Technique Slow Scrap | Thursday June 25 @11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jun 25, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Using the blending options for more realistic layers

Hi...Thank you all so much for being patient with my delay...We were up in the mountains and I thought I'd have decent coverage, but alas...we did not.

So...here we are...a day late, but worth the wait =)

If you were to use a stamp on paper in real life, some of the ink is bound to soak into the paper, right? SO...how do we achieve that same look digitally? That is our lesson for today. ***As always, I'll need help with the steps in software other than Photoshop***

Blending stamps and text with background paper

In this example, I've added a stamp to a solid background paper. The background paper has a tiny bit of texture to show the point that it's the sort of paper that would absorb some of the ink. I duplicated the stamp to show the with and without blending.

[​IMG]

When you click on the fx icon at the bottom of the layers pallet, as you would add a style, the top most menu option is for blending options. Click on that and a new window will pop up.

[​IMG]

we are going to focus on the bottom gradient slider that says "Underlying Layer" and has 2 black triangles at the black end of the slider and 2 white triangles at the white end.

****Note: to separate the triangles, hold the alt key down and slide just the inner most triangle to change the amount of background paper that shows through****

When you have a dark colored stamp/text on a light colored paper...you will use the inner white triangle and slide it towards the middle until you can see some of the background paper showing through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you have a light stamp on a darker paper, you will move the inner black triangle towards the middle

[​IMG]

Here are some other examples of things you can blend using this technique:

FOR PAPERS (super amazing samples in here):
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/paper-blending-tutorial-summer-school-week-3.43805/

FOR PHOTOS
    https://the-lilypad.com/quick-tip-video-tutorial-photo-blending/

FOR FONTS
    https://the-lilypad.com/friends-dont-let-friends-fonts-float/

HERE ARE SOME LINKS FOR SOFTWARE OTHER THAN PS
    http://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/tips/fade-command/
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/need-some-basic-help.70862/#post-1235823

PSE Users: Here is info from Christa =)
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/friends-dont-let-friends-fonts-float.26663/page-2#post-397611

and here is the link to the style https://app.box.com/s/uh6r0mmgkx5pq0jgb2m4

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

I *MUST8 BE ABLE TO SEE A STAMP OR TEXT IN WHICH THE BACKGROUND PAPER IS SHOWING THROUGH*

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due FRIDAY, June 26, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Ferdy and cfile like this.
  2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Fun chat! Thanks @FarrahJobling ! I blended 2 papers, the title WA, & bird on the tag.
    [​IMG]

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Love it Farrah..I do this all the time :) I sent you a PM :) Sorry I missed the chat!

4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi Farrah, here is my contribution. I've used the "blend if" for the pink heart at the center top to make it look like it was below the string (which is on the background paper), on the "attention" sign on the right of the layout, on the "JUST GO" word art on the pocket of our subject. I also blended the map into the background paper, but that was thru Darken Mode. Thanks for the chat and fun technique. You reminded me that I need to use it more often. :-)

[​IMG]

michelepixels likes this.
  5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this technique that I did not know, I did on the title and a paper !

[​IMG]

6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you Farrah for another tutorial
    I used 'blend if' for the background papers, the pink hearts and the paintbrush

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

The birthday talk in the chat inspired my page.
    I blended a lot! The word art, "2010," the doodle border, the stamped stars, and my journaling.
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  8. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I chose to use blended text and I like the way it looked with this layout. Thanks, Farrah.
    [​IMG]

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sorry I couldn't attend the chat, but here's my page. Lots of blending that I detailed in the Gallery.

[​IMG]

10. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I couldn't find a good work around for PSE so I used the "snow" filter on the title (after creating it in it own document because the filter was applying itself to the entire page, not just the simplified title layer). If anyone finds a better way, let me know! It is a great look if I could get it to work better.

[​IMG]

11. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

12. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    cfile likes this.
  13. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tutorial. I blended everything that is black (except of the border, which is part of the paper).
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  14. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

15. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

A lot of the blending was part of the papers in this kit but I blended the title into a vertical duplicate of the gray paper which I had changed from color to B&W and used Multiply with a low opacity.

[​IMG]

17. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

I Guess I Didn't Really Get It!...I Blend Things All The Time...But I Couldn't Get This To Work In PSE!...I Had A Rough Day...I'm Preoccupied With Some Health Concerns Right Now...My Scrapping Is Suffering Too!...Thanks For The Fun Chat!...But I Guess I'll Have To Pass On The Challenge!...Thanks! Again Farrah!...

18. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Thanks Farrah,
    I blended the stamp #BEYOUTIFUL!

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  19. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Thanks Farrah for teaching me so well! I didn't even know there WERE blending options.:giggle
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Here is a style for use in PSE that has that blend in it... all you need to do is download from my drop box.. this blends for all with the slider...
    and here is the link to the style https://app.box.com/s/uh6r0mmgkx5pq0jgb2m4