To Buy or Not to Buy

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Sep 17, 2018.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

What do you look for in a scrapbooking kit that determines if you purchase?

What is something you'd want to know before purchasing that you can't tell from a preview or description??

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

In the past, I sent a message to Val of Little Butterfly Wings (huge fan) when her previews showed only a small section of her papers when I was trying to decide on her pack. I noticed she now often includes a second preview showing the entire view of the papers (thank you!). Her papers are so amazing and sometimes those little slivers don't really show that. Here is one where she does that: https://the-lilypad.com/store/Papers-ADD-ON-M3-August-18.html

I also like to see the unique thinks clearly in a preview. Most kits have flowers, string, etc.; I want to see what else they have.

frani_54, bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. LoveItScrapIt

Oh that's awesome that she started to include those!!! I love when designers do that.

4. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I like to see word bits or word art. That's what usually catches my eye.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I've been thinking about this question and I think I tend to buy based on theme and/or color, so there isn't one item that "has" to be in a kit. But like @BevG mentioned, I like when I can see papers in mixed media or art journal-y types of kits because they're always so unique. And sometimes just seeing a fun paper can spark my creativity.

LoveItScrapIt and BevG like this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

PREVIEWS of the elements with a neutral background, same goes for WAs. Sometimes you miss so much with the busyness of the pattern papers as part of the kit preview.

7. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

I really love when designers split the papers and elements into separate packs. I'm able to buy more that way! Sometimes I don't want or need overly themed papers and I love getting just the elements to use with other things I already have.

8. LoveItScrapIt

These are all great. I'm a sucker for flowers and fun animals or quirky things. I love great color combos too!

9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Color, and versatility of word art and kit items. :)

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Paint, transfers and texture, are .must haves, and only God knows why,but if it has a bicycle in it it lands in my basket...

Dalis, Karen, Tree City and 2 others like this.
  11. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

First and foremost, colour determines whether I buy a kit. Then how elements look against a neutral background (I agree with @Dalis, it is sometimes hard to determine what elements are included when the preview is against the patterned papers). Next, if the kit contains coordinating solids to go with its patterned papers. I find looking for matching solids in other kits so tedious! I also like patterned papers to be varied. Not every patterned paper has to have all the colours of the kit in it. Having a simple patterned paper is often better for me than a more complex one.

12. Dalis

Yes, I love tone on tone papers and LOVE LOVE if the paper pack has a wood looking paper. LOL!!!

LoveItScrapIt and HeatherB like this.
  13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Tone on tone papers are so versatile!! Love them!

Dalis likes this.
  14. LoveItScrapIt

I'm a sucker for a great wood grain

Dalis likes this.
  15. Dalis

ME TOO, Kiana!!!!!

Out of my last 6 pages, 4 have wood grain of some kind.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.35.58 PM.png

bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Mine is cameras. Always with the cameras! :shopping

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

:peekin I'm not very helpful. I have to look at a kit and go "Oh! That would work great with x photos!". And since no designer has access to my brain and photos....:lol It doesn't have to be theme, but the colors or word art or something has to say scrap x with this!

If it's a unique color scheme for a holiday,(especially :tree) I will take a second glance. Or a boy kit without flowers. I always look at those twice to see if I would use it! But then it comes down to my photos....:photo

18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's almost always colors (bright and fun) that draw me in first... then I love to see a bunch of generic elements included. Just because I'm scrapping about beach pictures doesn't mean I want EVERY element to say "beach" on it, KWIM? I love buttons and bits and strings, etc. that match colors but aren't too themey.

19. Dalis

Most bicycle kits are super cute!

20. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I buy almost everything! I love anything with books or reading themed and have lots of tv/movie watching stuff. I LOVE a good plaid (Allison Pennington is my go-to for great plaid papers). Woodgrain is another type of paper I love. I am getting into more artsy style stuff and have LOVED the recent BYOC releases by Rebecca McMeen- both her July and her August stuff had some LOVELY bits and bobs. I will buy almost anything with a tandem bike, as my husband and I left our wedding on one owned by my parents and we (my mom, dad, brother and I) all used to ride it when I was little (me in a kidseat on the back, my baby bro in a backpack carrier on my dad.) I tend to love Peppermint's stuff and have bought almost all of her kits over the years- I miss her designing! I am filling in that niche with Elif Sahin and Sabrina's Creations though I still miss One Little Bird!