Suggestions for May-August 2018

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Let's start our next batch of book club selections by asking for recommendations.
    Let's keep it to one suggestion per person for now because when I do the poll I can only have 10 choices...

I will keep this thread open until the 15th of April or until we get 10 recommendations to vote on. Sound good?

So... what should we read together for the next 4 months of 2018?

Suggestions so far:

1. 11/22/63 by Stephen King
    2. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
    3. Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica
    4. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
    5. The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman
    6. Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke
    7. My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni
    8. The Life She Was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman
    9. A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn
    10. Where'd You go Bernadette? by Maria Semple

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    londoncuppa and bellbird like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm currently reading (listening actually) to my first (and probably only) Stephen King novel. 11.22.63 Recently, to cut costs, I canceled my Audible membership. Then a couple of weeks later they offered me a free trial and then a week after that they offered me another free credit! So I've gotten two free books this month! The first one was Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett which is funny but I'm not following it as well and when I got 11.22.63 , Good Omens got put on hold. 11.22.63 is much more of a page-turner! (Hmm, what is the analogous phrase when listening to an audiobook? LOL) I used to think I'd never read a Stephen King novel because I don't like horror, but in the last year or so, I've learned about him as a person and a writer that intrigued me. And, 11.22.63 is not really about JFK's assassination, but about time travel. And, more than half way through the (very long) book, I've only come upon a couple short horribly gruesome scenes. If it were a movie, I'd only have to close my eyes for a couple of minutes total probably.

Anyway, I would be happy to re-read either of these and discuss them, so those are my two nominations.

Oh! I just thought of another. I'm also reading (actually reading! on Kindle for iPhone) Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (on which the Netflix series is based). I'm only in the first book of the series, though I have the others waiting.

3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just got the newest Kristin Hannah book for Valentine's Day- The Great Alone- I can't wait to finish my current book to start reading that one!

Hmm... a few others on my hold list at the library:

The immortalists by Chloe Benjamin
    The woman in the window by AJ Finn

londoncuppa likes this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This one looks good to me and is on my to-read list.
    [​IMG]

londoncuppa likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oops, sorry I didn't read carefully before I posted the first time. I was feeling chatty. :wub My one official nomination is 11.22.63 .

londoncuppa and Karen like this.
  6. Karen

Great books suggestions so far! No worries about the extra books Michele, I just can only put 10 books in the poll, so I like to give everyone a chance to make suggestions. If we get towards the end of the month and need more, I'll add your extra! :) by the way, I LOVED 11/22/63. I never read Stephen King before that, but at the time people kept telling me this was not his usual book and that it was SO good, so I gave it a shot and loved it! I will probably even read it again if it gets picked. :) @michelepixels

michelepixels likes this.
  7. Karen

busywoman139 and londoncuppa like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'll throw in Alice Hoffman's The museum of extraordinary Things _ blurb reminds me of Night Circus & The Greatest showman movie & sounds a bit historic fiction too ( & I admit I bought it for the cover) (sorry on phone so can't link easily)

9. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

10. Karen

Nope, not yet! I added it to the list. Sounds good!

11. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Another one I couldn't put down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is my pick:
    [​IMG]
    While investigating the hit-and-run death of a young boy, Seattle homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite makes a startling discovery: the suspect is an active-duty serviceman at a local naval base. After a key piece of case evidence goes missing, he is cleared of charges in a military court. But Tracy knows she can’t turn her back on this kind of injustice.

When she uncovers the driver’s ties to a rash of recent heroin overdoses in the city, she realizes that this isn’t just a case of the military protecting its own. It runs much deeper than that, and the accused wasn’t acting alone. For Tracy, it’s all hitting very close to home.

As Tracy moves closer to uncovering the truth behind this insidious conspiracy, she’s putting herself in harm’s way. And the only people she can rely on to make it out alive might be those she can no longer trust.

Here are two others that look good too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Karen

I have this on my to read list also... :)

jk703 likes this.
  14. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

Im reading this now and love it!

[​IMG]
    On a summer evening in 1931, Lilly Blackwood glimpses circus lights from the grimy window of her attic bedroom. Lilly isn't allowed to explore the meadows around Blackwood Manor. She's never even ventured beyond her narrow room. Momma insists it's for Lilly's own protection, that people would be afraid if they saw her. But on this unforgettable night, Lilly is taken outside for the first time--and sold to the circus sideshow.

More than two decades later, nineteen-year-old Julia Blackwood has inherited her parents' estate and horse farm. For Julia, home was an unhappy place full of strict rules and forbidden rooms, and she hopes that returning might erase those painful memories. Instead, she becomes immersed in a mystery involving a hidden attic room and photos of circus scenes featuring a striking young girl.

At first, The Barlow Brothers' Circus is just another prison for Lilly. But in this rag-tag, sometimes brutal world, Lilly discovers strength, friendship, and a rare affinity for animals. Soon, thanks to elephants Pepper and JoJo and their handler, Cole, Lilly is no longer a sideshow spectacle but the circus's biggest attraction. . .until tragedy and cruelty collide. It will fall to Julia to learn the truth about Lilly's fate and her family's shocking betrayal, and find a way to make Blackwood Manor into a place of healing at last.

Moving between Julia and Lilly's stories, Ellen Marie Wiseman portrays two extraordinary, very different women in a novel that, while tender and heartbreaking, offers moments of joy and indomitable hope.

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We had to make a quick trip to Utah Sunday night, and back on Tuesday. We listened to both of these on the way up! And I'm dying to finish 11.22.63! Good Omens made me giggle.

londoncuppa, Karen and michelepixels like this.
  16. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

I picked the second one Margaret just because it was rated a little higher on Goodreads. :) Thanks for the suggestions! :)

18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

That works for me. Thanks, Karen!

Karen likes this.
  19. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have just finished "Where'd You go Bernadette?" by Maria Semple. It is due to be released as a movie next year. I really liked the story, had some trouble with the actual characters but was a fun read. Could be worth looking at...

I haven't read any of the others on the list yet, so adding to my TBR pile

bellbird and Karen like this.
  20. Karen