Sports | Pad Patter 4/4/23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Apr 4, 2023.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sports.

I like sports, but only certain ones on TV and certain ones in person. Last night we had gotten tickets to a Yankee game (good deal we got before the season started - 4 tickets for $45!) and I always have fun IN PERSON at a baseball game. That isn't the case when it's on TV. I get bored.

Put NFL football on, especially my 49ers and I'm happily watching that on TV or going to a game. I can't usually watch golf and unless golf was to change, I don't know if I could watch in person for a whole day. I can watch basketball but have never been to a game, and don't really have a team. I like watching hockey, root for the Devils, and the games are fun in person.

I also love watching the Olympics, I just wish I could pick and choose what I watched than the programing they choose.

What about you? I don't know if anyone is really into sports here, lol! I might get some crickets as replies, haha!

2. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'll happily go to a game. You will never catch me watching sports on tv unless I'm being forced to. :hehe:hehe

3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

NFL football is my favorite sport to watch and I watch a lot during the season. We also will sometimes go to our local arena football team's games in person -- although I can only really fake enthusiasm for that once or twice a year. Like you, I also only like baseball in person and, again, I only really want to go to one game a year. I'm curious to see the new rules in effect this year. My hubby is Canadian and a big hockey fan so he watches a lot of hockey and we go to a few games. I like hockey and I'm happy to watch if he has it on but mostly have my ipad open so not paying much attention to the game. I do find my interest in professional sports becoming less and less over time - it all just seems kind of silly that people pay them all that money and care so much about a game.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

100% agreed! Too much money. Say that for celebrities and singers too.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm a college football girl. Love watching it on TV and spent many a Saturday at games in the 70's and 80's. I do hope to make the trip to see my cousin's son play in September this year. Although I have been watching his games since they went to streaming during the fall 2020 season that was played during the spring of 2021. They still stream and usually have several hundred people on the streams. Not bad for a small college. And, I love bowl season during December, it helps make the month more bearable for me.

I enjoy March Madness in the beginning. But I get bored when it gets to the F4 unless a school I follow (Buckeyes) is in it. I do always root for the MAC (Mid-American Conference) team no matter who they are since that is the conference my alma mater is in. I did watch some of the women's NCAA this year (Buckeye gals hung in there to the sweet 16!)

I got turned off the NFL during the kneeling controversy. These days I will watch the playoffs if the Bengals are playing... although not a Bengal fan I am a fan of the QB Joe Burrow.

I have attended a few NFL games in person and a few MBL games in person. I agree that baseball is more exciting when in the stands than on TV or radio. But these days, I would be miserable in those huge crowds because of my tinnitus.

jk703 likes this.
  6. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Canadian here…

I liked watching hockey games in person. I will watch on TV if it’s a team I care for, but not if I don’t have a vested interest in the outcome.

Hubby is a sports fanatic - TV is always on sports, I mainly just ignore it. He can tell you who scored the winning goal of the 1986 Stanley cup final (but can’t remember my birthday - we’ve been together 19 years lol)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    jk703 likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We're a big sports family- well a couple sports at least!

Hockey is our #1 probably. We are a billet family for our local WHL team- Spokane Chiefs- so we get season tickets to all the boys' games and attend every one that we can. We also love watching NHL games too- mostly root for the Seattle Kraken, hubby's favorite Edmonton Oilers and son's fave Vegas Knights. We went to a kraken vs knights game last year for son's birthday and it was a blast!

We also watch a lot of NHL football- Seattle Seahawks and LA Rams (my son's fave.) I haven't been to a game in person, but my husband has. Seahawks tickets are so expensive!

We don't watch a ton of Baseball, but have been to a few MLB games in person- Mariners a few times and Yankees when we were in NY. Much more fun to watch in person than on tv. We do watch a lot of college softball on tv though- it's usually "homework" from her coach to watch UW softball! ;)

We don't watch NBA or Soccer at all. Around March Madness we watch a little college basketball- usually just our local team Gonzaga!

And then my kids both play sports- so we are going to lots of softball games/tourneys, Hockey games/tourneys and my son also plays flag football in the fall and spring. So fun!

8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I'm not a huge sports fan at all.. I do like swimming as I swam..and I like to watch figure skating and gymnastics cause I find it different

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I was a big fan of the Seahawks in the 70's/80's and 90's. I always wanted to go to a game in the old Kingdome but being in Ohio, never made it. But I did get to see them play in person when they played the Cincinnati Bengals. My boss had season tickets to both Reds (MLB) and Bengals (NFL) games and would let clients or employees use them. The one time I went there were more Seahawk wearing fans than Bengals in the stands. Surreal!

amien1 likes this.
  10. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I watch alot of basketball, in-person and on TV/online. Mostly HS and club basketball games in-person and college games on TV (NCAA, junior college, March Madness both women and men).

I don't really watch any other sports, in-person or on TV or online.

11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Not much of a professional sports fan. I loved watching my kids and grandkids participate in sports. Youngest grandkid is a senior in high school and finished up his last season of youth league basketball last month ... I'm going to miss youth sports.

That said, I do enjoy watching figure skating and gymnastics if they happen to be on.

12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I watch any sport my son plays (he is in his final year of high school and was in football in the fall, just finished basketball, and has just joined the soccer and flag football teams). I mostly try to watch in-person to show my support, but if I can't make the game, I'll try to find it live-streamed (and most are these days).

He has already committed to the Wildcats, a junior Canadian football team (college level but not affiliated with a college), so we'll be watching all the home games for those live as well next year. I'm hoping the away games will be live-streamed.

As for professional sports, we'll watch the occasional hockey game if the Oilers are playing (our son likes to watch so we watch with him), and dh likes to watch NFL football. We catch the occasional CFL football game if the Elks are playing. We also watched some of the latest FIFA world cup games on TV.

When FIFA Women's World Cup was playing a few games in our hometown in 2015, we went to 2 games and had a blast!!

tjscraps and jk703 like this.
  13. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

I work at ESPN, so I watch a lot of sports on TV by default, but like you, I prefer to be in the stadium whenever possible! When I started this job, the biggest revelation was how boring soccer was to watch. I played soccer for 17 years, so I was stunned how much I disliked watching it/working on it. lol I prefer college to professional sports because the players play like they have something to prove, which makes the games more interesting. That said, I developed a liking for tennis thanks to my job, and I love watching Rafael Nadal because, even as a professional, he treats every point like it's an important one!

I root for my home town teams (KC Chiefs, KC Royals) and my college team (University of Missouri). There are no professional sports in Connecticut (where I live now), but its fun to adopt UCONN from time to time when my team isn't playing them. In general, I'm a fan of many WNBA players, but never adopted a specific team to root for. I didnt grow up in a town with NHL or NBA teams, so I don't have a rooting interest there either.

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I guess I lied because I did actually go to a game in the kingdome when I was really little- probably 12 or so with my mom! I forgot all about that until you mentioned it! ;) My mom was a super fan (still is!!) ;)

15. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yep, we are huge sports fans, a basketball family, although being from small town Iowa, my husband participated in baseball and track as well. We follow the Hawkeyes and Seattle Seahawks as well as the Mariners. Grandson Connor is on a crew team this year which is definitely a new sport for the family.

Who would have ever thought that we would be driving along on the highway last Sunday watching tv on a device that connected to a cordless system of data transfer watching the Iowa Hawkeyes playing in the finals of the Women’s NCAA basketball tournament game being broadcast from Texas, in an all electric car in Georgia!!!
    upload_2023-4-4_14-39-14.jpeg

amien1 likes this.
  16. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

This is pretty much me too except less high school since my kids aren't there anymore. I follow the high school they went to, especially since my daughter played there and they are really good. My daughter plays college basketball now so I mainly watch that.

17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I LOVE watching baseball in a stadium. I used to work at a university and loved listening to the baseball team practice while I worked.

I loved watching NFL football on TV when I was little but not any more. I enjoy high school and college football games in person but I probably people watch more than anything haha

I have never had any interest in watching golf, tennis, hockey or soccer but my daughter plays soccer now so I like watching her.

Basketball is my favorite sport to watch. I’m happy to watch on TV or in person. There’s always something going on. I would LOVE to sit front row at an NBA game. Volleyball is fun to watch too because there’s constant action.

18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love sports!! Pretty much all of them!!
    I agree that baseball in person is much more fun!! We went to a Dodgers/Pirates game year before last and had a blast! We are hoping to go to Atlanta this year for a Braves/Dodgers game. We also have a summer collegiate team here in town and try to get to as many of those games as we can. I also always loved watching my boys play baseball, it was my favorite! My oldest played for 9 years and my youngest played for 5.
    Give me all the NFL and college football! You'll find me in front of the tv most weekends during football season!
    I do enjoy basketball as well (pro and college) and we've been trying to get to a Hornets game (they're closest) for a couple of years, but something always comes up when we think we are going to get to go.

19. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Our hubbies would be insufferable together. :D Hockey, hockey, hockey. . .

tjscraps likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I will happily watch my fave basketball team which plays in the Australian National Basketball League either live or on tv (on my computer) or on occasion I will go to a live Rugby game but thats about it. If my mum watches anything I might watch but more just on as background noise for me.