have an umbrella that is a LBGTQ design symbol. :clap I never thought of that when I bought it but was sick of my former black umbrellas.

15. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've got a huge one that I used to use when I walked the kids to the bus stop. I also have a smaller one in the car just in case.
    However, like you I like jackets with hoods instead.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

We have an umbrella ( not a big one... fold up type) in our car all the time. I have one at the back door if needed to get down to my husband in his shed if it is raining ( we badly need rain right NOW! ). I have another umbrella in the house ready for me to take when I walk to my Friday volunteer work... in case when it might rain and at the time of year when the magpies (birds) like to attack us humans.

17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I hate getting wet when it's raining so, yes, I use an umbrella. I keep a Totes umbrella in the well in my driver's side door so it's always available.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I keep two in the car and one in the house. When it rains in Florida, it's a deluge!!

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have a fold up one in the car and almost golf sized one for walking the dog. However, most everyone here just runs through the rain. Unless it is winter, our rain is almost always warm.

Now I do own a pair of rain boots because they were super cute and I had always wanted to own a pair.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I live in Seattle, the rain capital of the US. Nobody carries an umbrella here bedsides me!! I guess they don't melt but it seems silly.