Starting a Blog?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by krscraps, Sep 28, 2017.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I'm thinking of starting a blog (with the hours and hours of free time I have /sarcasm font). I wanted it to be Disney themed with a little bit of everything: photography, scrapbooking, trip reports, tips and tricks... I just worry that it's too much like Capturing Magic.

Thoughts?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My first thought is go for it. It could be a great learning experience for you. But, be positive you know what you want to get out of the blog. Are you looking for it to be a side hustle? Or just a fun side project when you have time?

If you think it'll be too close to another blog, maybe brainstorm what you feel they are missing and you can provide? Do they focus on family visits, and you have an individual focus? Or do you want to take about the process of putting the whole thing together? I know you are quick to get your books done, and that's an awesome thing to share with others!

3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I ran a blog for five years. I started it from the ground up and by three years in, I was actually making an income that made a difference to my family.

I eventually stopped because of what a time commitment it was. It took A LOT to grow it and bring readers in. Then, it took just as much to keep them engaged and coming back.

I did enjoy it and the people and experiences it brought my way. However, I had no idea when I began how much time it really takes to be successful.

Best of luck to you.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I'm starting one up just for fun - to practise writing and get into the habit of producing something regularly. I agree with @bestcee - knowing what you want the blog to be (personal, trying to make some income, just a hobby) will determine a few things. If you're writing mostly for yourself and friends, then I think it's okay to have similar content to another site. If you want to generate any kind of following or income, it may be best to think about what you can offer that's unique or different.

On the technical side, I tend to recommend Wordpress. Easy to use and shift around if you want to change hosts or providers. Squarespace is even easier to use but I've had problems in the past trying to export blog content when changing platforms.

bestcee likes this.