Submitting Your Layouts

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Mar 13, 2023.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I know there's few here that have submitted their layouts previously and been included/published in a few scrapbooking magazines.

So who here has? What magazines? Do you still submit to today? If you've never submitted, what's holding you back??

2. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I've been published twice in Canadian Scrapbooker. They've since gone out of business (hopefully not related, LOL). Since I post everything here, my pages don't qualify, since they usually have to be previously unpublished pages.

mary kate and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I was published in Creating Keepsakes Magazine in their top ten issue in 2005 or 2006.

mary kate and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I haven't ever submitted anything for magazines. But was on the creative team for Get It Scrapped and loved creating for Debbie Hodge's articles.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I had a page picked 19 years ago for a Becky Higgins sketch article in Creating Keepsakes-- it was the first page I ever submitted! It ended up being not in the magazine but instead online only. That was the only thing I ever had published for a scrapbook magazine. I was on Debbie Hodges' "Get it Scrapped" site team for a few years so I had lots of pages shown in articles/classes on her site, which was a lot of fun!

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I haven't ever submitted! I would love to try! Where do you submit them?

Trina gets published a bunch of times! @tjscraps I'm always in awe when I "know" the creator and it's published, lol!

tjscraps and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I was published a few times back when there were quite a few scrapbook magazines. I haven’t submitted anything for ten years at least though. These days I’m not sure where one would even send submissions.

LoveItScrapIt and jk703 like this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

Yup she's the main one I was thinking about as I know she gets published alot. :)

tjscraps and jk703 like this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I would love to know where, too!
    I've seen Trina's!

tjscraps and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  10. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Not to worry, @HeatherB! They're still in business, but changed their name to Creative Scrapbooker a few years ago (my guess is to appeal to a broader, US market?).

I had one LO published in Canadian (now Creative) Scrapbooker, in 2016 or 2017: it was one of the first layouts that I posted at TLP, made with one of ForeverJoy's vintage kits (but I removed it from the TLP gallery when I submitted to the magazine).

Years ago, I had two other layouts published, so long ago now that I can't remember the name of one of the magazines! It was a Somerset Studio publication (I think they had a digital edition, at some point?), it didn't come out very often. The other was Scrapbooks Etc.

I miss the heyday of the scrapbooking magazines.

janedee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  11. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Oh wait. It's wasn't Scrapbooks Etc., it was Scrapbooking & Keepsakes. I'm surprised my page even got published, given that it was a "computer-generated layout," LOL!

983662_582010778526563_1874034530_n.jpg

942501_582010275193280_1130557777_n.jpg

I still sort of like this page, though nowadays I would scrap that photo quite differently, of course.

Memaw2Wm, LoveItScrapIt and jk703 like this.
  12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 3.57.29 PM.png
    Mine too!! It was a digi layout and I was so shocked when they picked it! i don't even have the magazine anymore unfortunately! :(

I'm pretty sure it's this issue. I think my MIL had one so I'm going to check and see if she still had it. If not I might eBay it to buy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    jk703 and mary kate like this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I was published in The Artisan Notebook as well as Digital Artist Magazine. Both publications no longer exist.

I was also a part of Everyday Storyteller Volume I, associated with Jennifer Wilson over at The Simple Scrapper.

I've been featured on the Gallery Standouts/Finger Pointing blog, which isn't really a publication, but it does recognize layouts from digi galleries.

I believe that Trina @tjscraps has been published numerous times in Scrapbook & Cards Today. Their current call for submissions is here: https://scrapbookandcards.com/current-call/

14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was published in a magazine years and years ago, I can't even remember what it was lol
    I am on the Creative Team for The Simple Scrapper, so I am published in their online magazine every month.

jk703 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  15. LoveItScrapIt

Amazing info ladies. Congrats to all that have been published.
    I was published many years ago in one of the magazines. Never got a copy of it and can't remember now.
    I've been featured on the GSO blog many times over.

16. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Hahaha thanks for all the tags ladies :)

I am published quite frequently - I've only missed like 2 issues of Creative Scrapbooker (formerly Canadian Scrapbooker) in the last 10-12 editions? I've lost track. That sounds terrible - I should keep better track.

The key to getting published is SUBMIT SUBMIT SUBMIT. I submit 30-50 pages for each issue. They have specific themes, or just seasonal ones. As I create pages if I think they're publish worthy I put them in a folder 'To Submit - season (Fall, spring, etc)'. Then when those calls come up I look and see what else I've got that fits the specific calls, and submit them all.

Funny thing is the ones I submit that I think are my best work, never ever get published. The ones that I submit that I'm like - eh, if they take it they take it - often get published.

My last published pages were actually this month, in Creative Scrapbooker. They were using stuff from non-TLP designers, so I won't share the pages here :)

But here are some I've had published with TLP designers:

With Kristin Aagard:
    scoop.jpg

With Bella Gypsy:
    summer0.jpg Summer.jpg

Scrapping with Liz / Bella Gypsy:
    beckett.jpg
    beckett1.jpg

This one I did for MOC one year:
    roadtrip.jpg

roadtrip1.jpg

And this is with older stuff from Rachel (when she designed under the Captivated visions name):
    lastphoto.jpg

And one more:
    [​IMG]

There are more, but I haven't put them all in my album ... but you get the jist lol

17. tjscraps

They're now 'Creative Scrapbooker'! Same publishing team, still based out of Elk Point, AB :)

Also - published is only for published in a print scrapbooking magazine, not if they've been posted online:

unpublished.png

Back when phone books were still a thing (2008-2009 ish?) I had a lady in awe that I was from the same province as her, in "Digital Scrapbooking Magazine" (now defunct). She went through all the Joneses in my town to find me - called me, and asked how to get started in digi scrapping. It freaked me out lol

Only once there - I keep trying! Mainly in 'Creative Scrapbooker'. Current submissions here: http://creativescrapbooker.ca/submissions/

18. tjscraps

I forgot to add, for about a year I was on staff at an online scrapbooking magazine on their digital team. I didn't get paid, but I did have a whole bunch of pages published there too - it was like the Artisan Notebook. Now also closed.

19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I haven’t submitted in years, but used to do it quite frequently. I was a Creating Keepsakes Hall of Fame honorable mention, so I was in the HOF issue plus several others. I was a Memory Makers Magazine Master which lead to a year of being published in their magazine and books. I had a few in Better Homes and Gardens’ Scrapbooks Etc, but I had more photos than pages published as I used to be on their preferred photographer list.

I think pretty much everyone I was published through is gone now. Didn’t know there were still scrapping publications! It was fun to see pages in print and the checks weren’t bad either lol!

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Photoshop Artistry class I took...
    Living the Photo Artistic Life issue 2 April 2015

Page in magazine:
    upload_2023-3-14_5-9-16.png

Page here:
    [​IMG]

designbylime and LoveItScrapIt like this.