Tablet Talk

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by meganmecrazy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I know nothing about tablets. But that's the one thing my kids want this year for Christmas. UGH! :shakehead I don't even know where to start looking. My son was asking for the Meep (from toys r us) but others said don't bother with that junk. It's overwhelming when I even start to look with how many options there are. :dizzy So I was wondering who here has a tablet and either loves it or hates it. I need to at least narrow the brands down. I know Kindles and Nooks seem to be popular brands and I think I have heard people mention Samsung Galaxys?? Since it would be for the kids they are mainly going to want to play the apps (like angry birds), read some books, and probably listen to music and watch videos. Do tablets do all of those things? Is there anything educational on them? :giggle I'm so lost! Then my mom said that with Kindle you can't even keep the items you buy for it...you only get it for so many hours or something??? If anyone has any help for me I'd appreciate it! THANKS BUNCHES!!! :heartlub

2. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Well, the only one I have experience with is the Kindle Fire, and I love it. My daughter has one too. It has tons of educational apps, but mostly she downloads books to read on it, and listens to music. You can also DL movies. It is a great purchase IMO.

3. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

We have ipads here and we LOVE them. My husband and I both have one but our oldest 3 play them a lot. There are tons of educational things for them. Some of our favorites are the interactive books from Loud Crow. My son has also learned his multiplication tables this year from interactive games and such on the ipad. My 4 year old is learning her ABC's and how to write them and what sounds they make from a Dora app we have that was one of the free apps of the week from Starbucks, and my kids attend a private christian school where they have to learn bible verses each week and they have an app that helps them do that. My oldest daughter has been saving for a new ipod but they just debuted the ipad mini and it's like $30 more than the ipod so that is what she is getting for her birthday this year. I went and checked them out at our local apple store the other day and they are really cool. I actually like the size of them better than mine so I am going to sell one of my lenses to fund it lol.

I really can't say enough good things about them. They have held up so well. My husband has the 2nd generation but I am still working on the very first ones they made and it has lasted through 3 kids that are not the easiest on stuff. I even dropped my husbands about a month ago, face down on the concrete garage floor I might add, and it just cracked the screen a little in the bottom corner. I think it's only going to cost about $50 to repair the screen so that's good.

I love that we can have our music, games, and movies(tv shows) all right in one place

4. charmedeebob

charmedeebob Heather's Team

We just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas for our oldest, I hope she takes care of it, ugh! My DH and I have iPads and I'm tired of the 3 kids fighting over them, so I hope this helps to have 3 tablets! We adore our iPads, but they are very spendy, so I hope she loves her Kindle as a cheaper option. Friends have the Kindle and their kids all love it!

5. meganmecrazy

Thanks!! I won't be able to afford the iPad but maybe one day if and when I get a tablet for myself I would try the iPad. Let me know how she likes the Kindle! :)

Kelley when you say download movies...how does that work? Do you have to have the internet access as you watch? We have netflix so I wonder if we could use that on the tablets. But the kids can't watch movies while we are driving in the car right? Because there would be no internet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

I dont know if you are familiar with 1saleaday.com, but they actually have a Nook Tablet on sale today for $119.99 (ends at midnight eastern). I've heard Kindle and Nook are very similar, but I don't have any tablet or ereader experience myself..good luck!

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have an iPad and everyone loves it. It's amazing how much stuff you can do with that thing! Movie (we use Netflix), music, games, reading, educational stuff etc. My Nephew just bought a Nexus tablet which is $199 and runs on Android. You can do all the same things on that as your can on an iPad and it's more affordable. It's the smaller size too like the iPad mini. My boys just saved up and bought themselves iPod Touches which is an iPhone without the phone and can do all the same stuff as my Ipad, it's just more portable. They have been loving those and I've actually been able to use my own iPad again for a change! Ha ha!

The Nooks and Kindle Fires are also great tablets and can do all the same stuff, just yet another "app" store to shop from. I'd say just pick a platform (Nook, Kindle, Android or Apple) and pick one. You really can't go wrong these days.

8. meganmecrazy

Thanks Karen! :) I think that's what I will do! lol And thanks Kendra! I have never heard of that website before but now I will have to keep checking the deals they have!!!

9. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

it'll become an addiction! lol make sure, whichever tablet you buy, to download the 'photoshop touch' app to inspire your kids to follow in your footsteps ;)

10. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I have a Kindle Fire and L.O.V.E. it!! It goes everywhere with me!! It is app based, and access to books is super easy. Love love love and would buy it a million times over.

11. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire and they are far more reasonably priced than the iPad. I was impressed with how easy to use they are. Most everyone I've talked to that has one loves it. I have an iPhone and iPad so I wasn't expecting to like the Kindle as much as I did when I tried it out. My mom wanted one so we were trying them out. She still didn't make a choice yet! And she sees me use the ipad all the time so I think she may go with that.

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

We have an iPad and a Kindle Fire. For the money, I think the Kindle Fire is a great option.

13. Jennifer Fica

Jennifer Fica Member

14. lynning

lynning Makes wishes come true

My 9 year old has a Kindle Touch (digital ink) no fancy color or HD graphics. She cannot listen to music on it.

Hubby & I have iPads - spendy... definitely.

We bought our teenage son an "off brand" (not Apple, not Samsung, not anything we had ever heard of before) from Geeks.Com. It's android based - so we'll see. He gets it Christmas morning. :) A friend of ours has the same one for her teenage boys and they like it. It has all of the usual apps - Angry Birds, Facebook, etc. Oh... it was less that $100.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  15. meganmecrazy

Thanks so much everyone! :) One more question about Kindle Fire...old model or the new HD? lol Don't really know if there is a big difference in the two but I read that the HD gives you constant advertisements as your background all the time.