Suggestions Apr - Aug 2023

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Holy smokes! We've already almost torn through the last batch of books already and it's time for another round a suggestions! We sure had some good ones in the last group of books too! Yay!

We have a fun informal book club here at The Lilypad and it's open to anyone and everyone who likes to read! :clap For this thread we are looking for suggestions for what to read together over the next four months. Everyone can suggest one book for now because when I do the voting poll, I can only have 10 selections in the poll. I will leave this thread open until March 1st or until we get 10 suggestions. Then I will open up a voting poll.

Once we vote, I'll start a new thread for each of the four top books... one per month, for the next four months starting in April. You can see the complete list of our old picks in our Master Reading List. You can read the books in any order and at any time. If you want to chat about the books, just reply to that thread. Easy peasy! :agree

So.... what should we read together next?

1. Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton (note: some foul language)
    2. Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan
    3. Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    4. Lesson in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
    5. Someone Else's Shoes by Jojo Moyes
    6. Just the Nicest Couple by Mary Kubica
    7. Simply Lies by David Baldacci
    8. The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. King
    9. Just Got Real by Jane Fallon
    10. Poster Girl by Veronica Roth

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Laura ODonnell likes this.
  2. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

plumdumpling and Karen like this.
  3. Karen

I love quirky books! Super cool cover too! :agree I'll add it to the list!

4. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Just a warning there's some foul language too, so that's what should be noted I guess...I didn't mind it but that's why it's not for everyone probably. But quirky it is!

5. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan

[​IMG]

Nora Hamilton knows the formula for love better than anyone. As a romance channel screenwriter, it's her job. But when her too-good-to work husband leaves her and their two kids, Nora turns her marriage's collapse into cash and writes the best script of her life. No one is more surprised than her when it's picked up for the big screen and set to film on location at her 100-year-old-home. When former Sexiest Man Alive, Leo Vance, is cast as her ne'er do well husband Nora's life will never be the same.

Filled with warmth, wit, and wisdom, Nora Goes Off Script is the best kind of love story--the real kind where love is complicated by work, kids, and the emotional baggage that comes with life. For Nora and Leo, this kind of love is bigger than the big screen.

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

Doesn't bother me, but I can note that. :agree

Vrielinkie likes this.
  7. Karen

Sounds fun! I've added it to the list too! :)

plumdumpling likes this.
  8. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    From the New York Times best-selling author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo; now with a bonus conversation with Julia Whelan and Taylor Jenkins Reid, recorded exclusively for this edition.

At the age of 29, Hannah Martin still has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She has lived in six different cities and held countless meaningless jobs since graduating college. On the heels of leaving yet another city, Hannah moves back to her hometown of Los Angeles and takes up residence in her best friend Gabby’s guestroom. Shortly after getting back to town, Hannah goes out to a bar one night with Gabby and meets up with her high school boyfriend, Ethan.

Just after midnight, Gabby asks Hannah if she’s ready to go. A moment later, Ethan offers to give her a ride later if she wants to stay. Hannah hesitates. What happens if she leaves with Gabby? What happens if she leaves with Ethan?

In concurrent storylines, Hannah lives out the effects of each decision. Quickly, these parallel universes develop into radically different stories with large-scale consequences for Hannah, as well as the people around her. As the two alternate realities run their course, Maybe in Another Life raises questions about fate and true love: Is anything meant to be? How much in our life is determined by chance? And perhaps, most compellingly: Is there such a thing as a soul mate?

Hannah believes there is. And, in both worlds, she believes she’s found him.

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

Oh this sounds fun and I've read and loved a couple of her books. I hadn't even heard of this one yet, but it's definitely going on my own to-read list! Thanks for the suggestion!

10. Karen

djp332 likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

12. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I read one of hers, the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and really liked that one

Karen likes this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm sucking this year at reading, I've only finished one book so far. I guess I'm too busy getting outdoors more now that I'm not working and I'm exploring our new city. I hope to get to this one sometime soon, it sounds good. I've read other books by the author.

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  14. Karen

15. Karen

I read that one and liked it too! :)

16. Karen

That's the great thing about books... they'll always be there for the raining days when you don't want to go outside! :)

17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

David Baldacci has a new book coming out in April that features two women main characters. I always enjoy a Baldacci thriller.
    Mickey Gibson, single mother and former detective, leads a hectic life similar to that of many moms: juggling the demands of her two small children with the tasks of her job working remotely for ProEye, a global investigation company that hunts down wealthy tax and credit cheats.

When Mickey gets a call from a colleague named Arlene Robinson, she thinks nothing of Arlene’s unusual request for her to go inventory the vacant home of an arms dealer who cheated ProEye’s clients and fled. That is, until she arrives at the mansion to discover a dead body in a secret room—and that nothing is as it seems.

Not only does the arms dealer not exist but the murder victim turns out to be Harry Langhorne, a man with mob ties who used to be in Witness Protection. What’s more, no one named Arlene Robinson works at ProEye.

In the blink of an eye, Gibson has become a prime suspect in a murder investigation—and now her job is also on the line until she proves that she was set up. Before long, Gibson is locked in a battle of wits with a brilliant woman with no name, a hidden past, and unknown motives—whose end game is as mysterious as it is deadly.

18. Karen

Looks like this is the books you were talking about? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61198195-simply-lies

19. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

20. Karen

:giggle I was able to hunt it down by your synopsis and the author. Lol. :agree