Technique Slow Scrap | Tuesday Sept 24 (Instructions)

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Karen, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hello everyone and welcome to my technique slow scrap! Today I want to focus on a couple simple tricks you can use to brighten up your photos and also adjust the color balance. These are both especially useful for photos taken indoors. Indoor photos often tend to have a yellowish cast due to incandescent light bulbs or just artificial lighting in general.

The following tricks are for those of you who don’t have Lightroom and just want some quick adjustments on the fly while you’re creating a layout. I use these tricks on 99% of my photos and I do them within my layered (.psd in Photoshop) file as just another step to creating my layout.

USING ADJUSTMENT LAYERS
    (disclaimer: this tutorial is for Photoshop, I use PS CS5, which is old, so some things might look slightly different)

>>> Start a new document in Photoshop just like you would for a normal layout. You can even complete your whole layout and THEN adjust your photo(s).

>>> Select your photo layer and then add a LEVEL Adjustment layer. You can find this at the bottom of your layers palette:

Adjustment Layers.jpg

>>> Click the half white/half black circle icon and select LEVELS:

Levels.jpg

>>> This will create an LEVELS Adjustment Layer above your photo layer. Next, clip the adjustment layer to your photo. (if you don’t, you’ll be lightening your whole layout and not just the photo).

>>> With LEVELS, the first thing to do is select the middle arrow and drag it slowly to the left. This will brighten your whole photo. I sometimes I also move the white triangle slightly to the left, but that can blow out your photo in a hurry, so be sure to make very small adjustments here. Sliding the Black triangle to the right will increase your shadows, so if you are trying to lighten your photo, you probably won’t need to move that one.

>>> Sometimes a LEVEL adjustment layer is all I need, but almost always I want to adjust the color balance a little bit too. To add a COLOR BALANCE Ajustment Layer, you find that in the same flyout panel as the Levels layer:

Color Balance.jpg

>>> If you are adjusting an indoor photo, I find that most of the time you want to increase the Blue and decrease the Red. I very rarely play with the Magenta/Green slider, but that’s just my preference. The best way to tell if your color balance is off is to look at the skin tone of the people in your photo OR find something that is supposed to be white in your photo and play with the sliders until the white actually looks white.

>>> One final adjustment layer that I will add occasionally to a REALLY dark photo is a BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST Ajustment Layer. Sometimes just a Levels layer alone won’t brighten my terrible photos enough, so I’ll stack a Brightness/Contrast layer on top and bump up the Brightness just a little bit more.

Brightness Contrast.jpg

Things to note:
    >>> You may stack adjustment layers on top of each other and clip them all to one photo.
    >>> You can use TWO Levels layers for a little extra boost.

SLOW SCRAP REQUIREMENTS:
    ONE - Create a layout with at least one photo that has been manipulated with at least one adjustment layer.
    TWO – Post your before and after layouts to show the difference the adjustment layers made.
    (And... if you don't have Photoshop... you may use ANY method you'd like to make your changes.)

Here are my before and after layouts. The first one is with my photos straight from my phone and the 2nd one is after I fiddled with them by adding adjustment layers. These photos weren’t great because they were taken indoors and at night! Yikes!

side by side.jpg
    2019-08-21 Wyatt iPhone_darker small.jpg
    [​IMG]

>>> Notice especially the skin tone in my son’s face!
    >>> Also what was I thinking buying my son bright orange sheets?!?!? Ha ha!

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due TOMORROW, September 25th at 10pm Eastern time. Please upload your layouts to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

(Other Misc Tips)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    KellyM, umyesh and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

To the top photo I applied levels and color balance adjustments. I just worked on color balance on the middle photo. And I used levels and brightness/contrast adjustment layers on the bottom photo.
    [​IMG]
    Below are my original photos.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 9.50.24 PM.png

Karen and umyesh like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Here are my two photos, which I edited before bringing into the page (it's much easier for me that way!):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And my page:
    [​IMG]

Karen, umyesh and cfile like this.
  4. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the good tips. I thought my before and after photos worked better on one layout. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Karen, umyesh and cookingmylife like this.
  5. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

6. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the slow scrap, Karen. I lightened my photo and played with the color and contrast. Here's my layout with the edited picture on it.

[​IMG]

Here's my layout with the unedited picture on it.

Heart-Full-of-Sunshine-After-The-Rain-Sketch-and-Collab-before-resized.jpg

8. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thanks for the tutorials! My phone is my only camera, that's why I love photoless pages!
    Anyway, here is the before. The two smaller photos were taken through the net of the trampoline, and they were really dark
    before.jpg

And here is the final page
    [​IMG]

9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Here's my Before:
    [​IMG]

and the After:
    [​IMG]

10. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge!
    I played with levels and contrast!
    [​IMG]

11. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Great Technique Challenge!...Since I Edited My Photo(s) Separately & Multiple Times...Here Is The Original Photo First...Really Dark & Pretty Blah!...:

Lilypad-Frog.jpg

*My Finished Layout:Wild At Heart:I Used The:Bloom & Grow-Collab-The Lilypad(Some Pieces ReColored)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Karen, KellyM and umyesh like this.
  12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Thank you for expanding my photo adjusting beyond just the HSL and contrast sliders.
    Before
    Before (Custom).jpg
    After
    [​IMG]

13. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

[​IMG]

before
    19-09_slow-scrap-technique_24-september-copy.jpg

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Sorry I missed most of the chat...

[​IMG]

And here is my original without the color balance and levels adjustments:

2019-09_September-TLP_Slow-Scrap_0925_original_web.jpg

15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm sorry I couldn't participate on the chat..I was sleeping! but I loved the technique, very useful!
    here's my previous photo:
    bourbon1x-copy.jpg

and the final version:
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  16. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I just played with this and I like your result more than my usual quick fix. So exciting! Thanks for teaching me some more tools to use! I think adjusting the brightness/contrast after I adjusted the level is what made it look better to me as it matches the color in another photo on my layout. I will post my page Friday. Thanks again!

Karen likes this.
  17. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Wonderful tips! I'm at work so I was able to play with a photo but not to scrap. I've used levels both not color balance and brightness contrast. I often use Screen on a second copy of a photo at 50% to lighten it. These are neater fixes. Thanks.

Karen likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Here's the original, probably taken by a former boyfriend. I used the levels when the small image was imported to PSE and then duplicated that image to use a technique I use a good bit. I make the Blending Mode Screen, then add a mask to remove any areas I don't want lightened. In lightening their faces, the strange quality of the image became stronger but ...the story is now told.
    liz lotus.jpg

[​IMG]

Karen and wvsandy like this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I LOVE seeing all of these fancied up photos!! I’ll be back later tonight to leave you all some love!!

Ferdy and umyesh like this.
  20. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Karen - thanks for the understandable instructions. I never really knew how to use the adjustment layers and since this is my first try, I'm still learning. The photo I used of the group was very dark (it's the top one) and made under florescent lighting. Yuck! But it is what it is so I could certainly see improvement on the middle one with this technique. Sorry I missed the chat.
    [​IMG]

Okay, and I had to add "lighten up" to the layout as a bit of humor!

Karen and wvsandy like this.