The differences in Photoshop Element and Photoshop cc

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by bjc, Nov 21, 2016.

1. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

I use photoshop cc and my 7 year old grandson who has been using his own point and shoot camera since he was 3 and i use photoshop together. of course he needs some help but he can do some things himself, like shapes, transform, copy and paste. he has the idea of layers. I cant afford to buy him photoshop and it is too complicated but i see that photoshop elements 15 is selling for $89 and would like to get it for him for a gift.

can someone tell me how different it is and will i be able to quickly figure it out so i can show him how to use elements?

thanks

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

if you use photoshop cc, pse should be a piece of cake

bjc likes this.
  3. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I design in PSE almost exclusively except for Illustrator. The newest version, 15, is almost as close as you can get with few exceptions that I have seen far. I have CC, just don't use it. I had a bit of a learning curve coming out of 10 due to placement of things and the hot keys are not the same, but otherwise I use it for everything. I want to avoid Adobe Cloud-ness if possible. Hahaha! It has been on sale for 40, which is what I paid via Amazon. PSE Premiere is 89, but I found I didnt use those extra options in 10's version. There are some amazing upgrades to anination and other features this tome. It could just be me, IDK

As he gets older and photo edits more and more, I would think that Lightroom would be the next progression opposed to upgrading to CC. @gonewiththewind uses Lightroom for photo editing and her images are always amazing

gonewiththewind and bjc like this.
  4. Danyale

Oh, but I did forget to mention that you can't open EPS files, which is another way to get vectors. You have to use CC for those or a conversion program.

5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm just sighing...thinking of how great it is to learn something like CC at age 7! he a 65 year head start on me! :clap

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I used PSE 13 before going to CC. The biggest difference for me from PSE to CC is the photo bin. @Danyale 15 still has the bin right? There are some tools that aren't in PSE, or tools that are easier in CC like putting a shadow on it's own layer. The shadow just requires a small workaround. I think PSE is just fine for him.

Here's Adobe's basic list of the differences. http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/elements-switch/ccpp-vs-pse.html

Danyale likes this.
  7. Danyale

Yep. The bin is still there. ;)

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

PSE is a fabulous starter program! What a great present!

And you can grab it on Amazon for $39.99 right now! http://a.co/htir05v They have PC and MAC options when you follow the link. :)

jesskab and jenn mccabe like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just have to say that is so cool that you are teaching him so young Bobbie! Both how to use a camera and how to you photoshop! I tried with my kids but they lost interest.

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

It's been quite a while since there have been two versions of PSE. Adobe finally figured out how to put both versions in the same box! Windows AND Mac versions of PSE15.

IMG_8583.JPG

Danyale and gonewiththewind like this.
  11. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I love my PSE14 and use it for 95% of my scrapping and only use CC for running some PS actions. :)

12. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I just snagged PSE 15 yesterday for only $49.99! I've been a CC user for years, but my current version isn't so current...lol I figured for 49.99, I could learn the differences between PSE and CC easily. I only use Photoshop when I design anyway. My main concern will be if my actions will work with it. I have SO many actions, that I will be really bummed if they don't work.

bestcee likes this.
  13. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My 8yr old asked me to teach him to scrapbook & he always brings home tickets or stickers to "scrapbook". Santa's bringing him an action camera (like a Go-Pro) for Christmas as he's been very into film lately. So, we'll see. Maybe once he has his own pics to document his life, we'll delve into it. I use PSE 14, but would love 15. I also have CS6, but I don't like it. Too many bells & whistles.

@gonewiththewind Oh my goodness, now I either talk myself out of spending $40 on myself or convince myself it's ok to do so. I NEED IT!!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I want to downgrade to PSE but Amazon won't ship to me.....booo cause it will save me around $100

15. jesskab

I bought that deal this morning that Cheryl linked. I love it already. I have to get used to some of the shortcuts being different. But, it's super easy & I love the photo options. I went from PSE 13 TO PSE 15 & it's so much better already. I'm so glad I got it. I let my 8yr old play around with the photo effects & he gave it a thumbs up.

Danyale and bestcee like this.
  16. Danyale

That is what I said about 15 too @jesskab! The shortcuts are different but better functionality and less using the keyboard once I learned right click was my friend again, haha.

jesskab likes this.
  17. jesskab

@Danyale do things seem bigger to you? I feel like I'm not squinting as much.

18. Danyale

@jesskab - And brighter - which I like in some ways but I do miss being able to adjust it if I wanted. It may be in there, can't find it yet, haha. I'm getting used to have the tool option in the photo bin area, as I also don't see a way to adjust or move those. There are so few videos or tips out yet!! I have questions, people. Hahaha.

jesskab likes this.