Tip for Colorizing in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by SharLamb, Nov 12, 2018.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I hope this is the right place to post this. It is a little tip I stumbled upon that I have never seen addressed in tutorials anywhere, so I thought I would share it.

If you have an element whose color does not go with your layout, you can just go to
    Image>Adjustment>Hue/Saturation
    then fiddle with the three options (Hue, Saturation, and Lightness)

OR, you can click the COLORIZE box. My hint is this:

Before you even go to Image, make your FOREGROUND a color that is in the color family you'd like to change your element to. Use the color picker, for instance, to sample your daughter's blouse, causing the foreground color to turn to the color of her blouse. Then when you go into Image>Adjustment>Hue/Saturation, the COLORIZE box lower right will have a color in the family of your daughter's blouse. You will probably have to adjust it with the Saturation and/or Lightness sliders, but it will be closer than if you just had black, or some random color as foreground.

I hope I was clear in explaining this, and that it will help someone. :)

Scrapping with Liz, tsendi and jk703 like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That's great information, Shar! I just recently started recoloring lots of things and I taught myself to use the Color Box. I'll have to try image>adjustment>hue/saturation. I'm going to write that down right now. I love that I know how to recolor things. It opens up all kinds of variety for me. I used to feel stuck because something was the wrong color and now it doesn't bother me. Thanks.

3. SharLamb

Hope it works for you. I agree. I do a LOT of re-coloring...sometimes a little and sometime a lot. :)

4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

For recoloring I always use an adjustment layer ... so can always go back to your original layer.

5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tip. I didn't know about the colorize box, I must try it.

6. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thank you Sharron for sharing that tip. I use that sometimes but a lot of the time in my CS6 I use Image - Adjustment - Selective coloring - then play around with the sliders and colours but a good idea is to copy your layer and work on the copy to save going back in history is you do not like it.

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I did some screen shots last week for Jennifer when she did not like colors of a kit.. I will move them over here too so there is a visual :) great instructions Sharon! Thanks for adding the tip!! :)

tsendi likes this.
  8. cfile

Screen shots are for PSE 15 - pretty muh the same in PS CC versions re Hue/Sat

Re a qustion was posed in this thread: "Ever get a kit or collection that isn't just "you" https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/ever-get-a-kit-or-collection.58834/
    --------------
    My answer was this :
    Not always do the kits have things we use, but also it is a way to try out colors we/you don't normally work with.. If you try it maybe with a b/w photo you just may find yourself out of your comfort zone, and try something new...

Otherwise, you can always do a hue adjustment on some of the elements to make it work for you.. even using a B/W photo will go with all colors so change a photo to b/w to use the kit.

Here is a quick screen shot (Using PSE 15) to change via hue adj the flower from Turquoise to red but it can be any color by adjusting the slides.

With your element highlighted in the layer pallet, go to the top tool bar and choose Enhance>Adjust Color>Adjust Hue/Saturation

[​IMG]

When the window opens, change the "Master" to the color tone you want to change. In this instance the color of Cyan for the "turquoise" flower.

[​IMG]

Now slide the sliders on the Hue and Saturation and Lightness to get the color you want.

[​IMG]

Here I changed the petals to red... now if I wanted to change the center from yellow to another color , change the Cyan to Yellow and move the sliders.

You have now adjusted the color to suit your page.

I also suggest changing your photo to B/W if there are colors that don't match with the color scheme that month.

9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Thanks for sharing, Sharon! I love learning new ways to do things. While I knew about the Hue//Saturation, the tip to change it beforehand is great! :)

cfile likes this.
  10. tsendi

tsendi New Member

Great tips, ladies!

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

as Jenn @jk703 said Sharon, this is an awesome tip so thank you!!!

KellyM and jk703 like this.
  12. SharLamb

Just to clarify...I NORMALLY do as cfile suggested above. But sometimes it doesn't work, because when you select one color to change, it isn't all contained in one spot. Or there may be blue, cyan, and green, for instance, all mingled together, which takes much more manipulating. Yes! If you want to change the center color of a flower and the petals, for instance, both (separately), colorization won't work. But if you want a quick way to change the color of the whole element, it works great (for me, at least).

cfile likes this.
  13. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Ladies, thank you for sharing the great tips for colorizing in Photoshop!

cfile likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

16. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@SharLamb Very belated thank you for your suggestion. I had no idea what the colorize box was used for and while I have used the Hue/Saturation method (or just the Edit fill layer for a totally solid element/word art,) I sometimes could not get a good red cf the images @cfile used. You method got me a match to the color I wanted. So simple and so easy. Now all I have to do is remember that trick!

18. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Sharon... I'm late to the party, but this is a wonderful tip!! Thanks so much for posting this one!

19. tsendi

tsendi New Member

Great tip! Thanks, Sharr