Spring Cleaning | Pad patter 3.29.2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Mar 29, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Do you practice "spring cleaning"?

I hate cleaning, but I love to get rid of stuff! I've been lazy all winter and now I'm ready to organize, and either trash or donate a ton of STUFF.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nope. I just tend to do more thorough cleaning of certain things when I feel like it. And, because I'm allergic to dust, it takes me awhile to do anything. So a project that could take someone else a half a day, would take me multiple days!

I will say though that I did the huge purge several years ago and have been more diligent about what is brought into the house so that stuff doesn't accumulate. I actually had no donations last year because of it and don't foresee any this year either.

I finally got some frames on Friday that I had been wanting and got the 2 things framed on Saturday. I needed to rearrange items for the display on the desk. So I took stuff off the top of the piano to move the desk items there. Time for the Longaberger Christmas bells and sleighs to be put away. I decided to wash the fabric items and that led to getting all the liners from every Longaberger basket in the house to be washed. I tend to ignore them so some had a layer of dust on them. I have been suffering ever since even though I'm taking my allergy pills! Been through a couple boxes of Kleenex since then. I did decide though to not put the liners back on the baskets. Much easier to use canned air to clean them without the liners. LOL

Last summer I had a friend wash the windows on the outside and I was doing the inside. I got half the house done. Probably should do the rest of them, right?

3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Nope ... no time for that. My mom did though back in the day. I do need to get back to sorting through, organizing and getting rid of stuff. I still have a couple of boxes of stuff I dragged home from the office that needs to be gone through and filed or shredded.

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ha ha - every spring I think, I should clean the windows. Then I put it on a To Do List and after about 6 weeks, I take it back off. Trust me, it is hard to be motivated to do the routine stuff some weeks.

That said, I am thinking if I clean the windows in 1 or 2 rooms, eventually they will be clean. So my screens are not tight and there is a pile of dead bugs in between the glass and the screen (seems they get in and can't get back out??). I don't even want to think about getting those up. Maybe I will ask the DH to show me how to use the shopvac. Needless to say I don't open the windows too often either.

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Spring cleaning for me will happen the first week after school is out for the summer. I usually take one room a day to clean and purge. I love it!! By this time of year, I'm getting really antsy!

6. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I dont like to clean..... so nope...lmao..we do a deep clean about once or twice a year..and eric is ocd..so he cleans when. He feels the need...but for most part..don't come to my house and not expect dust or pupper hair

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I swear you and I are so much alike on some things! LOL I did real good last summer with getting the windows done in 4 rooms. Just couldn't face doing the big window in the living room or the windows in my bedroom.

I also don't open my windows mainly because my brick house stays more comfortable when I don't. Makes it easier if I do choose to use the a/c since I don't have to run around making sure all the windows are down.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes, my spring cleaning includes the ever-popular "open the windows" type dusting. LOL

Unfortunately, because of my chronic back pain, there are A LOT of tasks that I used to do that just don't get done or I have to wait a long time for a family member to volunteer to do it.

The next big project that Olivia will end up helping me with is the linen closet. I end up doing it every year. It's organized but somehow during Christmas things get shoved in there and then it's a mess as there is really no extra space.

As far as getting rid of clutter, I do that on a routine basis. Right now, we have a lot of things from my SIL who passed in October. There was a huge bin of lace that I want to go through, but it needs to be washed before I go through (it smells super musty). There's also craft supplies galore and other knick-knacks. Some of that hubby will have to decide on keeping or not.

Dalis likes this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Wash the lace in some oxyclean and rinse well, they will come out nice and bright.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This house needs a deep deep Spring cleaning. I "started" today. I have the recycle bin and trash bin full tomorrow is trash day.

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don’t do spring cleaning as in... in the spring. I definitely go in spurts though where I feel the need to declutter or I get a cleaning bug. It’s just not dependent on a season. Lol.

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I tend to spring clean year round. I like to stay on top of clutter and I usually deep clean something when it gets to the point I can't stand it any longer.

13. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I clean and declutter year round but there are some things I make sure I do in the spring like give the front door and porch a super good cleaning. I also need to clean the deck and get the patio cushions out of storage so we can enjoy Easter on the back deck. A neighbor boy was washing windows to earn money last summer/late spring so I hired him to wash all the windows. Hiring it out was definitely the way to go.

I still have some decluttering to do of things that are boxed up from our remodel. I’m slowly going through things and putting out just the things I want to keep. I finally got the fireplace built-ins decorated yesterday and it feels good to have a fresh clean look.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    BevG likes this.
  14. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Oh my! I feel so lazy and unmotivated. My mother used to do an annual, old-fashioned spring cleaning, where she washed everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING: walls, floors, and windows; closets, shelves, and cupboards; rugs, curtains, and bedlinens; toilets, sinks, and household appliances; and every room in the house scrubbed from top to bottom ...

... And: I'm not going to do that :lol because I'm just too darn lazy, frankly. However, I am going to declutter, clean, and re-organize the mudroom/laundry room, because it's driving me nuts, and because it's time (yay!) to get rid of the winter boots and the snowshoes and etc.

(My mother also used to iron and starch the bedsheets, and I'm not going to do that either, of course:-) ... but what a treat it was to go to bed on freshly laundered and starched sheets!)

rach3975 likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Does anybody belong to that cleaning group on FB? I can't think of the name - Marie something. She has a "list" posted on there and your windows should be cleaned once a month. :rollin

I seriously think Martha Stewart runs that group.

16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Is summer cleaning a thing? The preschool I teach at gets out a week or two before my kids' schools, so that is usually when I start big projects. Since I apparently have absolutely no ability to predict how long things will take me, I then spend the rest of the summer tackling my "2 or 3 weeks" worth of house projects! I don't always do a spring cleaning over the summer, but this year I need to. We've all been home so much this year that everything is filthy.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I’m the same, I hate cleaning but do like to organize and purge. I’m going to be cleaning out closets and cabinets and donating anything I haven’t used in a few yrs. I also get my hubs to take the double windows out for cleaning every spring.

Most of my spring cleaning is outdoors. I have to clean up the garden, clean off the porch and give the BBQ, chairs and bench a good scrubbing.