Suggestions for July - Oct 2020

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Whoops! I'm a little behind my usual schedule, but these last few months were such a blur, I didn't even realize we were coming to the end of another round of books!

So... our little informal book club here at the pad is open to anyone and everyone who likes to read. For this thread we are looking for suggestions for what to read together over the next four months. Everyone can suggest one book for now because when I do the voting poll, I can only have 10 selections in the poll. I will leave this thread open until June 23rd or until we get 10 suggestions. Then I will open up a voting poll.

Once we vote, I'll start a new thread for each of the four top books... one per month, for the next four months. You can see lots of our old picks in Reading Pad HERE. You can read the books in any order and at any time. If you want to chat about the books, just reply to that thread. Easy peasy! :agree

So.... what should we read together next?

1. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
    2. The River by Peter Heller
    3. Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster
    4. The Flat Share by Beth O'Leary
    5. Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson
    6. So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
    7. Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer
    8. 28 Summers by Elin Hildebrand
    9. The Guest List by Lucy Foley

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    bellbird likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have a suggestion for once! :D I've just read it a few weeks ago, but it's part of a series and I just started the second book today. I would love to talk about it with others. It's a wonderful story that explores what other species in the universe could be like and how it would be to interact. There's a little adventure and technical stuff too. I'm picky about science fiction (some bore me) but I loved this.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
    (Wayfarers #1)
    by
    Becky Chambers
    [​IMG]

bellbird and Karen like this.
  3. Karen

I'd like to throw this one out there because I just started reading it and it came highly recommended by a friend:

The River by Peter Heller
    [​IMG]

bellbird, katell and michelepixels like this.
  4. Karen

Yours sounds interesting @michelepixels ! And it's been awhile since I've found a good sci-fi series, so this intrigues me. :agree

bellbird and michelepixels like this.
  5. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

I read 2 books by Peter Heller that I really liked, he's really a good writer!

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

Oh Yay! I'm so happy to hear that. I'm not very far into The River yet, but so far I'm liking it.

bellbird likes this.
  7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

This is supposed to be a funny book. And heaven knows, we need some fun this month.

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer
    by
    Jen Lancaster
    2202049.jpg

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i went looking for a lighter book as well - i reserved this and will read it sometime in July ( although i haven't come across this author before and being called the new JoJo Moyes doesn't neccesarily make me think it's the Sophie Kinsella-esque light i had in mind)
    [​IMG]
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36478784-the-flatshare

(not sure if this book will be harder to find in the US? i figure it's set in the UK from the author bio in goodreads -> does Flat = Apartment/Unit in the US or are they all condo's? )

A-M and Karen like this.
  9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Both libraries that I borrow my ebooks from have a wait list for this book.

A flat could be an apartment. Most apartments in the US are rentals. Most condos are purchased.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that sounds promising, better than some of the books i've suggested in the past at least!
    what an interesting distinction - i think unit, flat and apartment are interchangeable here

Karen likes this.
  11. Karen

I'm totally interested in your pick Justine! I love Sophie Kinsella books and this one looks fun! It's also available at my online library, so I put it on hold just in case it gets picked. :agree But full disclosure I'm probably going to read it anyway. :giggle

SeattleSheri and bellbird like this.
  12. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't have any suggestions right now, but I looked up these four at my library... The River and Such a Pretty Fat are available for immediate download at my library. The Long Way... has a decently long wait time. And the Flat Share is only available as a physical book. I'm good for any of them, tbh. I don't mind buying copies of the books, just might need some lead time to get them.

13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have felt bad about giving a rec because I haven't been around lately, but I read this in a day (mostly because I stayed up REALLY late reading lol and it isn't super long): Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson
    [​IMG]

14. Karen

What an interesting synopsis on this one. Lol! I'm intrigued and my library has it!

Tree City likes this.
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

This book comes highly recommended and is very relevant (at least in the US). Rated 4.55 stars and I have several friends who have read or are currently reading it.
    So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
    [​IMG]

michelepixels, djp332 and Karen like this.
  16. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am really enjoying having re-established my love of reading which is especially happening because of one of my volunteer work not happening ( Aged Care).
    Depending what book is chosen will determine whether I purchase it for my Kindle or not. I have found that the thriller type books are not so good me these days as I end up thinking about them at night when trying to go to sleep.

I do not think this one is a thriller and it is by an Australian author:
    [​IMG]
    Your sister needs you. But her child needs you more... A moving page-turner with a heart-pounding dilemma: Your sister or her baby. Who do you choose? Fans of Jodi Picoult and Jojo Moyes will love Australia's Kelly Rimmer.As children, Lexie and Annie were incredibly close. Bonded by the death of their beloved father, they weathered the storms of life together. When Lexie leaves home to follow her dream, Annie is forced to turn to her leather-bound journal as the only place she can confide her deepest secrets and fears... As adults, sisters Lexie and Annie could not be more different. Lexie is a successful doctor and happily engaged. Annie is an addict - a thief, a liar and unable to remain clean. When Annie's newborn baby is in danger of being placed in foster care, Annie picks up the phone to beg her sister for help. Will Lexie agree to take in her young niece? And how will Annie survive, losing the only thing in her life worth living for?What do you do when your sister, an addict, tells you she's pregnant and needs your help? BEFORE I LET YOU GO is the stunning new novel from Kelly Rimmer, internationally bestselling Australian author of THE SECRET DAUGHTER, ME WITHOUT YOU, WHEN I LOST YOU and A MOTHER'S CONFESSION.'Get ready for fireworks in your book club when you read Kelly Rimmer's Before I Let You Go! One of the best books for discussion that I've read in years.' DIANE CHAMBERLAIN, New York Times bestselling author 'A heartbreaking story about families and how far they will go to save the ones they love. Kelly Rimmer's characters are captivating' DAILY TELEGRAPH'Bestselling Australian author, Kelly Rimmer, serves up a heart-pounding dilemma' MARIE CLAIRE

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

We have some great suggestions here! One more day to get your suggestions in and then I'll open up a voting poll! Thanks for the great picks so far everyone! :agree

18. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Karen likes this.
  19. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I just added this one to my "to read" list

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  20. Karen