Texas Scrappers - Please Stay Safe!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by klee73010, Aug 28, 2017.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My heart breaks for all you've lost and all your upcoming struggles, besides those you are facing in these floods currently. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you, and please, please, please stay safe!

2. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Thank you Kristina. I'm in Texas, but I'm not anywhere near the floods. However, it just breaks my heart to see the photos from the Houston/Rockport/Aransas Pass areas. The Texans in those areas need our prayers!

Teri and klee73010 like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

It's heartbreaking. For me... it's a reminder of Sandy. All those people. My heart goes out to them, their families and everyone. I know the recovery will take so long and it makes it so much harder to watch!

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My heart is breaking for my former city. DD's former school is flooded. Our neighborhood is flooded--Good Morning America showed a helicopter rescue a couple hundred feet from our former home. Yesterday I sat with the kids and said "That's where we lived; that's near Daddy's work; Mommy's cousins lived just south of there; our friends live in that neighborhood still." It was all flooded. My brain can hardly wrap my mind around it, and I don't even live there anymore. I can't even imagine the stress and heartbreak Houston is experiencing. (And now Louisiana is bracing for Harvey, 12 years after Katrina.)

There are ways to donate. I don't know if I can share them here, but please, if you can, Google your favorite charity and find out how to help them with relief efforts. There are local charities that may align with your beliefs, as well as more nationally known organizations.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Christina W likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It is terrible what Texas and surrounding areas are going through. I've never been through a flood situation - in CA we were watching a small river that bordered our property almost crest but it didn't quite flood - that was scary enough. I cannot image. And I honestly did not know that Houston was our country's 4th largest city. So many people in need ... and yes, definitely thinking about all our Texas friends ... :beat

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  6. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I live 500 meters from the banks of a river, and this year, the community to the east of us flooded, across the river from us flooded. I knew people who were evacuated from their homes, and workplaces were shut down. And all of this is nothing compared to what we are seeing from Houston. My heart is with Texas and Louisiana, and the swirl of emotions they are having right now.

7. Teri

Teri You bought a used lion?

We are in TX, but not near Houston, have not even seen rain this week. We have had several groups from our first res-ponders head down to help, but they are asking that regular citizens hold off on going down or even compiling goods to take down until first res-ponders can do their job and determine who and what is needed during the next several weeks. They are saying the monetary donations are always a great way to help as the money can be applied to what is truly needed when it is needed. NPR has an article with ideas for where to donate: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...o-help-those-affected-by-harvey-here-s-a-list
    Or you can look to see if your church is accepting donations to help.

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My sister lives in Onalaska, about an hour east of Houston. She says her neighborhood is fine, but the students of the school where she works have been affected.

9. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

It's heartbreaking to see this play out on the news. Prayers for all involved!!

10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

We've never experienced anything like that here, I can't even begin to imagine the roller coaster of shock and emotions everyone is feeling right now. The photos and videos that the news stations have posted are just heart wrenching...my thoughts are with everyone whose been affected.

11. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

The images are so heartbreaking. Thinking of all our Texas friends. :beat