So Weird...|Pad Patter 3.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 25, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is munchkin's birthday. On birthdays I will make what you want for dinner, or we will go out where you want. Turning 9, I expected burgers & french fries, or pasta. Instead? He wants me to make butter chicken. I'm cool with that, but it's a little weird for an American 9 year old.

Then, breakfast this morning. His choice? Pineapple and applesauce. Not donuts like I expected. All I can think this morning is "My kid is so weird!". Then again, I like tomato with mac and cheese....Maybe I'm the weird one?

Either way. How about you? Have you shook your head later and thought "I/my spouse/my consin/my kid/my ____ is so weird!"

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Mine is.... both of them, and I let them know it. Then this turns into why not be weird? So, it evens out!

bestcee likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm the one that get's the "that's so weird of you" line LOL. My food choices sometimes get a raised eyebrow or question. I like ketchup on my pancakes, goulash in a sandwich (not now that I am low carb but for yrs I loved that), fries dipped in mayo mixed with chipotle and BBQ sauce. I don't think any of these are weird but some others do.

4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That seems a little strange for a 9 yo, Courtney, but hey - I guess I had weird "likes" even as a kid. I still do. I love ketchup with mac and cheese - tomatoes are good too. I also like ketchup with eggs. I never liked meat as a kid and I still don't really like it. I could live on mashed potatoes and cottage cheese. So, I'm a little weird, too. Happy birthday to Munchkin!

bestcee likes this.
  5. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

You haven’t lived until you had a grilled cheese made with provolone and strawberry jam! Try it really!

6. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My 9yo eats spaghetti with a spoon. It's actually both a fork (for the noodles) and a spoon (for the meat/sauce) but it's become a family inside joke.

bestcee likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Congrats on his birthday!
    Butter chicken sounds fabulous, but then so does tomato sauce (ketchup) with mac and cheese.
    Go with it, its memory keeping and documenting these quirks that keeps us sane.

bestcee likes this.
  8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Your 9 year old is a well rounded kiddo! Now, ketchup on Mac & Cheese? Yeah, my son would do that. He was one who put ketchup on as much as he could get away with! I grew up putting ketchup on Lima beans. :) Some think that is weird- but if you grew up with it?.. My son thinks its weird that I search the bag for "curled" potato chips. Always have and always will- they are the crunchiest, lol! Dad passed on the habit of Chocolate Ice cream accompanied with potato chips. Ohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh! The two foods highest on the unhealthy list together, LOL!

bestcee likes this.
  9. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Brody wanted pasta for his 11th bday dinner.

bestcee likes this.
  10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

My kids would totally choose butter chicken over a hamburger too (though they do like hamburgers). They love all kinds of ethnic foods ... Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, sushi, etc ... we live in a really urban area where there are lots of options, so they were exposed to everything at an early age. Even my 1.5 year old loves butter chicken!

To answer your original question, I think more people shake their heads at me than the other way around, lol :rofl

bestcee likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Daily, even hourly :giggle So much weirdness up in here.

bestcee likes this.
  12. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

What is butter chicken?

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

It's an Indian dish. It's SOOOO good. It's similar to tikka masala. We eat it out quite a bit, but I also make it. It's served over basmati rice. Love, love, love Indian food.
    https://cafedelites.com/butter-chicken/

bestcee likes this.
  14. Susan - s3js

Susan - s3js Well-Known Member

Oh, not so weird. I grew up on peanut butter and bologna sandwiches, potato chips in tuna fish sandwiches, and love curry on almost anything. He's just cosmopolitan!

bestcee likes this.
  15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My little boy will turn 10 tomorrow! He would pick anything Asian. ;) And the spicier the better.

I always say everyone is weird...nobody is normal. LOL.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DS eats sour cream by the spoonful. By.The.SPOONFUL. When we have it out for a recipe or a meal, we have a second spoon so he can get a spoonful right away. Then we all get what we need for our fajitas or whatever, and then we pass him the spoon. Sooooo weird. He also eats butter, which I'm partly to blame for cuz the pediatrician said he needed to gain weight, so I went home and gave him a little pat of butter. Next thing I know, he's on the counter literally digging into the butter!

But I'm weird too. I love to eat a bowl of graham crackers in milk for breakfast. (I know I've posted before asking for breakfast ideas...cuz mine are not healthy rofl!)

And Happy Birthday to your little guy, Courtney! :)

17. bestcee

It's called fry sauce in Utah. There the ketchup and mayo one, and the BBQ one. You just love in the wrong country :giggle

My mom does that! I prefer strawberry jam with my scrambled eggs.

Huh. The grilled cheese and provolone I was good with. The jam? Hmmm....

My mom dips her plain potato chips in sour cream. Not the dip kind, just straight sour cream.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. bestcee

This made me laugh! It totally makes sense though - spoon for the sauce.

It was. And I ketchup with Mac and cheese is Canadian. Mac and cheese with tomato's is like 1950? American.

Yes ma'am.

That's what I expected him to ask for! But he gobbled up the butter chicken.

Not a real urban areas. But he was born when I was going through a 'borrow all the cookbooks in the library and try them out' phase. So, between the CSA, America's Test Kitchen and the cookbook - he's had to eat some interesting things.

That's like the golden Graham cereal. Nothing wrong with that!

Tree City likes this.
  19. bestcee

What Sheri said! It's a mild curry dish, you can up the spice and heat, but we keep it mild.

20. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

When my son's dietitian first interviewed him about diet and asked what his favourite foods were she was stunned. He gave her a long list of different types of cheeses. If you gave him a choice of chocolate cake or cheese he'd go for cheese every time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019