Thrift Store Junkie

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AmySumrall, Nov 20, 2009.

1. AmySumrall

AmySumrall aka Joan

Is anyone else here obsessed with thrift stores? :D

We moved last month and now I have all of these awesome thrift stores near by and have made it my mission to scour them several times a week.

I love collecting old Pyrex and Fire King bakeware and cookware and I have found so many treasures. My Grandma had a big collection of Milk Glass and I dont know what happened to it after she passed away, so I have been buying that stuff up too! I looooove searching for this stuff now and when I find something cool I feel like I won the lottery! Ha!

Any other thrift store junkies here? if so, what do you look for?

2. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

Me :) We just moved too and there are a ton of cute shops around here. I inherited my Mom's Hobnail glass collection so I am always on the look out for that. I love finding old fames too.

3. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I am a Junkie Wanna Be! One of these days I am going to start digging around the stores around here. I just always seem to forget about them or I don't have the time.

4. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i love an occasional dig. i was dropping some stuff off at Salvation Army the other day and ended up walking out with a BRAND NEW bike for DD for $25. sometimes you can find some great stuff if you have the time to filter through.

5. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

shhhhhhhh.... I shop the Goodwill stores in the more ritzy areas of town and find some awesome clothes - with the tags still on them for next to nothing! My favorite deal as of late was a pink Disney Princess Sweatshirt for DD, all new tags still attached, it was tagged the color of the day and I bought it for $0.99.... came home and looked for it on Disney - $35.00!!!! what a deal!

6. AmySumrall

AmySumrall aka Joan

LOL Andrea! My sister, DD and I went to the Goodwill Boutique on Palm Beach, which is the very ritzy-rich area over the bridge from where us working stiffs live (LOL) and it was insane and surreal. I couldnt find one thing under $100.00 there. Seriously. it was bizarre.

7. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

I know there are some great bargains to be found in these places but I just can't shop there, I get the itches. I think its the smell of them that gets to me. I'm starting to get itchy just thinking about being in one

Years ago when I got a puppy, I went to go get some cot blankets from the Salvos for his kennel, but I couldn't stand the place so ended up at the local woollen mills and bought him wool blanket offcuts instead. My family laughed at me and called me a snob :giggle

I can happily rummage around in collector shops or antique stores, so it has to be the smell that gets me at the thrift stores :shrug

8. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

kaye, i'm the same as you.
    we went there to find my son a flannel shirt
    for his halloween costume and although it had the new tags
    on it.
    i got the hibee jibees in there.

but i think it might be the town i live in.
    the place was swamped.
    i felt SO out of place.

but i think my dd would love it!
    looking through the old purses, shoes, and hats...
    (eww)
    but she digs that kind of stuff!
    LOL

9. AmySumrall

AmySumrall aka Joan

LOL! Yeah, you gotta get past the smell to get to the good stuff. I havent actually checked out the clothes and shoes, umm no thanks. I stick to the sections with the house wares and the art. Here's some of the stuff I found!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

The GW's that we shop in are actually pretty nice. They organize the racks and the store is clean... they also have stained and laquered concrete floors - which is quite the rage around here- glass fronts so it's almost like shopping in a boutique.

Oh I forgot - BOOKS!!!! I buy lots of books for dirt cheap from GW.

11. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

I will say it! ..... I LOVE buying clothes there! I mean yes they have a CERTAIN smell when you buy them but as long as you throw them in the wash the MOMENT you get home you are GOLDEN!!!!!

My tricks- By winter clothes in the summer and sumer in the winter! Otherwise everything is picked over!!!!!
    For my kids I ALWAYS score NEW Gymboree, Kids Gap, OshKosh clothes there! I just scored my oldest daughter a BRAND new GAP jean jacket for $2! I mean I just can't justify buying is new knowing I could get it there! Especially when they are only going to wear it 6 months MAYBE a year! :)

shhh... I also buy MY clothes there!!! But same deal!>>.. Banana Republic, J. Crew, Gap clothes for ME too! I adore thrift store shopping!

12. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

My mother has always been a Macy's/Nordie's kind of girl and I drug her out to a thrift store... she found a blouse that she had seen at Macy's for big $$$ marked for $2 - guess what??? she snatched it up!

On one of my first visits to the thrift store I was browsing through the racks when this woman, who was shopping further down the same rack gasped... "My God!" she said holding up a cute little jacket "This is a $300.00 jacket for $5.00!" She was giddy! It's scores like that one that keep you coming back to treasure hunt!

13. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

14. lizzyfizzy

lizzyfizzy More posts ... need more posts!

i am total thrift store junkie!! garage sales too! i looooooooove buying crap at a fraction of it's original price. LOOOOVE.

15. jessicamae3

jessicamae3 New Member

Amy we are kindred spirits!
    I am a total Thrift Junkie(was just there today....hehehe) I got some great books for teaching phonics! But I am so lost in the 70s that I love it. I dont know what happened to me...owls, mushrooms...its crazy. Like you I stick with the housewares and art and vintage fabric! We have a local farmer/flea market that is like one huge thrift shop every wednesday! I have scored so many treasures there!

fibers, purse, scarves, dictionary

Vintagey finds I used to make a mini album!

fibers, cards, beads, fabric, buttons

keys, etc

vintagey crap hehehe

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  16. AmySumrall

AmySumrall aka Joan

Wow, Jess, awesome finds! I love that mini album! I need to come up and visit you in orlando so we can thrift shop! Oh and ITA on the owls and mushrooms and 70's! LOL!

17. jessicamae3

jessicamae3 New Member

I passed up the cutest set of mushroom flour, sugar, coffee containers today! What was I thinking??? May go back tomorrow...3.00 for set!