Too good to pass up but... | Pad Patter 26.4

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Apr 26, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Have you ever bought or been tempted to buy something because it looks just too good a deal to not take advantage of but it means extra work or then has such knock on effects that you start to question it?

Only asking because kind of on a whim, DH went and picked up a secondhand 4ft fish tank with it's own cabinet yesterday. It was $100, when the same size and brand tank without the cabinet is $1300 new, so it looked like an awesome deal but it took us ages to get out of the car & get into the house to start with (all that glass is heavy & fragile even without water) and he spent ages cleaning it and it's currently sitting in the laundry with 240 litres of water in it to make certain it doesn't have a slow leak or anything before we shuffle 3 or 4 rooms worth of furniture to try to fit it in somewhere, which includes adding some power points, possibly moving the tv antenna socket and also patching the cornice/ceiling in one spot (long story but birds will try to eat anything). We would never have even considered a $1300 tank, especially with the knock on effects. I'm sure it'll be worth it eventually. I hope it was worth it!

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I got a Keurig for $10 at a garage sale. It was our neighbors so I trusted it would work and had been cared for, so $10 seemed like a steal! Little did I know how much I'd then spend on k-cups...:duh (to save the planet, I try to use the reuseable one and I've purchased the recycle-able cups but tbh those are a pain.) And when that machine eventually broke we of course had to buy another one.

bellbird likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh boy, Justine, good luck with that. And Sara, that's why I've never been tempted to buy a Keurig. Plus, it's all just too much for me to think about - all those different flavors and combinations. I just want to dump coffee into the filter and be done with it. Hahaha

I have a funny fish story. Our youngest dd won a gold fish at the school fair and they sent it home with her in a plastic bag. I found a big bowl for it to swim around in and sent her and dh to buy a fish bowl the next day. Big mistake. They came home with a large glass tank (sounds like the one you got, Justine), a filtering system, the pretty rocks and underwater figures, the works. I about croaked! Plus they bought more fish. Guess who got to take care of the little jewels????? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. I should have known better because he always got the kids whatever they wanted. I could just see them - they went to a pet store, of course.

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

lol... and I thought I got a great deal getting one for $60 (but mine was new) ... Christmas Tree shop and Walmart if your are not too picky about your K cup brand - they have cheap ones.

5. jenn mccabe

oh my word, that's a great story ... but dang, I would have kicked myself for not going myself. I wonder how much fish tank product sales go up around fair time of the year. I bet you are not alone there!

bellbird likes this.
  6. Tree City

$60 for a new one is a great price! Unfortunately I'm very picky about my k-cups--not the brand necessarily but the roast. My fave is Laughing Man Ethiopian Sidama, but I have the hardest time finding it around here. Maybe I should just buy some ES beans and use the reuseable k-cup?

7. jenn mccabe

ok, yeah. you are a coffee snob ... deftly ignore me then! you'd probably gag on the K cups i drink! :giggle

Tree City likes this.
  8. Tree City

LOL, I never meant to be a coffee snob! I started out drinking gas station coffee. I'll do my best not to hold it against you. :whistle lol!

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@bellbird Growing up in my mom's house with a 75 gallon tank (which I think is about the size of the tank you purchased), I can absolutely say that I would pass on any kind of fish tank. They are a LOT of work! And guess who got to clean it out? Yup

I am a sucker for a good deal, so if I was looking for a tank, I would have been delighted to find one for $100 - and would go through all your steps to get it working.

Most all of my possessions, with the exception of electronics, are second hand. I got a new dining room set with china hutch and buffet, right after Christmas and I was delighted. It required a bit of work to shine it up, but it was a great price and fits in with my style so well.

Tree City likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

teehee - I only wish I was a coffee snob, but truth be told I like light to medium roast - Dunkin Donut type coffee. It's garbage and I know it! I can't handle the strong stuff. Every once in awhile - but not as my morning joe.

Tree City likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I really hope you didn't have to rearrange most of your house to fit the dining table in?

We had a small tank as older kids and i was the one to clean it out etc and we already have 2 (what i thought were large!) tanks - they're about 25 US gallons each and DH cleans them out because i was mostly doing it but my arm isn't long enough to reach the bottom of the tank to clean through the rocks properly (and i'd have a bruise for a week across the top of my arm where it rubbed across the plastic edge of the lid). He's now trying to figure out some method of cleaning it that doesn't involve dragging buckets of water in and across the house, because guess why the last people were selling it?! yep, maintenance was too much for them! And I'm up early on a Saturday because now there's a courier company bringing us a very large, but luckily on sale, filter while he's out buying other stuff to go with this too good to pass up deal!
    I'm partially blaming the last trip we went on because at the zoo/aquarium place, the kids and him started saying 'wouldn't it be cool if we had an aquarium room at home?! what if we had a sting ray?! ' and it was all half joking and then starting to straddle the line to 'not joking'. Another bird would be less work at this stage!

norton94 and gonewiththewind like this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm sorry you got stuck with it all! (and i think my sister did the same thing as a young adult, won a fish and bought the whole kit and kaboodle and a fish friend to give it a good life! i think @jenn mccabe is right, they'd have to see a spike in sales!

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We did have to move some things. Had to get rid of the old dining table and chairs (they sold super quick) and then we moved our old entertainment piece out that held our TV and are using the buffet for that (that piece also sold super quickly). The china cabinet replaced an antique sewing machine, which is my hubby's grandma's machine and we're currently storing it. I'm waiting for the day when I actually get a craft room, and I'd like to put the sewing machine in there.

We don't have a large home at all, so it was a bit like Tetris to get everything to fit in. But now that all that work is over, I'm very happy!

BevG likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Tetris is a great description for it!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

I DID kick myself! Big mistake! I'll bet pet stores see a spike in sales around school carnival time, you're probably right about that.

Tree City, jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

I got stuck with the job. I was the only one who cared whether the tank smelled or not. They're a lot of work.

bellbird likes this.
  17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love fish and fish tanks! We have had huge and little and huge is easier to keep clean! but...........moving them in pure torture. Check the sun rays before you decide where, cause you will have bad algae grow with it.
    and sitting in the evening, watching the fish is the most calming time of our evening. I love them! Angel fish are my favorite and then get some schooling fish that go with it...oh you will love it!

bellbird likes this.
  18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I think men are like that. My DH is always doing stuff like that, his go to "deal" is bulk. Like we needed a few lightbulbs, okay, he goes and buys a BOX of lightbulbs ....like I have somewhere else for another box in this tiny apartment :cornfused:cornfused

19. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Oh Justine! This post is hilarious :) Good luck - I'm sure it will be worth it later

bellbird likes this.
  20. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I bought a battery operated, fake fish tank, nightlight for the counter in the kids bathroom a long time ago. That worked well. :giggle

QuiltyMom, bellbird and bestcee like this.