Templates not opening well any longer...

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by vanessasmed, Mar 1, 2019.

1. vanessasmed

vanessasmed Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    not sure this is the area to post my question, but maybe I need to get new tidbits on how to get things functioning well again, so this seemed a good spot to ask?
    I'll start by saying I have a REALLLLLY old version of photoshop elements (2.0 version). I love it, know how to work with it, so I've not updated it (plus it's free - paid for a long time ago, haha).
    My issue: The past few templates I've tried opening PSD files for, haven't loaded - at all, or one loaded and saved EXTREMELY slowly. I think they are newer templates, but am not positive about the first trial listed below. Perhaps they are created differently, and so my old program doesn't take them well? I thought my PSE was maybe kicking the bucket, but then it easily opened another layout, that was older.

Trials:

Lynn Grieveson's "What we did template album" was the first one that gave troubles - it was the super slow loading/saving one. But it did work eventually.

Then, Sabrina's Creations "Week in Review #2 template" opened beautifully.

Yesterday I couldn't open Sahlin Studio's Feb '19 monthly challenge template PSD file. I COULD open the individual PNG files, but then I didn't know how to merge all opened files into one, so that didn't help me. I ended up just recreating the template myself.

I'm Currently trying to Open Rachel Jefferies Tiny Problems template, and it seems to be a no-go too. Can't recreate those gorgeous paints etc, so I'd love to get it going!

I had NO issues during MOC, thankfully.
    Anyone have any thoughts? It's a real downer.
    Tried to tag the designers here to see if they can advise on if they've changed anything on their end...not sure I tagged correctly though.

Thanks SO much!

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Have you tried opening the .tiff version of the files? Those are layered files of the PNGs combined in the correct order. PSD files save the Adobe settings, so tiff files may work for your older version of PSE. Also the templates that are loading slower may have a lot more layers in them than the ones that are loading beautifully and your older version of PSE may not be able to handle them.

Another thought is that the older version of PSE may not be able to handle the newer layer styles in the templates, so you may have to bring the individual PNG files into your layout in numerical order so they’re layered correctly for the template.

vanessasmed likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@LynnG @Rachel Jefferies
    Any ideas on using your templates that might help @vanessasmed ?

vanessasmed likes this.
  4. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Oh no what a shame! My template hasn't been created any differently to how I normally do them and I've saved them with the setting so that they are compatible with earlier versions of software.

With the PNG's I've never actually worked with them but the lower most numbered element is your top most layer on your canvas in Photoshop or Elements. The PNG's have been saved in such a way that the element is not trimmed which means that the template layer is in the exact position where it should be on your 12x12 inch canvas. You just need to drag each PNG file onto your canvas or copy and paste them. I did try bringing in all layers at once which wasn't helpful as Photoshop added the layers in the reverse order :eek:

Have you tried the TIF file and had any greater success as that format is supported by Elements?
    @vanessasmed @keepscrappin

vanessasmed likes this.
  5. vanessasmed

I believe I tried Tiff files yesterday, but I'll look into that and your other tips. Thanks :) I was having a hard time bringing the individual PNG files into my layout and having them drop in their perfectly correct spots. They just plopped into the middle and I had to move them around, so it was time consuming. Perhaps I need to look into that more too :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I checked too and I don't see that it is because of clipping masks or anything .. So sorry I cannot be of more help

vanessasmed likes this.
  7. vanessasmed

You've similar thoughts to keepscrappin'. See the reply I just sent her :) I'll keep trying. I think I need to shut down photoshop for now. It's been about 2 hours of trying to upload your template :S Later I'll try some of your tips.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You might want to try downloading a free trial of the latest PSE release and see how it opens the templates.

If you've tried for two hours, that's definitely a problem! You can get the latest PSE 2019 release for $100. I know that's a lot of money, but at the same time, your time is money and spending two hours trying to open a template gets expensive! I think, though, that you may be able to choose the upgrade version and save $20, so it would be $80? I don't know if they'll accept PSE2 as an upgrade though - you'll just have to check!

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/download-trial/try.html#

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  9. vanessasmed

Thanks for your thoughts :) Time is $$ you're right! I didn't know there was a free trial option.
    I've always held off, because I didn't want to have to make continual upgrades, as I thought that's what happened with PSE. Also, the learning curve. I don't mind learning, I just need the time to do the learning! haha. Any spare time is precious :)
    (I also was told I should try Affinity instead of PSE...would have to look into that too)

dins93 and gonewiththewind like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

When you "dragged and dropped" the PNGs onto a new canvas, did you hold the SHIFT key while you were draggin/dropping it onto the canvas? That will position the template layer in the same spot. (Well, I never used your version of PSE, so I say this with a little asterisk lol in case it doesn't work with your version. But it should, in theory lol!)

Ferdy likes this.
  11. vanessasmed

AMAZING TIP! Yes! It works!!! Thank you! Thank you! :)
    I just pulled up Rachel Jefferies template and it'll work out! Now, I need to go shopping first, haha.

keepscrappin, cfile and Tree City like this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yay, glad that worked for you! Have fun shopping and scrapping! :)

vanessasmed, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  13. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

once I had a similar problem, but mine is an old Photoshop.
    I did what Rachel and Sara explained, it worked fine with the PNGs.
    thank God it was just one time and I could use the template and still have my PS!
    I'm glad you found a solution!

14. LynnG

LynnG Designer

That sounds so frustrating! Like Rachel, I haven't changed anything with how I create templates. Glad you found a work around :-)

15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Well done Sara!!

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Glad to hear you can use the PNGs easily now - I can't imagine waiting 2hrs for a template to load!

vanessasmed likes this.
  17. dins93

dins93 New Member

There is a DEFINITE learning curve to PSE !! I upgraded a couple years a go from PSE 11 to PSE 15 - and command+G didn't work anymore - thankful for Christa File helping - anyway - do recommend the upgrade - but from 2 - OY expect a learning curve - the first and foremost that hasn't changed (thankfully) are LAYERS and the most important thing to understand - everything else is learning new keyboard shortcuts (and well, if you have actions and presets like that - that's a whole 'other ball of wax)
    also, if you are still using PSE 2 - i'm guessing your OS hasn't been upgraded (that's a whole other crazy place)
    Good luck :)