This LO is taking FOREVER! It's doing it on purpose.

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by chickypow, Oct 18, 2016.

1. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

I'm a super fast scrapper. It's kinda like a design for a LO is already in my head subconciously so when I go to scrap it just flows. I start with my photo and then go from there. It's always been this way. I can do a LO, start to finish, in half an hour or less. It's just how I work.

OK. This one LO I'm working on right now (for the BYOC challenge).....AAAHHHHH......I've been at it for 2 freakin' hours!!!! Ok, a few cleaning breaks here and there cause my house is a disaster, but still. I like what I have so far but now I'm stalled. Totally stalled. And it's very obviously not finished to look at. No matter what I put on it, it doesn't look "right". I know what I want it to say and express but it was flowing then hit a brick wall. This LO doesn't like me. Sigh

What do you guys do when you get stalled on a LO? If that happens to you.

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

eat! or nap bhahhaha

Tree City, cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  3. chickypow

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Sometimes I throw it away and start over. Other times I save and walk away.

I love the nap or eat idea!

Tronesia, chickypow and keepscrappin like this.
  5. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

Walk away and come back to it with a fresh mind.

6. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Save it as a psd and try again tomorrow. Sometimes I find it just needs to sit there a while. Love when I figure it out just before I fall asleep. Or do another layout and then try again.

chickypow likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Absolutely. I call it letting the creativity percolate.

chickypow and carilyne like this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Ask Courtney. @bestcee She was scrapping with me the other night and I was really struggling with a layout . . . I totally scrapped it and started over. I should have done it much sooner than I did, because once I started anew, it went along just fine and quick (like you, most of mine are under 30 minutes).

bestcee, chickypow and keepscrappin like this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I wish I could scrap a layout in 30 minutes or less, most of mine take an hour or two. uggh! But, sometimes the stars align and I can scrap it in 30 minutes and that's when I rejoice! So to answer your question, start over. I've done that many, many times. Sometimes, I pick a different template from the pack. Sometimes I change kits or even the photos. It seems like once I toss it and start over, it flows better and I can get the layout done quicker. I guess I should toss em and start over more often, or at least sooner than later.

chickypow likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I save and come back at another time. Definitely frustrating, howevr I do not scrap in 30 minutes.. it takes me a long time.. hour or so.. only when it is a speed scrap can I do it faster!

11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

size it down, and journal what is wrong with it..

chickypow likes this.
  12. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

So frustrating! If I feel it is close, then save, walk away and come back to it. Lately, I've become much beter at just wiping the slate clean and starting again. Usually with different photos as well.

Good luck..

13. chickypow

I got it. Haha. I walked away and did some other stuff when I had the realization that it WAS done. Just needed some words. I did eat too. Lol

I've thrown LO's away before actually. It's so frustrating when you look at one and you don't like it no matter what you do or you get stuck and nothing works.

keepscrappin and enjoyyourpix like this.
  14. chickypow

Do you guys live close???? That would be sooooo cool to have a scrappy friend to scrap with! And I got a giggle at how you couldn't scrap it so you totallyou scrapped it and started over! Heehee that awesome!

keepscrappin and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I think they scrap together over the internet which would be so fun.
    Don't know about you Erin, but it felt so good to hear Cheryl (Miss template and layouts always look perfect) tosses layouts midway too. I have saved it and started over, but it's always hard to totally throw it until I find something different.
    Glad it worked out for you. I often leave one on the computer overnight and it's surprising how fresh eyes see what it needs.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I start over. Like, 100% over. I close PS, restart my computer, take a breath or maybe just a big fat break where I'm not even near my laptop, and then try again. I'll look at different kits or different pics of the event before I even think about opening PS.
    The thing is (for me), if a LO isn't working, then I have to have a totally "clean canvas" in order to really feel as if I'm starting over, like @gonewiththewind mentioned. If I try to just move elements around the page I've already started, then it just seems like I'm trying to pretend poop is perfume. (There's a less child-friendly version of this saying, but I'm sure ya get me!) The problem for you is that you're working with BYOC product, so it's not like you can start with a different kit or something. :) Maybe a different pic, or re-cropping the pic? That helps me sometimes.
    OH, another thing: sometimes slightly tweaking colors or layer styles can help. My LO for SOSN this week drove me nuts until I duplicated the border layer, moved the top layer's opacity to about 50%, and changed the bottom border layer to Overlay. I also did selective coloring to make the purple match the kit's purple color. Wow, this was a long explanation, but my point is that sometimes there are little things nagging at you (in my example: color) that aren't as easily solved as element placement.
    Anyway, I'm glad you added words and felt it was finished. I'm trying not to add too much personal detail to my LOs when I post them online, but sometimes my LO looks unfinished after I hide the text. Yea for WA. :)

chickypow and gonewiththewind like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@chickypow @carilyne Well, to be fair, the kit I was having to create with was um, challenging, to work with, right @bestcee ? No, it was not from the Lilypad. That explains a lot right there. LOL

18. bestcee

Yep! Carilyne got it! We scrap together online with microphones and webcams. We don't even live in the same time zone! It is really fun though!

19. chickypow

Oh my! I need a microphone! That would be super fun!

rchansen, gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  20. bestcee

Yes. You do.

chickypow and gonewiththewind like this.