Technique Slow Scrap | Monday Sep 21 @11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Sep 21, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

CREATING A POP-ART- ANDY WARHOL LOOK

Hi...thanks for joining me today. Today we are creating a pop-art-Andy Warhol look. The most difficult part of this technique is finding a photo. Photos with simple backgrounds work the best.

1. Open your chosen image in Photoshop. Use the quick selection tool to select your focal point. Ctrl +C to Copy then Shift+Ctrl+V to paste in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Convert the image to black and white. Go to Image > Adjustments > Black and White. Adjust the levels to make sure you have a good amount of contrast. **NOTE- I don't want to keep the background for this image, but if you do want to keep the background, you will also need to convert it to Black and White***

You can also go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Black and White. If you do this, as I have done, just make sure you merge the BW adjustment to it's layer.

[​IMG]

3. Add a threshold adjustment layer Go to Image > Adjustments > Threshold. Adjust the Threshold Level according to your own image needs and click OK. The idea here is to really separate the highlights from the shadows. You'll want your highlights WHITE and your shadows BLACK...and not much in the way of gray.

[​IMG]

4. Next, we want separate layers for the whites and the blacks so we can clip different colors to each. Making sure you are on the Threshold layer, go to Select > Color Range.

[​IMG]

Click on the white area on your photo to select only the whites. Click OK and you will see the marching ants around just the whites, then go to Edit > Copy and then to Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place (Ctrl +C to Copy then Shift+Ctrl+V).

[​IMG]

5. Again, making sure you are back on the Threshold layer, go to Select > Color Range. Click on the black area on your photo to select only the blacks. Click OK and you will see the marching ants around just the blacks, then go to Edit > Copy and then to Edit > Paste Special > Paste in Place (Ctrl +C to Copy then Shift+Ctrl+V).

[​IMG]

6. Add solid colors to each of the layers. Go to Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color. **NOTE- Make sure you clip the color to the desired layer.

[​IMG]

7. **OPTIONAL** Change the solid colors as many times as you'd like =)

[​IMG]

The possibilities are endless =)

**NOTE- Tutorials for those not using PSCC:
    Affinity(Thanks Angela)

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due TUESDAY, Sep 22, 2020 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Here is my LO:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    flowersgal, umyesh, norton94 and 3 others like this.
  2. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

Trying to do it on PSE. I got to the threshold layer but can't create a black and a white layer. Anybody know how?

3. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

You should convert to B&W before the threshold step. I think PSE merges for you, so you won't see a separate layer

4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Fun! Didn't we do something like this last MOC but with a different method? Thanks Farrah! I've got the dates on my calendar for LEAP next month. Great idea!
    p.s. I'm working on a new computer and having to set up my PSCC workspace and finding some strange things. Like the custom shape tool disappeared. I use it a lot, like to make the boxes to which I clipped my photos in this layout. Luckily a google search helped me get it back. It's hiding along with some other tools I guess they deem old and unwanted under 3 little dots at the bottom of the tool bar. But I don't understand why this happened unless PSCC hadn't been updating anymore on my old 2011 iMac.
    Well, I'll get it working the way I like soon. Already got the panels important to me set up. Haven't reinstalled the shadows I used to use, but that's okay, I made and saved my own!
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the tutorial Farrah ...

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for he chat and encouraging us to use this technique. TJ is really happy with this page.
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  8. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the fun technique! I've used similar actions, and the Threshold b/w effect, but didn't know how to color the layers! Thank you for teaching me something new today.

[​IMG]
    I used a tomato paste can that's pretty iconic in my country; I think it's Campbell's a la greca. I have it on my desk and use it as pencil holder; people also upcycle it as a flower pot, a napkin holder in restaurants etc.
    I photographed and extracted it myself; then I realized I could find it online. Oh well...

flowersgal likes this.
  9. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks for the instructions. I enjoyed experimenting with this fun technique. More pop art in the future.

[​IMG]

cinderella likes this.
  10. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Sorry I missed the chat Farrah. Thanks for this fun technique! I could play with it all day :)
    [​IMG]

cinderella likes this.
  11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Sorry I couldn't make the chat. But here is my contribution.

[​IMG]

Cherylndesigns and cinderella like this.
  12. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Thanks for the fun challenge:
    [​IMG]

13. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the chat and TUT. Had to work around in PSE.
    [​IMG]

14. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

15. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I could get the technique to work in PSE....I improvised. :)

[​IMG]

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

You give such great instructions Farrah, thank you! I could use some more practice and will definitely do that.
    [​IMG]

17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you for the scrap and the instructions. I will play with this an other day. PSE does not have the same sensitivity as PS I think, The sliders are harder to adjust. ( I miss my old cranky PS at times like this ) but I still enjoyed it, it was fun.
    [​IMG]

18. Sharon-Dewi

Sharon-Dewi Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the great instructions! I loved learning this new technique!
    Here is my layout:

[​IMG]

19. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member

Thank you Farrah!
    [​IMG]