tis the season to be givin...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mlpieters, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mlpieters

mlpieters the princess of PINK

i love finding charities that put their money to excellent use or having a teaching aspect to them.

denver mission feeds the homeless a holiday meal for about $1 per person. even i can't feed people for that amount and i figure that if my pantry is full i can spare at least $10.

love love love heifer international - - their concept goes along the line of teach a man to fish - you can purchase all sorts of animals that first help to feed the family, then the organization teaches the family how to make it into a business to feed their village with the next step of growing large enough to sell to other villages. love that whole idea.

i also tend to put some $1s in my pocket during this season - i give when i feel led and leave the subject of what they are doing with that dollar up to God. i've also been known to pay for someone's drinks in line after me at starbucks. just cuz. :dreamy

what are you're favorite charities to give to?

2. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

We love to give too. I love the idea of just carrying extra money in your pocket!

WE just filled our shoes boxes for the Christmas drive we filled them for a 2-4 year old boy and a 5-9 year old girl.
    We picked angels off the tree and will be picking up those in the next couple of weeks.
    I think its important for my girls to be a part of this, they pick the angel/shoe box and fill them with whatever they wish.
    On the day after Christmas we always head to San Fran. and pass out sandwiches along with new socks, tooth brushes etc.

We do the starbucks thing as well thats ALWAYS fun we also pay for the person behind us on the toll bridge.
    [​IMG]

The ADVENT CONSPIRACY is an organization we support this time of year we have volunteers from our church who participate, they do AMAZING things!

Sometimes I think we get more out of giving then anything, especially the example we set for our girls!:beat

3. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

We also give to our local homeless shelter, who also feeds people in need for $1/p - which is amazing!

At our church we host a program called Braekfast with Babies - where we invite young mom's from the community (single or married) to come and enjoy a good breakfast on one Sat. a month and "shop" for free diapers, wipes, clothing, etc.... Such a neat ministry, so we choose a tag off of that tree at church to get gifts for these families!

Love hearing what everyone likes to do!

4. Paula

Paula Kicks Challenge Butt!

We bought two turkeys and gave it to the local food pantry. They'll cook them and serve them for Thanksgiving.

5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I love all these ideas! We don't do anything specific for Thanksgiving. We give throughout the year to the local humane society and various other charities, and at christmas time we go and buy a ton of kid's toys and take them to a Toys for Tots donation station

6. AmySumrall

AmySumrall aka Joan

We also do toys for tots every year. Each week when I do the grocery shopping this time of year, I purchase a premade bag to help feed the homeless. Our Publix starts it in November and runs through the end of the year.

But my favorite charities throughout the year are Humane Society, Cancer Society, and March of Dimes.