Tutorial - Changing up a template | Summer School 2021: Week 6 - HOME ECONOMICS CLASS

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by FarrahJobling, Aug 8, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Hello friends! Welcome to the 6th and final week of our Summer School Program. This week we are going to focus on Home Economics.

First, I wanted to give you a little history on the subject, since it's a bit of an antiquated subject and then bring it around to the current views.

Historically, the purpose of these courses was to professionalize housework, to provide intellectual fulfillment for women, and to emphasize the value of "women's work" in society and to prepare them for the traditional roles of sexes.

The International Federation for Home Economics was established in 1908. In the United States, home economics courses have been a key part of learning the art of taking care of a household. In the 19th Century, Home Economics courses mainly taught students how to cook, sew, garden, and take care of children, primarily taken by women.

We've come a long way and now Home economics is called family and consumer sciences, is today a subject concerning human development, personal and family finance, housing and interior design, food science and preparation, nutrition and wellness, textiles and apparel, and consumer issues.

This week, we are going to take a modern day approach to using the skills learned in the Home Ec sewing/apparel module to re-use a pattern to make something new and our own. Specifically, I mean, Templates! YAY...who doesn't love a template????? I LOVE templates and I save a lot of my LOs blank to use again later as a whole new template. You can literally make hundreds of LOs with the same template just by changing things around a bit.

FIVE fun ways to change up a template:
    1. Rotate the template
    2. Flip the template horizontally
    3. Flip the template vertically
    4. Combine templates
    5. Take a few bits and pieces of a template and delete the rest

I made a video tutorial that goes with this week's lesson, as well as, the challenge (posted separately)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Cherylndesigns, G.J., umyesh and 2 others like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

fabulous tutorial Farrah, thank you.
    Sometimes I add extra photo spots to templates.

3. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Great video .. thank you Farrah ..

4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Nice tutorial !

5. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love your videos Farrah! It’s fun to watch you scrap.

6. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this tutorial

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

8. sberkan

sberkan Says "yes" to new adventures...

Great tutorial! I love changing up templates. When I do calendars I pick a set of 4 templates and use them multiple times. It gives the project such a cohesive look even when the subjects are so different!

9. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Awesome tutorial, thank you so much my dear for the video and for all the tips.