Soup season | Pad Patter 2/27

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Feb 28, 2023.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

It’s cold and snowy and damp and freezing here which is perfect weather to have soup! Soup for lunch or soup for dinner. It doesn’t matter it’s all a great idea to me! Do you make your own soup? Do you have a favorite recipe? What’s your favorite soup to eat? Do you have one you won’t eat? I like a lot of soup flavors. I love cream of mushroom, Italian wedding, minestrone, French onion & tomato. I can’t say I have ever had split pea soup but it doesn’t sound appealing to me.

umyesh likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I eat a lot of soup given its one of the easier things to make gluten free or buy gluten free. Today I happened to have Lamb & Vegetable for lunch

3. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

I made a huge casserole with soup last weekend, I used a bit meat (I'm not a big meateater), lots of vegetables (carrots, leeks, parsnip and celeriac)it was so good. I had forgotten how tasty homemade soup is.

4. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

We often eat "Träsksoppa" (Swamp Soup). It's my son who named it. I had made it, he looked at it and said "You two can eat swamp, I'll eat food." LOL

Basically, Träsksoppa is used by using up all the leftover veggies, just mixing them with water and add a stock cube and spices. At times, it do look like a swamp, but it's almost always yummy. Topping my soup with a drizzle of oil, and seeds and nuts, maybe chopped bell pepper or what ever I have at hand. Like this:

[​IMG]

Soup for me is leftover food, but I do make some other soups.

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I'm a soup eater. I usually throw whatever is going tired or at it's eat by date in the fridge in the pan. Basically that means my soups are rarely the same from one day to the next.

6. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I love a Broccoli, Chicken and Noodle soup that is creamy and cheesy-- kinda like Panera's Cheddar Broccoli but with Chicken and noodles added in.

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I just made Creamy Mexican Chicken Soup last night. I also love to make Shrimp Corn Chowder soup.

I have dishes that are not quite soups but not quite a stew. lol! A French Onion meatball dish, and a Italian Sub version (Which if my memory serves me right was from Rachel Ray 10 years ago).

8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I love love soup season
    We have a bunch of family favorites from homemade chicken and kniffle (German dumpling) ..to a hamburger soup tons of veggies
    To my famous award winning chili...
    And my best friends cheese burger bacon chowder soup with potato

9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We loved soup in the winter! Family faves are Chicken Gumbo, Potato, Minestrone, Seafood Chowder, Mushroom and Cauliflower. Taco soup is about the only one I don't like.

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I picked up some leeks from the farmer's market and I made this tonight. It was very good!!
    - I used Yukon golden potatoes
    - I used Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor for making the broth
    - I added 2 cloves minced garlic
    - I added about 1/4 cup half-n-half at the end
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/potato_leek_soup/

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Those sound yummy! Do you have the recipes?

12. jk703

I’ll post them in the AM! (I’m in bed, lol!

13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

My mom makes a good split pea soup but I don’t know that I’d try it from anyone else.

Do you make your own soup?
    If I do it’s chicken noodle with lots of chicken and noodles. My kids don’t love the carrots and celery in it so I have to skimp on those.

Do you have a favorite recipe?
    It’s been awhile so I can’t remember which recipe I prefer.

What’s your favorite soup to eat?
    Clam chowder.

Do you have one you won’t eat?
    Any that are too spicy.

14. jk703

15. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

16. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

We are having Hamburger Soup tonight! That's what we call it - a lot of people call it Beef & Barley ... to me that is without tomato base, Hamburger Soup has a tomato base. I like to make soup, but don't often have the time!

17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love homemade chicken noodle soup with egg noodles. I also like taco soup and chili (but don't know that chili is considered a soup? hmmm). I also make chicken and rice but it's not very soupy. I loved my Granny's vegetable soup as well as my Grandma's gumbo.

18. jk703

This is what I was able to copy and paste.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, plus 1/4 cup for croutons
    3/4 pound, 3 links, hot or sweet Italian sausage, split and meat removed from casing
    1/4 pound piece stick pepperoni, diced
    1 ham steak, diced (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound)
    1 green bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    6 cups chicken stock
    1/2 pound gemelli pasta or other short-cut pasta
    5 cups cubed crusty bread
    3 large cloves garlic, cracked from skin
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 bunches arugula, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)

Directions
    1. Place a soup pot or deep sided skillet on the stove top and preheat to medium high heat. Add olive oil, 2 turns of the pan and the sausage. Brown and crumble the sausage, drain off excess fat if necessary then add the ham and pepperoni. Cook meats together 2 minutes then add peppers and onions and cook 2 or 3 minutes more. Add diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and bring stoup to a boil. Stir in pasta and cook for 8 minutes. Make croutons while pasta cooks.
    2. In a large skillet heat about 1/4 cup of olive oil, 4 turns of the pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add bread to garlic oil, toss and toast the cubes 5 or 6 minutes. Season the toasty cubes with red pepper flakes, oregano and lots of grated cheese.
    3. Stir arugula into soup just before you serve it up. Ladle up the stoup and float several toasty garlic bread cubes in each bowl.
    HTH!

BevG, RebeccaH and tanteva like this.
  19. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I LOVE soup, and i almost always make it myself instead of using canned. Canned is so salty, and the textures aren't nearly as good as homemade. Some of our favorite go-to's are:
    * Spinach tortellini
    * Roasted tomato
    * Broccoli & Potato
    * Sweet potato, carrot, and broccoli (the thicker version of this also makes an amazing filling for a pot pie crust!)
    * Chicken pot pie stew (another one adaptable to pot pie filling)
    * Hamburger stew (basically ground beef or turkey w/ veggies and potatoes)
    * 7 Can Tortilla Soup

20. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I think I'm weird...so here goes!

Every single time I eat soup for a meal, I feel cheated - like I only got the appetizer!!

My favorite soup though - is home made Chicken Noodle soup with thick noodles and chunky veggies!