templates question?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by theAndrea, Jul 20, 2014.

1. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

so I did a layout... but I totally forget which template I used. I changed it pretty drastically, the only thing that is really the same is the photo mats and some of the emb spots. I do remember that it had a circle on the top right, left beside the photos and bottom below. It also had a thin paper strip on the right just above the photos (over the circle) and below a thicker one below the photos.

what would help would be if the designers the designers put their names in the first 'background' layer for those of us that forget to write down the product name lol

anyway, anybody recognize this template? and there is a mystery element too lol. here is the name "SF-LP_splatter"... if anybody knows this 'code' please let me know.

here is the LO
    [​IMG]

TIA

2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

SF might be Splendid Fiins.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Sounds like your splatter is a paint layer by Splendid Fiins, maybe? The template looks a bit like the top left one in Amy Martin's Whip it Up… [​IMG]

By the way, I sometimes run into this problem when I'm using templates and I do two things to help:
    1. When I first commit to using a template, I "save as" the document and note the name of the template right away because you're right… it's sometimes hard to track the templates back after you save it
    2. I sort the TLP store by just templates (see link here) and then visually scan for the one I used. That's how I came up with the suggestion above.
    Have a great night! :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

thank you Liana, that's the one!

Hum... I don't have a Splendid Fins folder, but maybe it's in one of my BYOC folders. thanks ladies

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Because I work with templates a lot, the 1st thing I do when I pull a template into PS is rename the background layer the name of the template.

And awesome eye, Liana!

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Such a cute page! :) Your splatter might be from this set?

[​IMG]

7. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

That's a great idea, Jen! And Kim, I love that kit. Almost as much as I love your kits, Sweetie. :)

8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i do the same thing jen does so i don't forget which one i used. (but i've been there where i have forgotten to rename the background layer and have spent a loooonng time searching and searching for the template i used ... that is SO not fun!)

9. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I do something similar... I copy all of the layers over to a new document (because i have saved over a template before) and then group all of the layers with the name of the template as the group name.

10. jenevang

Yep, that "Save As" is important :giggle

Another good way to do it.

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

well, I too learned to write down the names of stuff I use...templates I will always remember as I didn't use them for years, using them a lot now, but as my program doesn't open layered files, I had to drop one by one PNGs...not much chance I'll forget...Sometimes I name the LO and add the template name after, because the meds are working but am old LOL so I keep forgetting....

I have more trouble with elements and papers...write down as much as I can but there are times in which I go through my stash to recognize the element/paper to credit!

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm similar... but save the whole name into the file name. Well, shorthand, lol!

This would be Stolen Moments Little Dreamer kit/ellies, TLP May Freebie Template and Heather Joyce's The Typewriter font.. (it has HH since I bought it way back when, lol!) Then the basic page info, date on page, and version...
    SMD_LtlDrmr_TLPMayTempFree_HHTheTypwrtr_ColinBedhead_5-2014_WEB.jpg

yeah, it's long, but it works for me. When I'm working on a layout all the parts of the layout are in a folder and my psd is called "Working Copy."

13. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

this is a great idea! will try to work it in to my new releases. :)

14. jenevang

:yourock

15. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm pretty sure someone here recommended Anna Forrest's Credit Tracker a while back. I got it and I looooove it. I never have to remember anything anymore. ;)

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

if every template designer did this ... that would be magic! :thumbsups

17. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I just create a note in the file itself with all the credits.. Not as fancy as Anna's tracker, but it works for me.. I love the idea of template designers naming their background layer, though.. :)

18. toriloowho

If you use Bridge and Photoshop, you can drag items in from Bridge to PS and it'll name the layer however the designer named it. Most have the kit name included in the file name, so it's pretty simple to do it that way (for me, at least). However, I do also keep a notebook nearby so I can jot things down as I go because sometimes it's simpler to look at my list than it is to scroll back through the layers of my page. ;)

19. toriloowho

That'd be awesome!!!

20. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

yes yes, that's the kit, thank you so much Kim!