Technique Slow Scrap | Monday Dec 2 @ 11am EST/8am PST INSTRUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Dec 2, 2019.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Today's technique scrap is based on a photo effect you may have seen is where a photo is converted to black and white, except for one object in the photo which is made to stand out by keeping it in color. You can use this technique to highlight one part of a busy scene or for any number of artistic looks to make a point. You may want to narrow down the color scheme or you may just want to put emphasis on a good part of a bad photo.

The latter is my plan for today.

Step 1: Select a photo
    Open your photo.

***I took this photo back in 2010 when we were in England. I wasn't a great photographer and the photo is meh. However...I really love the iconic value of Nicholas in a quintessential London phone booth. The red mailbox in the foreground was a bad choice composition wise, but if I use selective coloring, I can highlight just the phone booth.***
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Convert to Black and White

Create an adjustment layer and add a Black and White layer...this will create a de-saturated layer with a mask over your original photo. It is important to do this as a non-destructive step, in that the Black and White is on it's own layer and hasn't changed the underlying color version. We'll still need the color version for the selective color. There are other ways to create non-destructive Black and White layers and still be able to tweak the blacks and whites (with more contrast or for a more matte finish), so if you have a favorite, go for it....the important aspect is the Black and White conversion on a separate layer with a photo mask.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Selective Color
    Mask back the areas of color that you want to show in color. I used the quick selection tool and selected the phone booth. You may need to go in for a finer brush if the background is busy. I didn't worry too much about it since in the final LO, it will blend in.

[​IMG]

***here is a link for PSE users: https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-an-Ima...r-One-Color-(Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-5.0)***

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

*You MUST have a photo in which part of the photo is in BLACK & WHITE and part of the photo is in COLOR.
    **Add anything additional to your LO to make it one you LOVE!

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 1pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Here is my final Layout:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    bellbird, cfile and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

cfile and FarrahJobling like this.
  4. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Here is mine

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the technique challenge
    [​IMG]

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

8. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

9. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tutorial!
    [​IMG]

10. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Thank you for the new (for me) technique. BTW extra thanks for including PSE link - it really helped.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  11. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Fun technique!

[​IMG]

flowersgal and wvsandy like this.
  12. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Had fun with this one Farrah. I thought I might have forgotten how to do this but when I started it all came back to me. Loved this photo for this technique and I'm sure the photo would have showed off the technique better on a more neutral page. But who can resist creating a neighborhood for this sweet guy? Not me! So here it is:
    [​IMG]

kimingvtx and wvsandy like this.
  13. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm sorry I couldn't attend the chat...but I loved the technique, always good to learn new things! as my PS is too old, I used the link for the PSE and it worked for me too!

here's my page, thnk you so much, Farrah!
    [​IMG]

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I wasn't able to attend... Sorry. At the last minute, DH wanted us to run some errands. But I did manage to get a nice lunch out of it as well. Your instructions were great. Here is my contribution:

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  15. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the great TUT and Challenge!
    [​IMG]

flowersgal and wvsandy like this.
  16. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

What A Wonderful Challenge!...Rachel's December MM Challenge Is All About A Pop Of Color...And This One Is Similar...I Love B&W & Adding Pops Of Color...I Went Bright & Bold With This One...I Started Playing With Colors & I Was Inspired To Create The Following Layout...I Love Big,Bright,Bold Colors...And I Think This One Conveys My Scrapping Personality Pretty Much To A T...Thank You! Again For The Wonderful Technique Challenge!...

*For My Live A Life Filled With Color Layout-I Used:

*Utterly & Completely-Bundle-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i played too, red selective is good for this time of year, & i used your bokeh idea from the DYD photograpy thread (i strung lights & a few pearlescent xmas baubles kinda in and off our venetian blinds for some photos and i used some of NBK's magic lights to amp up that effect here - thanks for the challenge and tips!
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here is mine! My third layout in PSCC. I could not follow your instructions when I got to the mask part (I never did a whole lot with them in PSE). BUT - I used the Select and Mask feature after watching a help video. I am in love. :heartslub Best tool ever.

[​IMG]

flowersgal, wvsandy and AJK like this.
  19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

This was fun! I selected and desaturated the background of the large photo clip.
    [​IMG]

20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Did you go see the movie?