Tutorial - Time Saving Xmas Clusters | Summer School 2021: Week 4 Holiday Break

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by bcgal00, Jul 27, 2021.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Welcome to Week 4 of Summer School 2021: Holiday Break!

Tutorial - Time Saving Christmas Clusters

This is the last week of the Christmas in July sale and I'm going to show you how to use Christmas elements to build a cluster base that you can use for a single page or multiple pages, and can help create a cohesive look to your page or album design.

A cluster is made up of multiple products, placed onto your layout, that can add visual interest. It helps direct your eye across the page and can be an anchor point to a specific spot. Multiple clustering provides a cohesive look to the page.

When creating the cluster, shadowing can be used to create a dimensional look, to give the cluster a depth that can be very realistic. You can find drop shadow styles in the TLP store.
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Realistic-Drop-Shadow-Styles.html

The choices of what to create your cluster with is almost endless. Flowers, wordart, buttons, paper pieces, labels, string, ribbons, flairs, paint, glitter, overlays - almost anything can go into your cluster! But start small, choose a few things to start with and don't overwhelm yourself with too many products initially to get your base cluster created.

Check out the TLP Blog to learn more about clustering (search cluster or clustering to bring up a selection of articles on the subject).

gonewiththewind (designer of Fiddle-Dee-Dee templates) and creator of "Watch Cheryl Scrap" has a tutorial with a video that I recommend you look at.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threa...nday-july-19-2021-at-9-pm-edt-6-pm-pdt.78506/

To show you how to build a cluster base, I have chosen 10 elements (image 1) from these kits, available in the TLP store:
    Heaven and Nature Sing by Forever Joy Designs
    Starry Woods by Lynn Grieveson Designs
    Merry Little Moments by Just Jaimee

[​IMG]
    Lets get started building a cluster! Here are the steps I took to build this cluster (image 2):

[​IMG]

• Placed a branch with berries and then copied it twice, rotating and transforming two of them to give a variation in appearance.
    • Layered the remaining elements overtop, resizing so some were smaller and some were larger.
    • Tucked a branch underneath and then duplicated it 5 times,rotating each one slightly.
    TIPS:
    • greenery, ribbon, string, buttons are great "fillers" to tuck in after you place your main elements i.e. flowers, themed elements, wordart.
    • rotate and/or resize an element to give it a new look i.e. one flower can be resized and rotated numerous times.
    • labels/paper strips can be tucked into a cluster to provide written info such as the date, event, etc.
    • resize greenery and layer them on top of each other, slightly rotating each layer.
    • add paint, glitter, overlays, stamps, etc, usually as the first layer (right on top of your paper) but occasionally can be added closer to the top of your cluster stack to resemble a realistic look i.e. paint splatted overtop or glitter sprinkled onto the top of the cluster.
    • try adding a few buttons, flairs, small bling, etc to add that little touch of color here and there throughout the layers.
    • wordart can be positioned anywhere within your cluster but tucking it under and/or a few elements gives it more depth.
    • try adding a sprinkle of beads, sequins, etc to give the cluster a bit of sparkle/color.
    My recommendation is to save your cluster as a PSD file on your computer so you can open it anytime and change it as you wish.

It can be flattened in jpeg format but the layers would be merged together into a single element which could be rotated, resized and recolored but it wouldn't be possible to change the order of the layers, turn any layers off (removing an element from the cluster) or individually rotate or resize individual elements. Therefore, the jpeg cluster can be manipulated but not to the extent that the PSD cluster can.

The cluster can now be duplicated and moved around the page. It can be recolored and/or resized. If the layers were preserved (PSD format), then there is even more that can be done. You can turn layers on and off, additional elements can be added and any of them can be moved around. Here are 3 variations I created quickly and easily from the base cluster.

Sample 1: 3 elements removed - resizing and repositioning of elements.
    Sample 2: 2 elements and greenery removed - resizing and repositioning of elements with duplication.
    Sample 3: 4 elements removed - resizing and repositioning of elements with duplication.

[​IMG]
    Here is the base cluster placed along the edges and one cluster overtop another cluster, resized smaller.
    [​IMG]

The base cluster can be used as is but other elements can be easily added into the cluster. Paint/overlays/stamps can be placed under the cluster.

Here is a page using the cluster 4 times.
    [​IMG]

Here is a page using the cluster but adding additional elements and repositioning of some layers.

[​IMG]

Making a base cluster that you can re-use over and over again saves a lot of time in your design process and it's so much fun to do that you might want to create a variety of cluster bases to use in your pages. Have fun with it!

Angela Toucan, G.J., marijke and 3 others like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Thanks for the tutorial and tips!

bcgal00 likes this.
  3. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I love clusters, but am not very good at (and not very confident about) making my own. Thank you for this awesome tutorial!

Mingo08 and bcgal00 like this.
  4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the tutorial Rae.

bcgal00 likes this.
  5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Rae thank you for this tutorial ❤️

bcgal00 likes this.
  6. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Thank you so much for the tips, nice tutorial and so practical

bcgal00 likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

great ideas @bcgal00
    When I was preparing for my 2nd DYD in 2018 I made up a set of titles with Kim's Plastic Beads that I thought I might use.
    [​IMG]

8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

These are just wonderful! What a great selection you made.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  9. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

Thanks for the tips! I'm not a confident cluster builder myself, but I may give this a go!

bcgal00 likes this.
  10. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thanks for the great tutorial!
    [​IMG]

bcgal00 likes this.
  11. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

This is a great tip! I can see that is would save so much time - I always just build the entire cluster on my page - sometimes multiple times!

bcgal00 likes this.