Technique Slow Scrap | Saturday APR 25 @11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Apr 25, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Layer Styles 3 | Beyond the stroke and drop shadow

At a chat a couple of months ago, I asked what sort of techniques would you like to see. There was a huge excitement at the suggestion of Styles....so I am going to do a series of lessons on using layer styles, starting from the basics and moving each lesson to more challenging uses.

The first lesson: Layer Styles 1 | Introduction to layer style basics
    The second lesson: Layer Styles 2 | Separating and manipulating layer styles

So, this month, I want to introduce you to a few lesser used layer styles and discuss all the potential of using layer styles. What are some layer styles that you use? Do you buy them or create them? We have an excellent selection of easy to use layer styles available from our fabulous designers: LAYER STYLES IN THE STORE.

1. Inner Shadow
    The Inner Shadow effect is one of my favorite layer styles. It is similar to the Drop Shadow. In fact, it’s just the inverse in that it’s applied inside the object instead of the outside of it, which can give the appearance of being a cut-out shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bevel and Emboss
    The Bevel and Emboss is my other favorite. It gives an object a raised (Bevel) or depressed (Emboss) look, making things look 3D or shiny. This is great for making epoxy elements or "plastic/glass" text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Outer and Inner Glow
    These are popular styles, but I have to admit that I rarely use them. Glows are very similar to shadows in concept. Outer glows are often used to create subtle effects when an outer edge of an object needs a bit of a boost to get it to stand out from its background. Outer glows usually work best on dark backgrounds. Like the Drop Shadow versus Inner Shadow, the Inner Glow versus the Outer Glow is similar, they are just the inverse of each other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OTHERS
    Of course, there are a few other layer styles that can be used, but I never use them (or I do use them, unknowingly in one of the pre-made ones from the store). Pattern overlays are fun (adding a glittery overlay to a font).
    [​IMG]

5. Combining Styles

There are endless possibilities to the looks you can create when combining styles. It's fun to play around and try some new looks

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING A LAYER STYLE OTHER THAN DROP SHADOW OR STROKE.

*You MUST include a photo, text or element in which you use at least ONE of the LAYER STYLES other than Drop shadow or Stroke. You can use these as well, but you need to use another one too.*

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Sunday, APRIL 26, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    umyesh likes this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@FarrahJobling I meant to ask you this in the chat, but I was a bit late in asking and you had just signed out.
    Can we use the blog hop Morning Ritual items for our layout???

3. FarrahJobling

Absolutely!

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

just downloaded one of NBK Designs's free colour swatch and styles packs to see if they will import into Affinity - nope didn't work. If you have Photoshop you might want to check her freebies out.

Lisa B likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Angela - where can I find the NBK free styles? Are you talking about the ones in the free products section of the store? https://the-lilypad.com/store/Free-Products/

6. Angela Toucan

go to her store, then click on Free Products.
    Annotation 2020-04-25 172350.jpg

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Angela Toucan likes this.
  8. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Thanks for the chat!
    [​IMG]

Dady likes this.
  9. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the chat and scrap. I used an outer glow on the ribbon and a bevel on the border and title.
    [​IMG]

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Besides drop shadows I also used outer glows on paper pieces (including the scatter) and the button and I changed the template drop shadows on the pie slices to inner shadows to achieve the cutout look. I cut out the PIZZA title with the horizontal type mask tool and applied drop shadow and outer glow to the tag. I also used the method Cheryl has taught us to make the journal paper look curling up at the corners and closer to the paper where it's pinned down.

[​IMG]

Donitab and Angela Toucan like this.
  11. FarrahJobling

bummer that it didn't work...thanks for the reminder that there are some freebies out there =)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  12. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

13. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

14. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Now may be the time to experiment with styles in Affinity. It’s one of the things I miss about photoshop. I had so many amazing styles from the shop that were just one click and done. I haven’t found a way to be able to use them in Affinity yet.

15. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

16. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

17. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I used Mommyish Designs - Treasured Wood style and Style 48 (gel) as well as a natural style from PS CC, an outer glow and a bevel and emboss.

[​IMG]

18. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I used Inner Shadow, Bevel and Emboss, drop shadow

[​IMG]

19. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I played with bevel and glow on the word wildflower. Lots of fun, but I need more practice on styles.

[​IMG]

20. Angela Toucan

Done with the Affinity Suite I'm trialling
    [​IMG]
    thanks for the chat and challenge Farrah.

Nemla likes this.