staycationing | Pad Patter 12 July

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

What are your favourite things to do on a staycation? Is there anything in your hometown or local area that other people usually visit there to see? Do you find yourself just doing the same old chores and it's not really a 'cation' at all?

No school here this week or next, it's flown by pretty fast so far and is really just more washing and more elaborate homecooking that we dont usually have time for, with some extra reading and scrap time (not complaining!). DH had a few days off and spent them in the garden. There's a beach and harbour here with a lighthouse (20-30mins away) that is basically a short break destination for Sydneysiders but as far as activities, a little coding robots lesson at the library is all the kids have done, they're happy just with less schoolwork and more game time

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Love staycations because you can come home to your own bed. We had a staycation last week and we were out and about 6 of the 9 days. It was hot, so we did a splash pad day, and a pool day. Just stuff around town on within 1-1.5 hour drive. Then the week ended and I had to go back to reality!

bellbird and Cherylndesigns like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

When I have a staycation, I usually end up doing neglected projects around the house. I feel like that's all I've been doing this summer so far. There are so many things to do around here within 30 min or so of home, and we never seem to do any of them LOL We have white water rafting, hiking, waterfalls, skiing, rivers and lakes, and so much more that we could do any day that we wanted, but for some reason we say we will and then don't most of the time.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

There is nothing in my town that people come for. There are some popular beach destinations about 2 hours away...but I'm not dealing with tourists in my own area lol. I'd rather just stay closer to home--not that I want to be only at home doing chores, but I don't want to drive too far, either lol.

When we have a staycation, we try to do new-to-us things around town as well as those things that the kids may love but we may not get to do very often. As a SAHM, I'm kind of around the house all the time, so on the one hand it sounds silly to say "I get stuff done during a staycation" as if I'm never here lol, but on the other hand, it's a lot easier to get stuff done if we're on a "staycation" cuz I'm more lax with TV time for the kids: they get to watch a movie and I get to organize a room without too many interruptions.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Living in SW Florida and having a pool, I always feel like I'm on vacation. Our oldest daughter and SIL pulled their 5th wheel "glamper" over last weekend and it was a whole 20 minute drive for us to go enjoy their hospitality and come home and sleep in our own beds. Two of the boys decided to stay here, too. They're bringing it back weekend of the 27th.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

When the kids were smaller we'd have a staycation over the 4th of July week each year and I'd plan craft projects for each day or some fun little outing to the beach or splashpad, but now that they are older and are in more activities, a staycation for us is more chill. We all will watch a movie together and then the kids will play games, I'll paint or scrapbook and my hubby will go fishing. lol.

We live in a tourist destination on a small scale since we live in a beach town on the Lake Michigan, so in the summer our downtown area is pretty crazy and we avoid it most of the time. We used to ride our bikes downtown more often, but now that the kids are older they have more activities in the evenings and it's harder for us to all be home at the same time these days.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We are going to Chicago for the day (it's a couple hours from here) next week as part of our staycation. We will also probably hit the beach (about 45 minutes from here), and then there's a petting zoo-farm thing about an hour from here where you can hold baby chicks & bunnies that's on our list as well.

8. Psychozoe

Psychozoe Well-Known Member

Our summer staycations are so much different than places with 4 seasons. Summer here in Arizona is too hot to do much outside.. we siesta in the day and come out at night. :hammock

You either have to be in air conditioning or in water. I like to turn the temp down on the hot tub and pretend its a swimming pool.

9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Hmmm...we don't take too many vacations. I guess we staycation every summer LOL!

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love staycations! For our 20th anniversary, because of lack of funds, my hubby and I ended up staying home to celebrate the milestone. We did it during the summer even though our anniversary is in October, because the kiddos were out from school and it was easier for other family members to keep them.

We stayed home for TEN GLORIOUS DAYS and the kiddos stayed mostly with my mom, but did stay with mother-in-law a couple of days. We stayed up late, watched movies, went out to eat, went shopping, went to the beach, and then towards the end of our time together, we started working on some house projects. It was a great bonding time for us, and I can't recommend it enough to others.

The kiddos are here during the summer. Olivia is working this year, but she works from home part-time and then goes to the university for the other part of the time. I work from home, so I still have to make office hours. I try to keep them more flexible than during the school year, so I can join in on fun when it's happening. We have plans for an evening trip to the beach soon (it's so unbearably hot during the daytime - we just enjoy it more in the evening). We haven't been to the lake or the river yet either, so that's on our summer bucket list as well. All these things are within 20-30 minutes of our home. Someone once posted that we live where other people vacation, and that's really true.

This weekend is Blue Angels weekend at the beach, so we won't be heading that way until after those crowds are gone. LOL Can you tell I prefer vacation/staycation without crowds?

jagruti patel likes this.