So my son has decided. . .

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by tanbanan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

to run for SBO at his Jr. High. You would not believe the requirements that they have to make in order to run! And, what they are asking them to complete as part of the "election" process!

First, they have to have a GPA of 3.3~ not a problem for him
    Then, they have to have a CPA (citizenship point average) of 3.3 for each term this year. Well, 2nd term his CPA is a 3.25 and he has to write a letter to the Vice Principal to even see if they will allow him to run! Doesn't a 3.25 round up to a 3.3?! That's what I was taught in elementary school~

Next, their poster has to be 'approved' before it can even go up on the wall and they have certain dimensions and places where they can and cannot be hung.
    And, their 45 second speech also has to be approved prior to giving it. They can only have themselves and one other person in their speech and if they go over time, they will be stopped.

I'm just getting started. . . . .

33% of their points will come by popular vote.
    33% will come from teacher evaluations (which he has to give to 8 teacher's who he has had classes from this year)
    33% of their points come from their completion of a portfolio which asks them to complete the following~

1. Come up with a School Motto
    2. Using your motto, design a t-shirt to be sold as a fundraiser.
    3. Using your motto, explain how you would decorate either the float for the
    4th of July parade, or the display case in the common area.
    4. Create ideas for a 'Spirit Week.' Tell what you would do for each day and
    design an 81/2 x 11 poster.
    5. Come up with 5 or more activities that you could do during halftime, lunch
    or dances. Be creative.
    6. Plan a Welcome Back Assembly, 35 minutes long with an introduction,
    activity and conclusion.
    7. Place all of your ideas together in an orginal and creative way.

Is this CRAZY or what?! :dizzy And the timeframe is short. . . less than 10 days.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. ltarbox

ltarbox New Member

Holy cannoli Tana! That is insane! On the one hand, I'm glad they have some requirements that help to ensure that running for office isn't just about being "popular" and that they get kids who are willing to put in some work on behalf of their school. But, good grief! There's a limit, ya know. Good luck getting that all done. I really hope that citizenship thing won't keep him from running.

VOTE FOR BROCK!!!

3. Karah

Karah Karah

H.O.L.Y.C.O.W. So basically, what this means is that you, the mother, will be running around like a chicken with her head cut off for the next 10 days! ay yi yi.

4. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

Dang! And this is something he wants to do, huh?!?!?! If he's up for the challenge, I say support him 100%! Good to hear that it isn't a popularity contest either. Good Luck to your son!

5. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Holy BEEEEEP!!! That's a lot! That's incredible that if he's willing to do all! Good luck to him ;)

6. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

lol! That's exactly right Karah!

I'm completely onboard with them having standards and seeing if these kids are willing to 'follow through', but I'll be really upset if he doesn't make it and his/my creativity is used anyway because they are required to give all their ideas in the portfolio.

7. Ronisdragon

Ronisdragon Why can't someday be now?

That is crazy! I wish him lots of luck!if he doesn't win they certainly shouldn't be allowed to use his ideas!

8. purpleplasticpurse

purpleplasticpurse purpleplasticpurse

o.m.g. that's quite the laundry list!!! eep! how does he feel about it?

9. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Woah!! That's quite a bit to get done in less than 10 days. Good luck to him!!

10. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

By the looks of your gallery, you are totally up for the challenge! It will be a great experience, regardless! Think of all the teenagers out there who want nothing to do with their parents-- this is an opportunity to do something really great with him. Go for it!

11. renee82

renee82 renee82

Yikes! That seems a little excessive... How much does he want this? Good luck, Tana! ;)

12. Ams

Ams New Member

crazy ton of things to do! for both of you! I think it is great that he wants to go for it. :) Takes guts to put yourself out there! :) goodluck!!!

13. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

That is crazy!! Wishing him Good luck!

14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Wow! The whole portfolio thing sounds really involved! Best of luck to both of you!!