THE (Computer) CRASH of 2018 | Lessons and Tips

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by ForeverJoy, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

️Yup. My computer crashed last Sunday- BUT the only thing I lost was time! The first thing I did when I got back up and running today was write this post to share the tips and safety nets that worked for me- I hope they can help you too!
    [​IMG]

KarenB, jesskab, bellbird and 6 others like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm off to read it now. BTW, love the siggy message LOL. I totally agree.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've had backups on my mind lately. Specifically, off-site online backups. I guess it's time to take a serious look at Backblaze and google photos. I've been doing the free photo storage included with Amazon prime, but I like the idea of automatic backups in more places for more than just photos. Thanks for the push.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yea for not losing data! It does stink to go through the whole dead computer stuff, but not losing anything makes it so much easier. Enjoy the new setup!

And @keepscrappin here's some (good) peer pressure: get BackBlaze! lol

ForeverJoy, bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  5. keepscrappin

I just installed the google photos backup and sync app and it's doing it's thing right now. We're getting ready to go to the water park, so hopefully it'll be done backing up photos when I get back. Then, I'll take a look at backblaze and see if I can figure it out. I tried Mozi years ago and hated how slow it made my computer run, so I quit.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Mozi made my computer run slowly, too! And it just seemed to take forever to backup (our Internet speed was definitely slower than it is now, but it still seemed soooo slooow). Anyway, hopefully you like BackBlaze. It's super easy to install and set up, esp. since it backs up everything; you don't have to worry about missing any files that way.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Renne! :)

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Which is awesome for photos. You can redownloading in a decent size. But think of everything else you use a computer for: school papers, lists, files for church or PTA, etc. All of that is lost if all you backup is photos. :bk

Sorry, I've seen a story or two of someone who was happy to have the backed up photos, but then realized all the other stuff they lost.
    I noticed Backblaze running during my initial backup because I didn't have it set to run slower when I used my computer. It wasn't super slow. More like the difference between using my laptop and the desktop. After the initial backup, I never notice it running.

ForeverJoy and HavaDrPepper like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yeah for only losing time! That's my favorite computer crash story!

ForeverJoy likes this.
  9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol- I really should be cleaning my house ;) ;)

I'm happy time is the only thing you lost!! And- happy to know that I do many of the same backup options you do- so I ~should~ be safe when the crash happens to me! ;)

ForeverJoy likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@bestcee I now have Backblaze! My whole laptop is backed up and my main EHD is as well. I have one more EHD to go. It kind of bugged me at first, with the initial backup, but now, like you said, I don't even notice it running.

ForeverJoy, bestcee and amien1 like this.
  11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Thanks so much for the heads up on Belarc! I had never heard of it before.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  12. ForeverJoy

I have it set to back up my phone and computer- about once a month I try and clean out the junk in there- but love the "safety net" of it all.

:giggle Hijack away! it's great to share what works and what doesn't :yup

YES! That why you need a few different back ups for sure!

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  13. keepscrappin

How did you schedule google photos to backup once a month? Mine is still backing up photos from the other day. My laptop kept going to sleep and I didn't realize that the backup wasn't running if the laptop went to sleep. I finally figured that out this morning and set it to never go asleep when it's plugged in. It's at about 20,000 of 65,000 photos so far. The number of photos keeps increasing, so I'm curious to see how many I end up with when it's finally finished with the initial backup.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  14. ForeverJoy

My punctuation was off- sorry- :giggle the back up is continuous - I just go into Google photos once a month and delete the stuff I don't want- otherwise it will be out of control.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Renne so glad for you that you were sorted this time around!

I'm sure lots of us have been in trouble with this before. Like you I have Backblaze (and did the download option when I had to have a new hard drive). I also have a EHD which I must plug in again as it's a couple of months out of date.

I will have to look into the other options you mentioned.

ForeverJoy likes this.