Storage of Layouts

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, May 5, 2021.

1. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am not a chronological scrapper so I really am not sure how to store my finished layouts. I have such a mess because I seem to do it different each year.

Can any of you that do not scrap chronological provide any insight as to how you store your finished layouts?

Thanks so much.

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Do you like storing them chronologically or would you rather store them by the year you scrapped them? I don’t scrap chronologically but I like to store them in order by year. I have a 2021 Pages folder where I throw all my pages I’ve made this year, then when 2021 ends I’ll throw them into folders by year. Good luck!

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just print the pages I make each year in an album no matter what the dates of the photos on the pages. And because it's easiest to just drag and drop them all into the software I use, they end up in the order I created them.

So in my files, I have folders for each year I've scrapped.

I do sometimes do Project 52 and give the pages filenames like "2021week17" so those will be in order. And a few years ago I started a habit of beginning filenames with the number of the month in case I want to use that information.

Basically, I just keep it simple and easy!

Donitab likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I print my finished layouts as 12x12 prints and put them in Creative Memories albums by themes. I do put them chronologically in the themed albums though... well as close as I can when it comes to the really old photos I've scanned and scrapped.

As for the computer storage, I actually have folders that correspond to the physical albums and the final jpg layout goes into the folder that corresponds to the physical album it is in.

5. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I can see where grouping by theme, season, or by people in the layouts could work.

6. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I also scrap non-chronologically. My files look something like this:

Folder: Scrapbook Layouts
    > Folder: 2021
    >> File: 2021-01-01_NewYears_Person (saved as layered file, print, web)

OR

Folder: Scrapbook Layouts
    > Folder: 2015
    >> Folder: 2015 WDW
    >>> File: 2015-01-01_Disney_People (saved as layered file, print, web)

So each year has it's own folder, and if I have something like a vacation album that goes into the main year folder. I name layouts with the full date (if I know it), layout title, and people or something else identifying like the location if there's no people.

I hope this helps!

7. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

*L* My layouts are alll over the place.. I scrap by mood.. so sometimes.. its my dog.. sometimes its art journal.. sometimes baby photos of my kids. sometimes photos from this year..

I just have a giant thumb drive and keep folders by years on there (and kids names).. so I can drop the finished layouts in there.. to grab later

8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I don't scrap chronologically, but I do save that way. I have a folder for each year & I have been naming my fullsize layouts by the year for awhile now too: 2020_5_"title"

I do print layouts so this way I can print mostly chronological- I have most of 2016 printed (after I print I pull them to another folder so that I don't print duplicates, but I also don't have much left of 2016 to scrap so that helps!)

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm not a chronological scrapper either. I keep my finished (full sized layouts) in files - mainly by year. My CT pages are in the CT files so I can retrieve them if necessary. If I know I'm going to print a page, I make a copy of the 3600x3600 page and put it in a "TO BE PRINTED" file. Then when I'm ready to print a book, the pages are in one file. The pages older than 2020 and not in one of the files listed above) go to one of my EHD's.

Nemla likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I will print layouts in photo books with a theme . . . like just layouts of me and my husband, or layouts with both my children . . . I will try to print those in chronological order from oldest photos to newest photos.

11. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Same! I start with one system then at some point start doing something else...I have a mess too and not just with layouts but also with kits and photos.

I was saving my pages with the date of the photos in them but every now and then I end up finding photos that I don't know the dates they were taken and I'm like, "what now"? lol

12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Because some of my pages are challenge based only ,and some are family/friends and data protected ( kids of friends ) my files look something like this ;
    LilyPad uploads 2021 Start feb. ( I have a single separate folder for MOC)
    {other site } Challenge idea pages /posted ( 2 folders in 1)
    {other sites } uploads 2021
    Family only 2021
    Mixed family/ friends / Me ( no year, but it does have a few sub folders )
    Card fronts/ print sheets /fun bits ( no year, but I am changing that I think )
    Creative team 2021
    If it is a family / friends / card page that is also posted, the small web version go into the uploads folders and the large printable version ( in my case an PSE file ) goes in the Family/friends , what ever file.
    It sort of works, but I still desperately search for something some times .

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I only print my trip books.. my scrap pages since I scrap all different photos I keep by year.

"My Scrapbook pages 2015 etc."

14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have folders labelled by year. So eventually when I've finished, each folder will be chronological even though the layouts were not created chronologically.
    I name my layouts yymmtitle - e.g. 0607fairground for a fairground page with photos from July in 2006. That way when sorted by filename they will be viewable in month order. All pages for photos/stories from 2006 will be in a folder simply labelled 2006 inside my family scrapbooks folder.

15. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Before I switched to chronological scrapping, I printed single pages so that I could put them in the correct yearly albums no matter when they were scrapped and printed. On my computer, all finished layouts went right into a "Print me" folder. After they'd been printed I moved them into the folder for the year the photo was taken.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

On my computer:
    All layouts are saved YYYY-month-thing. So, 2021AprMunchkinSoccer or 2019SepVacaFalls. A few just have a year, or person, especially for scanned photos - 1997FallhsSadies or ScanGrandmaMPicnic.
    All layouts I create are saved in "Desktop Layouts" (Desktop comes from when I had a laptop and desktop I scrapped on; I never changed the name). For an entire year, they gather there. Inside that folder is a folder called PL2021 (or whatever year it is). All my PL layouts go in that folder. PL I print throughout the year, and I print them as single 12x12 and stick them in a page protector and binder.

The rest of the layouts: at the end of the year, I throw them into their year folders: 2000 - 2021(individual year folders); Highschool (1 folder), and pre-2000 (1 folder). I don't have as many photos scrapped right now that are pre-2000, because I did most of those on paper. I have those layouts scanned, and the photos are a disorganized mess right now. When I scrap more in that time period, I'll add more folders.

Printing:
    When I print photobooks, I go to a year, and see what has a lot of layouts done. Then I grab as many as are done/fit the page count. I drop them into a folder inside the year called "printed". And I print those out and title it "A peek at year". I've also grabbed just Munchkin layouts from a few years and called it " Munchkin Vol x". These are chronological in the book, but not at all in the series! I've noticed Munchkin doesn't mind. And since I currently tend to print with sales, I don't spend a lot on the books right now. I do the same with vacation overviews, or family books.

I have big organizational plans for making this better, but this is already long, so I'll stop here.