Switching from Mouse to Pen

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Angela Toucan, May 4, 2022.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I'm getting hand pains that have been attributed to the way I'm using a computer mouse.
    So I'm having to switch to using the pen tablet instead starting this morning. I normally only use it to draw with, and interact with Windows with the normal mouse. Re-learning how I use the computer is slowing me down. It's much more tricky that I thought it would be. Not only more tricky for the hand eye co-ordination, but also a whole different way of thinking.
    DSC04517 (Small).JPG
    I also need to rearrange my workspace to accommodate it better.
    (p.s. I can't use the built in touch plate on my laptop)

Anyone else use a pen tablet to navigate windows with? I still haven't worked out how to place my cursor on a word on the screen and right click it to spell check. Probably going to find more things I rely on switching from keyboard to mouse for as the days go by ...

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    bestcee likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I tried a wacom tablet out of curiosity MANY years ago and gave up shortly afterwards. I remember reading at the time other people who were trying to switch to a tablet and they said they had to put their mouse away completely or they'd keep reverting back to it. I didn't put my mouse away and definitely reverted back to it quickly. So, long story short, I'm no help at all. Sorry you're having hand pains though. I hope you can find a layout that works well for you. I wonder if there are any YouTube videos about the best ways to set things up both on your desk top and with the buttons for the best work flow.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've tried using pens/tablets over the years and have always had trouble with the non-graphic use of them. One of the earliest I bought actually had a mouse with it!

I did buy a new one last fall but with all the computer issues I didn't get a chance to really use it. I haven't installed the software and drivers on this computer yet. My whole reason for buying it though was to do certain things in PSP that are harder with a mouse. I definitely was not going to use it for anything else.

Would a different style of mouse help your hand issues?

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I tried many years ago when I won a Wacom tablet in a contest . . . I quickly gave it up. Sorry I'm no help!

I do hope this helps with your hand issues. Sending ((HUGS))

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've never used a pen or tablet -- I have an iMac and use the Magic Trackpad, which is so awesome; such a different way of motion than using a mouse -- but I wanted to wish you well soon! :love

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Many years ago I learned to use a tablet for similar reasons. I am on my 3rd tablet now I think. I've always had Wacom tablets with a programmable rocker switch on the side of the pen. I have the bottom half of the switch set to right-click. (It is such a natural movement for me now that I actually had to do it and pay attention to what I was doing to remember how it was set up. LOL) I have the top half set to double-click, but I rarely use it, since I find a double-tap easier to do.

My situation is a bit unusual in that I am left-handed but learned to use a mouse right-handed. So now I switch back and forth between the tablet, which sits to the left of my keyboard, and an Evoluent vertical mouse, which lives to the right of my keyboard. Using the tablet is more comfortable for me in general, but occasionally I find something I need to do that is just easier with the mouse, so it's handy to be able to switch back and forth. The vertical mouse took some getting used to as well, but it is much easier on my hand than a traditional mouse. :)

I don't know that I have any specific suggestions on adapting to the tablet since it was so long ago that I really don't remember exactly how I transitioned. I hope you get the hang of it soon! :)

7. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

8. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Kissed the frog!

9. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I have done it. It was a while back though. Once my husband started buying me touch screens, I've used the actual tablet less... I will say that the thing that got me most used to the pen, as weird as this is, was playing games with things you had to shoot quickly with the pen. (Like Zumba) It helped me get used to how the pen interacted with the screen. Depending on the pen you have, it may have a button on the side that is your mouse click, some only click once but mine clicked up and down, so for me down was left and up was right. So, it's a little tricky to highlight and then click, but if you can figure out the motion to use, you can practice it...

These days, I have a lenova flex 5, which I like because it has a track pad, touch screen, and a pen that works directly on the screen, so I have the best of all the worlds!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

How's the switch going?

[​IMG]

11. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart

Karen likes this.
  12. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Currently use a trackpad on a MacBook Pro - its awesome! But many, many moons ago I used a Wacom Intuos. The Intuos had buttons down the side that could be programmed for functions like right click, left click, double click etc. Thus, it was easy to replace a mouse. Just press the button.

13. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

14. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart

15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have tried it as well and gave up.. I really have a hard time with a pen instead of the mouse.

Good luck Angela!