So many 1 photo challenges

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by kendrawalter, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

The 1 photo limit is challenging me more than the page itself. I scrap vacations and activities that all have several pictures I want to include on the page. I have scoured my photos so many times in the last week trying to decide if there is anything I can use just 1 photo for and I've just about exhausted my options. I try to use MOC to help me catch up on pages I need to make, and don't really want to scrap a throw away page for the sake of the challenge. Just praying the rest of the month isn't so limited on photos!

Do you all have any advice? I'm losing my mind over here everyone i see "use just 1 photo". I'm going to have to keep it in mind while talking pictures all year so I have something to scrap for next year's MOC!

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Will viewing it as part of a two page spread help? I have done at least three challenge pages so far as part of a two page spread (specifically my DYD album that I'm desperately trying to finish). Maybe pick one standout photo from an event/trip to do the challenge with and then make a companion/facing page for your album that has the rest of the photos?

angiekey, Pallavi01, sberkan and 3 others like this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Do you have a smart phone? You could take random snapshots to use. I do that a lot.
    Or try and use your favorite photos from events to showcase them?

LoveItScrapIt and jesskab like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have one that is going to be 1 photo on the left to meet the Blind Scrap challenge. But I'm making a companion that will have lots more photos for the other side.

And don't worry. There are still 22 days of challenges left!

Neverland Scraps and jesskab like this.
  5. kendrawalter

2 page spreads might just be the way to go! Thank you! I hadn't thought of that!

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am totally the same way... I use a crow bar to jam as many pictures as possible onto each page, so the one photo pages make me stop as think a lot more! Rather than consider it a throw away page though, maybe there is something that you could capture that would be in addition to an event or vacation... like, maybe a cover for your vacation book? Or a current even you want to remember? Like the passing of Prince or George Michael, or the election? Those are the things I'm thinking about doing. Hope this helps!

7. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I have to confess that this is one of the reasons I didn't do MOC. I only pocket scrap and many challenges don't provide enough flexibility. Maybe the whole point of the MOC is to push me to do something I don't normally do but right now I don't have time to create pages I won't use or will have to reconfigure. I'm not being at all critical - it's a great event, just doesn't work for me right now.

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Just add more to your page after you submit it for the challenge.

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

That's exactly what I do. Nothing says you can't change it after it's posted! I do it all the time, because a one-photo page is just a waste of space!

10. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

^^^^^me too :) I actually create the page with the other pictures in mind and add them later.

QuiltyMom and kendrawalter like this.
  11. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

See why this community is so awesome? I love all these solutions!

12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^ditto^^ :)

QuiltyMom, kendrawalter and jesskab like this.
  13. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

For most BIG events I like to highlight one photo that really sums things up or captures the moment - then have a second page with more photos when I have them.

To be honest, I now do a lot of pages with just one photo to capture the little things my kids do - things I want to hold on to, remember, because they are growing up so fast. We have the regular birthday parties and vacations and such, but it is the little things I forget, so I don't feel one photo pages are a waste at all @QuiltyMom , they help me remember who my kids are right now, in this moment. And a little random photo that I snap with my phone really brings it all home for me - but everyone is different. I used to feel the same way, that I need to get as many pics in as possible on each page. I guess my style has just changed. Now I put the stacks of pics in a photo album or pocket page (less work) then make scrapbook pages with just special ones I really like. life moves on.

I hope you find a system that works for you!

If not - I second the idea of saving it per challenge instructions - then adding more to make it what you want later - nothing wrong with that at all.

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

GASP!! :nope

LoveItScrapIt and Karen like this.
  15. kendrawalter

You all are the best! I thought I was the only one who didn't like 1 photo pages! I think for today I'll make a "close page" for one of my books. 2 page layouts will have to become a new norm for me so I can get it all in and still play along.

I'll try to add to a page after submitting. I feel like that will be a challenge because I don't know if I can visualize it while still trying to make something pretty to submit, but it's a great suggestion!

I don't have kids, It's just me and my boyfriend, so little moments aren't really a common occurrence around here. I don't know, taking pictures of us watching TV or eating dinner might get a little repetitive lol (though, I do have a funny picture of Jason wearing my super girly apron..that might have to make the book!)

16. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I have difficulty with 1 photo pages too. I love cramming as many as I can on to the page. I do single pages and a lot of two page spreads, and then at the end of each month I scrap any extras on an extras page.
    BUT I have had so many little stories lately that there are too many for my extras page. Like a single photo of my son asleep again, or eating again, or look a potato, or my daughter doing some random thing that I don't really have a big story to tell, or any story at all. Stories that don't need a full page, but I still want to include them.

Solution for me
    - I print my pages when I can and put them in albums, so I just started to include pocket pages here and there and I scrap cute 6x4 / 3x4 pages with my little stories on them. Usually they only have 1 photo, and it means I can do those 1 photo pages for challenges, whether I scrap a full 12x12 and crop it smaller later or just do the 6x4 to start with. The only hurdle then was that they didn't all match, eeep! But now I like them being all different and I can fit 8 little stories on a page with the pocket pages I found.

This is one that I made for a blog template challenge before I started doing the pocket pages, and later I decided I would shrink it to 6x4.
    [​IMG]

Solution for you - Even with a vacation page, you could do a 6x4 / 3x2 (if the challenge allows it) with one photo, and then make a bunch of them with the other photos and the same kit(s) to put all on one page to look like a pocket page. That way you have a beautiful 12x12 pocket page, but you have done each bit separately for 1 photo challenges.

Hope you can find a way to be at peace with 1 photo pages. It took me a long time, but I finally feel good about them, lol!
    And sorry for talking so much, bahaha!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I take soooo many photos, and I try my best to scrap them all. I'm a retired photojournalist, so it's built into me. To me it's telling a story of all the moments that took place during the event. I don't want to miss anything!

But I do like the idea of highlighting a photo, too. One (very large! hee hee) photo can speak volumes.

Haha! I know. Sacrilegious, eh?

LoveItScrapIt, Karen and mimisgirl like this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well, when you print almost every page you make, it starts to translate into wasted $$. Not much per page perhaps, but through out a book, yeah, it adds up.

vanessasmed and michelepixels like this.
  19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

I also have a hard time scrapping 1 photo layouts! I take so many photos, and usually rely on the photos to help tell the story. Everyone has some great suggestions!

Another one, use the one photo challenges for the cover or title page for an album. This can work really well for travel books. Chose one photo that is your favorite from the trip, and use it to create the cover/title for that album! Good luck!!! If I can do it, you can do it!!!

kendrawalter likes this.
  20. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks ladies for all the great ideas. I, too, have problems with the 1 photo pages but without the MOC #9 restrictions of having to keep it to 1/4 of the page, it would be easier for me since I like larger photos. I also tend to be "wordy" - loving to tell the story and often one photo works well for that.

michelepixels likes this.