Top Sheet | Pad Patter 2.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 17, 2019.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

A friend of mine share this article on Facebook last night: Why Millennials Are Not Using Top Sheets on Beds. I found it so funny because my youngest will not use a top sheet. I've tried and tried, but when I recently went to buy him new sheets I thought meh, he's a weirdo, and bought just bottom sheets. Then I got curious and sent text messages to the 27 and 23 year olds asking them if they use a top sheet. My daughter immediately said "No." and my son said "IDK what that is lol. I have a stretchy sheet and a blanket". I had to explain to him that it is the sheet that goes between the bedspread/comforter and his body lol. I told my friend that I was totally unaware that this was a thing hahaha. I have to have the top sheet. I mean, if I get hot in the night, I need to be able to throw something off and still be covered! She responed, "of course, because vampires." I'm still giggling at the hilarious conversations that we all had about this topic.

So, inquiring minds want to know...do you use a top sheet? Are top sheet users the actual weirdos now?

norton94 and cfile like this.
  2. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

LOL! I don't use a top sheet. As a kid, we didn't use top sheets either. They were the dusty things sitting in the linen closet that never got touched. Basically the same now. None of my kids use them. I used to put them on the kids' beds, but they literally always just crunched them down to the bottom of the bed to get rid of them every single time, so enough of that!

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. KimGeling

KimGeling Active Member

My husband and I do but it is him that prefers to have it. We also have a cotton blanket over the top sheet and under the quilt for an extra layer. My kids do not use top sheets and recently I have not been using one when we go to our holiday house and hubby hardly even notices. Growing up we never used them, my Mum always changed the doona cover with the fitted sheet so I guess I don't think it odd.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My DS hates the top sheet. It makes me nuts lol! He says his sheets are scratchy; they aren't, but I know what he means because his bottom blanket is super soft (he has 2 blankets), so I'm sure that by comparison it makes his sheet seem "scratchy" lol! I try to get him to use his top sheet because I don't want to have to wash his blanket every week with his sheets. I wash blankets less frequently because I figure the sheets keep the blankets cleaner, ya know? The sheet is there to collect the drool! :giggle

I like to have a top sheet. It feels so good to get into bed and pull up a crisp sheet and get cozy!

Sokee and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

That's exactly what my son would do and then it disappeared completely. I found it shoved behind the bed haha. I was happy to find just bottom sheets at Walmart :)

6. IntenseMagic

My son did say that they use a blanket instead of the top sheet because it's softer. There are times I don't fool with it when we go to our vacation condo, just because it's one more thing to put on the bed haha

7. IntenseMagic

My son said the same thing! And that was my argument...I would rather wash the sheets than the comforter! Yes to the drool and sweat!! I'm with you on those cozy crisp sheets :)

Tree City likes this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I use a top sheet if using blankets, and use a sheet on it's own in the summer. But mostly I use a duvet, in which case I don't bother with a top sheet - I just wash the duvet cover regularly.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is EXACTLY me!!!

I Couldn’t sleep on a bed without a top sheet. My favorite is sheets right off the cloths line. That fresh air smell from the breeze, heat dried by the sun. Sigh the best night sleep!

cfile and Tree City like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

Duvets are great. I might could do without the top sheet if I had one...maybe :giggle

cfile and Angela Toucan like this.
  11. IntenseMagic

Yes, this!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  12. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Nope we've foregone with the top sheet in our bed. actually we use separate cozy blankets so we don't even have to fight over that. lol

The kids still have top sheet fleece blanket then comforter, just because it's winter and they're rooms are colder.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I used to NEVER use one. However, my mom got us some Peach Skin Sheets for Christmas and I started putting the top sheet on the bed again. I tend to kick it to the bottom every night on my side, but I think my husband enjoys having it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

Just the opposite for us...DH kicks it to the bottom and I'm always pulling it up haha

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

I like that separate blanket idea! DH is a hog lol

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  16. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

That's just weird to me. I would feel like the blankets would get too dirty- that's the purpose of the sheet right? We change/wash sheets every sunday- but the comforters/quilts only get washed maybe 1x/month. How do you make a bed with no top sheet!? It would look weird to me! lol! I guess I'm the weirdo now who puts top sheets on the beds!

**sidenote- my son does like to tuck his super soft throw blanky under the sheet to sleep with- and it usually gets washed weekly too- so I don't find fault in that- but I would never NOT put a top sheet on his bed...

17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Guess I'm a weirdo as well. Have to have a top sheet. The thermal blanket is on top of it with either a bedspread or comforter on top of the blanket.

I have to have something covering me no matter the season so in the summer it is the sheet because a blanket would be way too warm. And, the sheet keeps the blanket from getting all sweaty from the hot flashes during the night.

IntenseMagic, Sokee and cfile like this.
  18. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

For the longest time we didn't use top sheets, but a few years back I decided I wanted one. Neither of my older boys (14, 12) use top sheets. They have several blankets and a quilt.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I too have a duvet ever since we went to Europe / Germany back in 2000.. anyway I have a duvet cover that I use (Like a HUGE pillowcase) and I wash that and use it as if it was a top sheet. If we did not have that, I would still have a top sheet. I can see where the kids would do that.. some of them even wear clothes to bed ie: Jeans and their shirt so why bother with a top sheet.. LOL Sorta like a sleeping bed. I really like a top sheet otherwise there is nothing between you and the blanket and then the blankets would need to be cleaned all the time.

20. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I finally gave up using them when I got tired of fighting with the man over bed linens. He doesn't care to use one anyway, and it was too much hassle trying to make the bed in half measures. We each have our own blanket and that works out best all the way around. As far as the kids, I don't think either of the grown ones do, and the young dude doesn't even sleep with a blanket most nights. They're all bed rebels in one way or another.

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.