Thrifted clothes

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Mrsdudds, May 10, 2023.

1. Mrsdudds

Mrsdudds Well-Known Member

I have recently started buying and selling clothes on vinted (UK Based app). I have put on a bit of weight over last year or so, and had major wardrobe clear out. Anything that didn't fit me or I no longer liked I have listed for sale. I am attempting to purchase second hand clothes, shoes etc going forward. I just wondered does anyone else purchase second hand clothes, have you had any good bargain finds?

I recently purchased a Hot Squash Jumpsuit on Vinted, which I am waiting to be delivered. If it arrives as is was shown on advert it will be my bargain of the year so far. I paid £8 with postage and the same jump-suit is still for sale online for £129

umyesh and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’d say 75-80% of my clothes and shoes are second hand and it’s been that way for years. I regularly get $200-250 shoes for under $20.
    Also a lot of my house stuff (for whenever I move out of home) is second hand. The best bargain I’ve got in that regard was a massive red rug that was over $350 new for $60. I also got my computer/office chair second hand for $40 (would have been around $400 new)

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We use second hand clothes, but they are normally gifted rather than bought. It's common in our community to pass clothes to people that might fit/use them better. We have a school uniform swap that the Council hosts every summer to take out grown but still good uniform, and collect uniform for the next school year.

I also get given clothing that's no longer wearable to turn into upcycled quilts, rag dolls and rugs etc.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't bought thrifted clothes online. I do buy thrifted books online. But clothes I go to our local thrift stores. We have an awesome community one that usually has a few good finds. Most of their stuff is under $5, with some name brand (like Nike, etc.) about $8. My kid has worn a lot of thrifted clothes because he grows too fast!

I'll buy some if I find something I like. I like the fact it's already washed, so I don't have to worry about it shrinking. I hate when clothes shrink.

5. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

I shop second hand when I find what I'm looking for. I recently bought two tunics from H&M from their William Morris serie they had a couple of years ago. I do buy other things to like books and things like seeds for the garden. My youngest daughter buys almost everything second hand except shoes.

6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

We have a really nice Goodwill store near us and I've bought a couple of things from there. Sometimes I buy photography props there too. But, I'm not a big thrifter -- I'm more likely to wait for close-out sales at my usual stores and buy stuff there.

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I have bought clothes online from ThredUp in the past and still like wearing them. I also wear second hand clothes from family.

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We discovered thrifted stores in the UK that are totally awesome, I bet if we lived there we would regularly shop there. sadly we don't have anything like that on my side of the pond. The only thrifted goodies I have are gifted. But then as we get rid of goodies we gift them too.

9. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

I love buying second hand items, especially furnitures and clothes. We have an app in Malaysia called Carousell where people sell and buy pre-loved items of all kinds. So far, the best deals I got from that app was a bookshelf for my child which is usually sold around MYR 150 and above, but I got it for only MYR 20.

As for clothes, I've shopped both online and offline for pre-loved clothes. One of my favourite Islamic dresses is actually pre-loved, which I bought from a thrift store managed by a charity organisation. It looked like new when I bought it (back in 2018) and now it's still my favourite.

10. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Buying online is always a bit of a gamble I find. I go through phases of doing it, then having to give away 50% of what arrives to thrift shops! So I try to stick to my favourite consignment stores and thrift stores (known as charity shops in the UK and 'opportunity shops' aka op shops in New Zealand).

In any case, 75% of my clothes are secondhand including most of my favourites!

11. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I’ve bought some shoes and sweaters on Poshmark, but I’m always looking for very specific items that are no longer sold in stores. Generally speaking I don’t enjoy thrifting because I’m an impatient shopper.

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Most of my wardrobe includes secondhand clothing. My niece often cleans out her closet and I get a lot of clothes that way. I just tell anyone that asks about my clothing that it came from Vanessa's Boutique.

AnEnglishLady likes this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love thrift shops/consignment shops. Finding a great deal makes the purchase even sweeter. I have found lots of my fave clothing brands at a fraction of the cost and am always looking for frames, baskets, etc. I also like stores like Winners, Home Sense and Mitchells b/c they get a quick turnover in products and you never know what they will have.

14. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Well since I volunteer in a charity shop ( thrift shop in US ), where the takings go to help fund a veterinarian clinic ( for strays and abandoned animals mostly ) it is a big yes. Especially things like jackets and vintner coats, but also other clothes if something catches my eye. Tony get a lot of shirts from there too. Good makes for about 5 euros. The good thing about mens clothes is that they are often new. Most men don’t bother to re’gift if they receive something they don’t like ,or that doesn’t fit, they give them to charity.
    We also have the best secondhand book store in Malta ( where I am ) so I buy a lot ,both for me and Tony. Prices at about 2 euros instead of 12 to 15 in the shops.
    Everything we sell s in good condition.