Ugggh, oh why, Apple ?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by elseepe, Jan 1, 2019.

1. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Little did I know that when I upgraded my iPhone to ios 11 that it would start taking my photos in some new HEIC format. Well, I was really hoping to delay upgrading my Mac OS until after MOC, but I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it so that Lightroom can read the format of all my photos -- uggghh. I guess I could re-export them as converted, but this is a lot of photos dating back to summer.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Disclaimer: I don't have a MAC.
    I read this if you connect your phone to the computer. Maybe that will work for you?
    Head to Settings>Photos and scroll down to Transfer to Mac or PC. Here you can choose what format is sent to a computer when you plug it in.
    Automatical is jpeg, heic is original.
    Maybe that will help?

If not, hopefully one of our MAC peeps will come along and help out!
    @jk703 @michelepixels You work on Macs, do you have iPhones too?

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. elseepe

There are workarounds to get them in jpeg format to my computer, but I've just imported them all and I don't want to end up with duplicates -- no matter what I've got some unplanned work to sort through . . .

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Can you move the ones imported that way to a folder, then reimport them in jpeg? That way you can delete the folder once they are on your computer without ending up with duplicates?

Can you tell I hate any major updates during MOC!

elseepe likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My iPhone is on iOS 12 but it's only an iPhone6 and I think the new picture format is something only newer phone versions can do. I only vaguely remember reading something about it maybe last summer. So I don't know anything about it.

bestcee likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have an iPhone X and it's on IOS 12. While my photos have been in the HEIC mode for a month with that phone, I haven't had any problems with Lightroom. I am on an iMac with High Sierra but will go to Mohave AFTER MOC!!

Here's a way to change the save mode on your phone...lots of good illustrations. HTH!
    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/heic-to-jpeg-iphone/

elseepe likes this.
  7. elseepe

I hadn't updated to High Sierra yet. Found the setting to have it use JPEG, but that's good for now forward. Just completed my time machine backup, so may be taking the leap on the OS update. (I've got 500 photos in HEIC that I can't read in Lightroom until I update OS).

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I found this the hard way too, lol! I now have an extra step. I upload them to my Smugmug, and then download from there to my computer. It's ok though, and ends up being backup. I may consider turning it off, but already I have found pictures that I like better when editing because of this feature - like opening eyes, better lighting, less movement, etc.

elseepe likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

@elseepe I wonder if you can batch edit them in PSE or PSCC to go from HEIC to jpeg? well maybe 100 at a time!

10. elseepe

Update to High Sierra and then Lightroom and Camera Raw and now I can see my HEIC photos in lightroom.

(Photoshop would not recognize them either, I had to update the OS in order to install the Adobe updates which deal with the new format.)

11. cookingmylife

@elseepe Yay! Oh, when it all works it's so wonderful!

elseepe likes this.