Spotify and music storage | Pad Patter 01.31

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by G.J., Jan 31, 2023.

1. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Last weekend was a real nightmare for somebody like me, first my EHD seems to be almost full, with a limited storage space, second, fb punished me with no posting in groups etc., but I can comment, and third, for some reason the internet connection was so slooooooooooooooooow, that pages didn't charge, so I didn't be able to go thru the gallery giving some love, as was my wish. In such kind of conditions, I'd try to relax listening some music, but then I noticed that all my favorite playlists were in spotify, and connection was slow, lol, At this point I need to say that I have a mobile that it's not rooted, and I don't want to root it either, so for relax I ended up walking in the snow, now every single muscle aches. On Monday when things worked out better, I downloaded my favorite tunes to my mobile, in a 8 GB SD card, where they were saved by alphabetical order, and now simply jumps from jazz to 80's rock, then to piano, electroswing, lol, a complete chaos, but at least now they are with me, and I can hear my favorite music no matter if connection is slow or isn't working.
    How do you relax when overwhelmed? or what do you do to relax when things don't go as planned?
    Do you have a local digital music library? if so, how do you storage your music, spotify, dropbox, pcloud, etc?

umyesh likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I had burned all my CD's to my computer years ago. At that time I would listen to them using iTunes. I still have the digital files on my hard drive as well as 3 different EHD's so that they can be copied to any new computer. I have also copied the files to several thumb drives that I can use in my Victrola 8-in-1 record player.

I've never used Spotify or even Pandora (?) to stream music. I do have Amazon music through prime and will sometimes listen to it while working on my computer. A lot of my favorite music from years ago that I don't have CD's on are on my Prime music lists.

With my hearing issues, I have a hard time listening to anything using earbuds, I need regular speakers which is why I use my computer or the music unit and have never gotten into listening to music on my phone.

G.J. likes this.
  3. G.J.

That's a great idea to burn all on CD's, I'm gonna do it as well, and backup the files to a different EHD, not just on my phone, I thank for the tips.

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I relax by laying in my bed, walking, or listening to music. I don’t have a local digital music library.

G.J. likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have Spotify Premium through my cell provider in which I pay half price. Well worth it for me to have the offline abilities when travelling which is the number one reason I pay for the premium service.

G.J. likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

To relax - I do lots of things. Depending on what I need to relax from...lol
    Some of the things I do: write poetry, listen to music, binge TV, color, scrapbook, sleep

I have Spotify Family Premium. We pay for it so that hubby, kids, and I can all have it.
    If you weren't aware, there is a feature on Spotify that you can just DOWNLOAD your playlists and then when you don't have connection, you are still able to listen to your music. This is what I do, so that when cell phone connections aren't great, (like when we go out to the remote areas to go fishing) I can still listen to my tunes.
    Here's a link to show you how to do it (this only works if you have Premium though) https://support.spotify.com/us/article/listen-offline/

G.J. and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I also use music to help me unwind. I have a few of my favorite old CDs ripped to my computer, but mostly I listen to music on Amazon Prime or YouTube Music. If my internet goes down, I'm probably not on my computer anyway. Lol.

The other thing I do to de-stress is sleep or read. Or I read until I fall asleep. :giggle

G.J. likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No, I burned my music CD's to digital files. Some of that music is not available in the digital world.

I drove a vehicle for 13 years that had a CD player (got it in 2003) so I bought a lot of music CD's to listen to when I was driving. By burning the CD's to digital it was easier to listen to the music on the computer since I didn't have to switch out the CD's all the time.

G.J. likes this.
  9. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I find exercise and walking to be the best thing when stressed out. The higher the aerobic load - the better...helps counteract and get rid of negative stress hormones.

When technology starts to get glitchy, of course I get stressed. I don't store much on hard drives anymore. Pretty much cloud computing for me. Sometimes when technology starts to act crazy - I take it as a sign to stop using it for a moment. Open an organic book. Read one of my Stampington magazines. Go for a super long, slow walk. Make art in analog mode. Unplugging has become part of my weekly routine, honestly.

For music, I subscribe to iTune - Apple Music. For the most part, most of my playlists are in the cloud. But I can access them from my phone, computer, and iPad. I love cloud computing and keeping hard drives as clear as possible. I have a 2019 vehicle with CarPlay. I can stream my music in my Jeep via my phone. I don't even have to plug the phone in (makes calls and all that jazz too...but I HATE to talk and drive, it's distracting to me).

But seriously, although you are sore from walking, it is a great stress relief. Keep doing it! And I recommend time away from electronic gadgets - open a book, a magazine, make some random college or brush strokes on real paper, journal with paper and pen, play a puzzle game (like crosswords, sudoko and others found in little puzzle magazines) or even put together a puzzle.

G.J. likes this.
  10. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

For stress, I snack. (There I admitted it. lol)

For music, I have both Pandora Premium and YouTube Music. My dh wanted to do the family premium for Pandora. I think my sister and BIL use it more than we do. lol I mostly use YouTube Music. I am a legacy Google Music user. So my $7.99 actually covers YouTube Premium and all of my burned CDs are stored with YouTube Music. (I don't think they do this any more either.) This is why I stick with it. I loved Google Music. I do not love YouTube Music. It is not nearly as good.

(Yes, that last rant had nothing to do with your question.)

G.J. likes this.
  11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I'm not big on subscription services but we do have Spotify Family and we love it. I figure the amount we spend is less than we used to spend on new music CDs so it is reasonable and I love how you can listen to it anywhere. I also listen to a lot of podcasts on Spotify.

jk703 and G.J. like this.
  12. G.J.

Lisa dear, thank you so much for the advice, planing to walk and exercise more, I really love the sound of nature during spring and summer, not sure about winter, when all what is able to listen is just silence, but can be a great way to calm down my mind too.
    You have a wonderful February my dear, as usual a real pleasure read your messages.

13. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

When I’m stressed I usually go for a walk.

I use iTunes for my music. I do have dozens of CDs, a bunch of 45s, and a dozen or so LP albums. I’ve re-bought most of my 45s from iTunes, along with other songs.

G.J. likes this.
  14. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I have Spotify but I don't pay for it... I don't listen. To music that often... and when I do it's got to be through speakers and quite loud and than normally I just hear bits and pieces and often don't make out all the words...

G.J. likes this.
  15. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

I have Pandora & Spotify on Pandora l love the "stations" that play similar artists. When I am stressed (and l have a stressful job) go for piano (Philip Westley or Tycho) on Pandora. On Spotify I tend to go for a LoFi or jazz in the background when I am stressed. Songs with out words is my preference when I am stressed.

G.J. likes this.
  16. G.J.

Listen piano music is a great way to calm down, I do the same, and same here, instrumental music works better for me when I'm stressed.