Starting to get overwhelmed..

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by kelley, Apr 27, 2013.

1. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I have hundreds and hundreds of scrapbook pages on my computer that I have yet to print or get made into photobooks. It is just such a huge and expensive task! I am starting to come to the realization that I just might not have the money to get them all printed. I am wondering if any of you ladies have any great ideas or maybe have used any good online gallery type sites? I am thinking maybe ideally I'd have 1 site or account with a separate "portfolio" for each of the kids and then for vacations or whatever. I would create a website and put it all on there, but it wouldn't be private and that's no good. There has to be some sort of digital scrapbooking gallery type things that are just private, right? I want this so that later on, my kids will have all their pages without having to go through my hard drive searching for what belongs to each of them, etc. I would like to get to where I just upload to these galleries each time I make a page right when I upload to the regular galleries.

2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I have no idea of the answer, but I totally understand you.

3. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

hmm...this is an interesting idea. I just dump everything on FB right now. I would worry about spending a lot of time uploading to a gallery, only to have it be taken down. I know that happened with Kodak galleries and my AOL picture box thing a few years ago. Maybe a dedicated flash drive or something for each kid.

4. KateD

KateD Member

Could you use Flickr or Smugmug or something like that? Or you could host your own gallery; I had one set up when I had a website with Hostgator. I think it's about $7 a month for the basic hosting package with them.

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I do a 100-150 page book every year...and it is $60-80 depending on where I go ( I print at 10x10) These books are worth so much more to me! Seriously, look into printing even a 20 page book and hold that baby in your hand...you will be saving money each year to get them done! We love them!

6. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

I would be leary of depending on having images posted online and only online... I have seen big sites close down with little to no warning and if that were the case the time invested would be a complete waste. If you price out paper scrapbooking vs digi - digi even with printing after the pages are created is very close to the same as paper scrapping. I also agree with Anne about printing books. You can order when there are sales and manage to print books at a discount.

7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

One thing you can do is use separate folders for each child,and perhaps a general family one.When you make a page for them make sure to put them in the correct folder, then at intervals put the pages unto a pen drive. Once a year you can then go through the each drive,select the 10 or 20 most meaningful or funny pages,print only them,and keep the pen drive with that book.that way if they want more printed copies later they can.
    I agree with Trista 100 % it is risky just to trust an online service. :)

8. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I selectively print too. I pick 20+ pages, depending on my budget and print whenever there is a sale. This will be the first year I've had more than 60 pages to choose from for the whole year, so if you make tons that might be harder. I like my Artscow books and they are constantly sending me "free" books where you just pay shipping. I also print in 8 x 8 because its cheaper. I know persnickety does sales where you can buy a ton of credits in advance and print later, single pages are nice because you can go back and add the layouts you didn't print at first on a later date.

Flicker and Facebook both let you create private albums, but they are subject to shutting down randomly. I know I've had pictures on MySpace for 8 or 9 years, I actually forgot about them until I was writing this reply, lol!! So maybe create a secret Facebook group and do your albums on there and then you can add your kids when they're old enough? Facebook lets you multiple upload, and it wouldn't take long at all to set that up so you wouldn't have invested too much time if it shuts down or something. I still like the idea of individual Zip drives or CDs, but even those can get damaged or corrupt. What a dilemma.

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Shutterfly has something called Sharesites. It's like your our website just for sharing photos. You can make it private and do email invites for the whole site or just individual folders. Also for those who subscribed to your Sharesite, they'll get a weekly email if you've added anything new. I really love it.

10. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

I don't have a good answer for you, but I've been thinking about this question lately. I think I am going to try to save my layouts to a private Flickr gallery because I like that they will be saved at full resolution, when and if I decide to print them. Also, I've had prints made at Persnickety Prints and they do a great job. And, if you do decide to do some printing, Persnickety Prints will be having their semi-annual sale May 4-6 and 12x12, 8.5x11 and 8x8 prints will be 25% off their normal price.

11. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

I would have a folder for each child/album on your computer then also upload each of those to Flicker, you can keep adding to it and you can make it private for only your family viewing.

12. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I love my Flickr Pro account for this. I use it for my highlight photos from each season, all my web sized layouts and my full resolution layouts, too. It came in handy this past week when some of my online friends got together and made a photo book for a friend who was critically ill. But I do worry about the site going down...

13. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

I'd probably create folders of pages for each child and keep them saved and backed on my computer so that I could give them the digital files when the time came. Persnickity and shutterfly have lots of sales, I generally wait until the to print. I'd be worried my online photo book place would go out if business.. Not to mention its not always easy to download the high res files back to you computer. Sort of uploading just to have to download them again. I do use shutterfly sharesites for photos I want to share but I don't count on it as a long term solution. Just my two cents - good luck!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  14. blinks14

blinks14 The wine made me do it!

I have yet to have my pages put into a photobook because of the price either. But I'm coming up on a year of digi scrapping and I always treasured my paper albums. I may just bite the bullet and get a book of my first year of pages, especially if Persnickety is having a sale. I had one page printed by them as a gift and I just loved it!!!