This Weekend..Easter anyone?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tronesia, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I know that everyone does not celebrate Easter but for those that do, what will you be doing this weekend?

We just moved to a new state and there is no family here...just the 3 of us (my daughter, her dad and I). Normally, we would go to my mom's house after church for dinner and we would stage an egg hunt for the kids. I actually feel kind of bad for wanting to celebrate Easter since I haven't been to church in years (long story there). On the other hand, I feel like I should do something since we have since my daughter was born and this is one of those things she remembers. I would hate to add yet another change in her life right now. Soooo I plan to take her to an egg hunt and we are baking cupcakes, and I will probably make a big dinner.

2. seicajs

seicajs New Member

I recently read on a blog about a family that has an Easter basket hunt. The kids wake up to an empty Easter basket outside their bedroom door and have to hunt for the items to fill it. (I think The Bunny leaves hints or maybe an item count to help out.;) ) I thought that sounded like a fun idea, & maybe it would help to make the actual day a little more special for her. Sorry I can't remember where I got the idea from!

3. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

We would normally go out but the weather is rubbish this year so just a day in eating chocolate and hot cross buns for us

4. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

We have plans to go to a fancy Easter brunch. The girls love it because there is a "chocolate fountain" :)

5. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Our church has a huge Easter egg hunt and all kinds of games etc.... so that's what we will be doing on Saturday. Sunday is church for us but they do the Easter fun and games on Saturday so Sunday will just be focused on what Easter is truly about for us. My kids have, in the past, taken turns hiding the eggs and finding them on Sunday in between morning and evening services so I guess they will do that again if the weather permits.

6. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

We aren't religious, but we still do the Easter bunny part. The girls wake up to their baskets on the table and the bunny leaves eggs for Daddy to hide. Normally, we go to my parents, but my mom has to work this year, so we'll probably cook at home too.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh yeah! Lots going on for Easter for our family this weekend. We are "church-folks" so a lot of time spent at church, but we also do the easter egg hunt stuff too. Friday we get the day off of work, so that's awesome and then we'll do Good Friday service at church that night. Our church also does a cross walk to re-enact Jesus' day on Good Friday and him carrying the cross. We've never done that part before, but I think it would send the message home a lot more and I think my kids would get a lot out of that.

Saturday we don't have any plans and my husband is going to be gone for the day, so I think we might see if there's a local egg hunt anywhere. Sunday I'll be at church by 6:00 a.m! YIKES! I sing in the choir and we're singing for all three services, 6:30, 8:00 and 10:30 with a breakfast thing snuck in the middle somewhere. :)

After all that we'll go to my in-laws for a big lunch and the easter egg hunt for the kids. I'll be needing a nap for sure by the end of that!

8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Tronesia,
    We always go to the in-laws house on Easter Sunday after I hide Eggs on Saturday night, but this is the first year they are not here in the same state. Bianca is all excited to see if the Easter bunny is coming to our house, but I don't know.

9. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I've been so out of it that I haven't done any planning... I did buy their outfits... and I'm needing to talk to Dalis about maybe getting a family photo for me (LOL, that you're reading this here first :p) We'll go to church but not sure what service we'll try to get to... the one that we normally go to is the crazy busy one, so I don't know LOL... we'll have an egg hunt which reminds me I need to make their baskets yet LOL... normally we get together with family but we're on our own this year, so I have nooooo clue what we're doing yet... maybe we'll plan brunch with Dalis and family LOL (still giggling that you're reading this here before I talk to you)

10. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I actually like this idea..I might have to do that. She might be a little mad when sees the empty basket which will be funny to me...lol! She loves searching for things though...thanks for that idea!

Karen- I was thinking the same thing but thankfully the sun is finally coming out and the temps are rising. It will be at least warm enough for her to go outside without instant whining of the cold.

You ladies all have some good plans though..I need to stop procrastinating. That's the same thing I was thinking Dalis...like what do I do now? lol! It's all on me. Oh Heather...lol!!! I definitely understand about church on Easter Sunday. My mom always made us go to church but when I was a teenager and in college, it was no question if I was going or not....I wanted to go...but Easter Sunday was always the worst. We would see people we had not seen in years ...decades...that would fill up the church. I forgot about an outfit...I will have to think of something.

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My mom drove down to pick up DD this afternoon while I was at work. I'll be going up Friday afternoon after my half day at work (holla!), and then we'll have my parents' neighborhood's egg hunt in the morning and Easter dinner with my family + birthday cake for dessert to celebrate my dad's bday last week on Saturday. There's a church just down the road from my parents' house that I love, so I will probably try to go to their early service so I can find a seat and parking spot on Sunday morning, and then we'll drive back to our house.

I have an Easter dress and a more casual Easter outfit for DD, but it's been so unseasonably cold (and we are headed north) that I don't know that she'll be able to wear them! Boohiss. Doesn't Mother Nature know I need color-coordinated seasonally appropriate clothing in the photos I take so they match my scrap kits?! :giggle

We're going to be dying eggs sometime (my mom might do that with her before I get there, I suppose), and my mom bought this cool kit where you put the whole egg into this plastic egg-shaped container with the ink in it so you can just swish the egg around in there and cut way down on mess. My mom also has an Easter basket already for DD, and since my nephew will be there, too, I'm sure she will have an egg hunt with plastic eggs filled with candy at her house sometime during the weekend.

I don't really care abt the Easter Bunny, but my mom is way into it, so I let her do her thing when we celebrate with them. I make sure I talk to DD abt the religious side of things, and it all works out in the end.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

We are Christmas and Easter church attendees (embarassing but true) so that is one the agenda and then we are heading to Chincoteague for a week since it's Spring Break. Our house has no heat (typical beach house) which would normally be ok this time of year but it's been unseasonably cold here in VA this year. Oh well...I would rather freeze at the beach then freeze at home :) We will pack lots of extra blankets and make the best of it!

13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

We'll be in Missouri at my mom and dad's this year. Easter service at the little country church I grew up in and big family dinner after.

I'm excited to be back for Easter but I do love our Easters here at home. Our church has a sunrise service on the beach (Oak Street beach on Lake Michigan). It's such a peaceful way to spend Easter morning. We've never attended a regular Easter service at our church, but with the lines to go into service down Michigan Ave and around the side streets, I've just never wanted to attempt it.

14. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

no big plans other than church, pictures and the usual back yard egg hunt. i think i'll roast a chicken, too.... not sure about that though, after seeing the baby chicks at the store today (i want to chickens!!!!!!).

15. Dalis

TOTALLY GIGGLING HERE TOO!!! We could do brunch. You guys are more than welcome to come home for brunch on Sunday and that way I can take a picture too and vice-versa. You see I can do this too. {giggling here}. We are going for a 10am egg hunt in Naperville South (95th and 59th) around Necqua HS.

16. nun69

nun69 Active Member

we don't usually do anything too big, but I LOVE making the kids Easter baskets and I usually hide some eggs out in the front yard for them to find on Easter morning. This year (since I have 3 kids that will hunt) I am going to hide them each their own COLOR of eggs to find.....
    Abby-pink, Peyont-Green, Ben-Blue so that way it is fair and my daughter doesn't end up finding them all LOL@! I convinced my oldest DD (20) to make her boyfriend an Easter basket and we went and picked out all the stuff for it last night at Wal-Mart...it was super fun!

17. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Nothing really planned here except dinner with my parents, maybe?!?!?! Haven't planned much and will go by the Dollar Store today to grab some candy for the grandkids.....other than that....pretty low-key considering it'll be another rainy, soggy Sunday here. AUGH!

18. Tracey Monette

Tracey Monette Active Member

I don't celebrate in a religious way... but we do easter eggs every year, I set up a hunt around the house, Taylor gets a big Easter basket - and this year, unfortunately - I HAVE TO COOK! :(

19. Dalis

We are having Heather and her family for brunch. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!

20. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

We are heading to my parent's house for the weekend. The boys have been there since Saturday....nice break for me!!! We will decorate eggs on Saturday, go to church on Sunday and then go over to my brother's house for lunch/dinner....then head home since the boys have school on Monday.

I didn't buy Easter outfits this year...I am still wearing a boot on my surgery foot, so unfortunately, I will probably be wearing yoga pants!! LOL