So...is anyone using a kettlebell?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by javamonster, Nov 19, 2014.

1. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Over the past few months, I really let go. So did my daughter; I think we each gained at least ten pounds a month due to the both of us binge eating. :(

So, I took advantage of the CyberMonday sales and bought a kettlebell DVD I've been lusting after for months. (you know how it is, right? want to get healthy, but see the Pretty in the store, so you spend the money there?) It'll arrive tomorrow.

Anyone in the mood to buddy up?

2. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

3. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I have never used a Kettlebell and confess to not really wanting to, but I DO need to do something to get some exercise! :)

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i am feeling this. too cold for me to want to get out and run and our treadmill is broken at the moment. i need to DO something too. i may bite on this ...

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Kettlebell is a great workout! I keep saying I'm going to buy one but then the price offends my delicate sensibilities as it's basically just a hunk of concrete :giggle

I swear if I find one on sale, I'm getting it!

6. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Wow, the DVD arrived this *morning*, early! I'll have to wait to watch it. There's a college kid asleep on the couch.

A few years ago I bought an 8 lb and a 15 lb kettlebell at Ross Dress for Less (or was it TJ Maxx? I don't remember). They're cheapy versions of the Real Things, and are kind of rough on the hands, but they do the job. There are lots of alternatives to the iron bells that sell for $$$.

While you can use dumb bells for kettlebell moves, you don't get the same movements out of them as you would a free-swinging bell. I know: I've done it both ways, LOL.

And I forgot, I'm going to have to figure out what to do with our dogs. I don't want to accidentally injure or kill one with a swinging bell. Hmm. Guess they'll have to be either outside or inside, depending on the weather while I do this.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  7. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I use a kettle bell often in my cross fit classes. I love them and am amazed at the weight I can do now. Just be very careful...proper posture is so important! I'm sure your DVD will go over all of that!

8. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

The heaviest I use now is 35#. Sometimes I use a 26# for things, but it doesn't take long before you need the heavier ones!

9. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

ITA about fom while using the KB's. Three years ago now, I was swinging my 15 lb bell, and suddenly my left hip was killing me. I'd developed several bone spurs in my hip joint (mostly on the femur ball joint) and my sciatic nerve acted up at the same time. THAT was not a fun four months recovering from that. I don't know how much the KBs had to do with it, but the repetitive movements probably didn't help. I was doing stretching and other things, too, so it wasn't all the KBs, I think.

Anyway, I've been eyeing heavier bells, but until I gain strength, I'll stick with the measly 15# one I've got now. I'd love to move up the weights you're using!

10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

YES, keep your form. Remember it's all in the hip movement. We were just doing KBs today at Crossfit and I was lazy and did the 25# one.

Angie,
    Do you have one of those places where you buy used sports equipment? They usually have kettlebells!

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i bought a cheapo set that came with a dvd yesterday ... will give it a go tomorrow. i just want to see if i like it bf spending $...

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

They are fun, and there is quite a few variations.

13. gybogi

gybogi Giddiyup!

we use kettlebells. my hubby started it and it is very good! the are a few work out on you tube too if you want to check...:)

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I got one for Xmas and am going to do a jillian michaels dvd that uses weights and a kettlebell. I started using them a few yrs ago when I was doing bootcamp classes.

15. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!