Spontaneity | Pad Patter 9.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Sep 30, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had planned to be pretty productive this weekend, both around the house and scrapping. But on Friday my oldest son messaged me and asked if we wanted to go to Scarowinds (Carowinds Amusement Park does a haunted theme park thing from 7-midnight on weekends before Halloween) with them Saturday night. I really debated, because for some reason I just don't do spontaneous like I used to when I was younger. Then I decided, what the heck, how often do I get to go away and do stuff like that with them. So we just left, laundry undone, grass not mowed, a few dishes in the sink, and didn't get back until just a little while ago because I did not want to drive 3 hours back in the middle of the night. Now, I'm looking at the dishes and laundry and thinking *ugh*. But I'm really glad we went and made the memories!!

How about you? Are you spontaneous?? Do you ever just drop everything and go?

jesskab, LoveItScrapIt and QuiltyMom like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh my gosh, Jan, that sounds like so much fun!! Even though you're looking at things undone, I'll bet you're really glad you went! My motto is "they'll be there (chores) when I get back". I was totally spontaneous when I was younger and still am pretty spontaneous. I remember, once, some friends just stopped by and asked us to go out to dinner with them. I had dinner in the oven and when they saw that, they figured we'd say "no". I said, we'll have it tomorrow night - I'll have the kids put it in the fridge when it cools off. Let's go to dinner. They laughed about that for years, because the woman (wife) was not spontaneous at all. Her husband said, at the time, "Judy would never do this! I think it's great that you have that attitude."

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yes! I would have done that. I'm like Cheryl -- the chores will wait. And I'm pretty good with being flexible and going with the flow. Glad you had fun!

IntenseMagic and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Depends. If I've already got my mind set on doing some "me" time stuff like scrapping or reading OR if I'm not feeling very "peopley" I would probably decline. But if the timing is right and I have no introverted plans, I have been known to be spontaneous.

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Not really, but now I'm wishing I had been more spontaneous with my kids. It was rather hard when one was a skater and the other a scout, their time being highly scheduled. But it definitely would've made me be a lot less stuffy with them!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

What a great story!! I love that and would totally do the same!

Thanks! There really is something to be said for going with the flow!!

I am like that, too sometimes and there are definitely times that I am not "peopley" at all.

It is a lot harder when outside activities are involved. This is the first season in a long time that I haven't had a sport or something to go to that really restricts our time.

7. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I'm not very spontaneous but I do make an effort to not automatically say "no" so much and ask myself "why not?" before I decide. :D I am an introvert so I kind of have to mentally prepare myself to go out and do stuff -- which makes it harder to just pick up and go spontaneously. I know exactly what you guys mean by not feeling "peopley".

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I was very routine/scheduled in the past. Very uptight, didn't budge as much, and stuck to my guns. Now, I think about it, and talk myself into it! As my kids get older I plan less, and we fly by the seat of our pants more often. I would have done the same as you! I am like Dawn that I have to get myself ready, but I know that I usually will have a good time, and weekends are perfect for doing stuff, and having a day to recuperate, lol! Plus, people make the difference - if I like them, then it's all "Let's Go," and if not, then I might lean toward the no more or add some rules, lol! (like we need to leave at xxx).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I definitely lean more towards being a planner and struggle with fly by the seat of my pants plans... especially during the years that required me to find a sitter for my boys. That was sometimes more work than it was worth if someone wanted to go out randomly. :giggle Now that my boys are old enough to leave alone, I'm MUCH better and winging it. Sounds like you chose wisely and what a fun idea for an amusement park to do a Halloween theme. I'd love that!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^^this^^^ Before kids I liked being spontaneous, or simply saying "Yes" to things. Heck, it didn't even seem like "being spontaneous": it just seemed like "doing stuff" lol!

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  11. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I’m definitely NOT spontaneous, but the best decisions I’ve made in my life were the spontaneous ones. Such as my one year in Canada: I had decided to do this but it took so long to find a match with a job, I had already given up. Then I got the call on Friday, had to decide that day (home alone, of course) and flew on Monday.
    I really should do it more often. I really try but my introverted mind and autistic traits (I’m not diagnosed but I’m definitely above average) don’t help me in this.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

My oldest has conditioned me to be spontaneous because she is last minute everything, so that's when I'm notified about things. On the other hand, my younger one lets me know way in advance and is a bit of a planner. I go both ways when needed.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Nope! We are a planny-plannerson team here! ;) The hubs & I are both type-a sort of personalities. The biggest spontaneous thing we do is usually a local unplanned dinner or gathering with friends. lol!

14. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Same. If it's one of those lazy weekends that I don't want to be bothered, I might not have went. However, you can't beat a little family time. :) Sounds like you had fun Jan

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm always up for ditching the household chores for something more enjoyable. If I get a phone call with an invite to go somewhere or do something, I rarely turn it down. The chores will be always be there but the memories won't.

16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Being autistic, spontaneity causes me anxiety. I always need some warning and planning when possible.

Karen, IntenseMagic and jesskab like this.
  17. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

It's funny, I am really not good with change--I mean like really not good. I carry medication for anxiety in my backpack. But, I am known for spontaneous family trips. Our 1st San Diego trip was booked the night before. A couple of weeks ago, I rounded up the males & we had a day out in San Francisco. There was a streetcar celebration & we got to ride on a 100yr old streetcar. I do that a lot when we have free time. I go to sf.funcheap.com & see what's going on in the area. We've done all kinds of neat stuff, like the steam festival with really old steam powered machines. Maybe I'm only spontaneous with family outings, I'm not sure.

18. IntenseMagic

I do say "we'll see" pretty often, and I do have to mentally prepare no matter what, because chances are I've already planned out my time.

For me, it really depends a lot on who and what it is. Now that two of my kids are grown, I tend to jump at any chance to spend time with them.

It is easier as the kids get older for sure! You don't have to worry about as much stuff.
    The haunted amusement park is really fun! They have creepy people just roaming around and lots of fog machines!

I was totally spontaneous before kids and it's really a lot easier now that they are able to pack themselves and all I have to do is say "get ready and get in the car".

That's really cool about the job in Canada! I know it's really difficult for some to really be spontaneous.

That's great that you have one of each. You are flexible!!

I get that way at times, but I am not at all a type-a LOL

I have lots of those weekends I really want to be lazy, especially during the school year!!
    And it was really fun, thanks :)

Truth! But there is a little part of me that is much happier if the chores are done haha

I totally understand!! I have several students who are autistic at all ends of ability level, so I get it! In my first period class I have two students with autism...one morning last week, the girl came in and arranged the desks the way she likes them to be and where she wants her seat. She left to go to the bathroom and the boy came it and totally rearranged it the way he things it should be :giggle. Any change in our daily schedule throws all of them off.

Wow! I can't imagine booking a big trip in one night haha! Sounds like you are totally spontaneous when it comes to family fun!

19. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

[​IMG]

Karen, LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  20. IntenseMagic

:compcoffee

LoveItScrapIt and Tree City like this.